Topic

Reseal exped?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Jen Klaudinyi BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm

So, I just acquired an Exped Synmat ul 7 at the rei garage sale. I've seen all of the talk about cutting and resealing neoairs. Has anyone done this with an Exped?

doug thomas BPL Member
PostedOct 13, 2013 at 5:52 am

Check with mark ries, he cut one down and resealed one with no leaks, not sure how he did it though.

PostedOct 13, 2013 at 8:51 am

Look for the post about resealing the Big Agnes insulated air core. Should be pretty similar. You'll have to use some double sided iron on fabric tape to seal the baffle parts when you cut it down.

I also got a Synmat UL 7, for only $10, at the garage sale. It's actually in mint condition with no stains and surprisingly, 0 leaks. I slept on it for a couple hours and did a bathtub check and no leaks. I was super lucky.

I didn't go early, the best deals were later in the day when they did extra 50% off, and the discounts just got better as the time went on. At one point, all shoes were $10.

Jen Klaudinyi BPL Member
PostedOct 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

In the meantime, I did the plunge test to identify the slow leak that it has and found that the inflation valve has a crack (under the cap on the sidewall of the valve), so not sure I'm gonna be able to fix it :(

PostedOct 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Check out your local hobby store for some plastiweld or plastruct (I think they're the same thing). It may work on the valve. It soften/melts the plastic slightly and "welds" it together. You'll want to use a very small amount and let it flow into the crack by capillary action.

If all else fails, that could be your option. Super glue won't really work as it isn't really for plastics.

PostedOct 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

I cut a syn at in half and resealed the cut ends and put a thermarest valve and valve block in the corner of the cut off pad. One is good no leaks, the one I put the valve in has a very slow leak by the valve block. I wish I had not tried to heat seal the valve block in and bonded it instead. When I get some shoe goo opened I will redo.

PostedOct 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I trimmed the insulation back about 1-1/2" and also cut the baffles back inside I can't remember the heat setting I used but I think that I've read since that you should use the hottest setting but you may want to check what others have used. There is a u tube video that someone sent me the link to when I asked the same question you did,you might search on here using my name and cutting down a synmat ul.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...