Topic

Mylar Bath Tub Floor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mylar Bath Tub Floor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I am thinking about trying to make a BT floor/ground sheet from a mylar space blanket. I think I've got the corner cuts figured out, but how to bond it? Tape?- if so, what kind (keeping it light) or glue?- again, be specific.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I would use basic clear packing tape. It will far outlast the mylar space blanket.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You could use 3M 9460 tape like they do for Cuben tents,

Jesse D.
    BPL Member

@upcountry

Locale: Lassen Co.

I opted to give a "space blanket" a try as a floor for my Golite Shangri La 1 on my last trip out. It worked great, and with temperatures dipping into the teens, I feel like the reflective nature of it might have actually even helped preserve the R value of my sleeping pad. With that, I opted to use one of the SOL Emergency Blankets rather than the really cheap and crinkly mylar ones you commonly see. The SOL version is much tougher, nearly silent, and also a little bigger at 54"x86", and still under 3oz. It worked perfectly for the size of my Shangri La and left me a few inches to curve up against the wall when the wind was creeping in. I think that some packing tape would be more than sufficient, and it might be worth doubling some of the tape jobs so that in the event that you get the inevitable hole in it, you can peel a layer of tape off of and use it as a patch.

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

I screwed around for awhile trying to figure out a nice way to tape the corners to create a tub. Then I discovered that just tying a loose overhand knot in each corner was waaaaay better, takes no supplies, is adjustable, and most importantly takes no time. After all, we're talking about a groundsheet that's disposable.

I applied one zpacks 2.5" x 2.5" Stick on Loop (1.7gm each) in each inner corner of my Solomid and then threaded the zpacks "tiny cord lock" and their 1/16" shock cord through it. Then I could adjust the tension of the groundsheet at the cord lock. It will make more sense looking at the pics I think.1234

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Excellent!
    Thank You.

I have placed my SOL order and will soon have a new floor.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Terrific idea!!!! It looks like you have it all figured out…Nice!

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Here's more pics so you can get an idea of how large a tub you can make with an SOL Emergency Blanket. In the previous pics, I had adjusted the knots to make it a little smaller so that it would fit the Solomid.567

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Randy,

Did you use the 1 person or 2 person SOL Blanket?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Totally brilliant use of materials! That floor is tall enough to make a very effective wind break too. If things were cold, wet windy and nasty, you could take it loose and wrap it around you. It still has emergency use for first aid. I like it!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Doh! A great and simple idea!

I've used these blankets as a ground sheet but never thought about using it this way.

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Dean, it's a 2 person. :)

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Dale, I really dig the wind break function of the higher walls. I'm glad you mentioned converting it to a snug wrap if things got bad. I hadn't considered that.

I also like the idea of having one side that's bright orange and can be used for a signal device. I hope I never need it, but the recent snowstorm in the PNW with waist-deep snow brought an interesting reality check. The 23 year old PCT hiker, Alejandra Wilson, was bogged down in it and waited it out for several days before finally making her way out on her own. She saw the Coast Guard helicopter searching for her but "wasn't able to make herself visible." And as it flew away, she confessed to wondering if she would be able to survive, because she was so cold that she couldn't even sleep at night and just sat up and shivered. Scary situation, and it made me wonder if something bright like the SOL Blanket could've caught their attention. Sure couldn't hurt if it's built right into your gear and doesn't cost any extra weight.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The signal value of the blanket would have been okay, but a mirror, bright headlamp and most of all, a big old bonfire would have been much better.

I'll opt for staying dry :) I need to make one of these floors for my SMD Gatewood Cape shelter.

Now, figure out a way to glue a tulle window curtain sheer liner to it for a bug screen.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

How long do these usually last when used as groundsheets? Any comparison to polycro in regards to durability and compactness?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Oh duh! Asking about polycryo vs the AMK material made the lightbulb go on! No reason you couldn't use polycryo to make a bathtub floor the same way.

That photo with the sleeping bag looks like a bear's take out dinner package :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

With a reflective material, it will be a little warmer so there will be less condensation, especially from your breath.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Randy,

Man, a huge +1!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All the emergency info printed on the one side will scratch off in snow. Leaving black dust on anything damp. Once that all wears off you will probably have a hole or another reason to start the process over. But so much nicer in every other way compared to the standard mylar ones. Would like to see them offered with no printing on them though.

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Ken, I've gone through several of the SOL blankets in the past couple years and haven't had a problem with the flaking. I've noticed that some of the lettering comes off, but I haven't noticed it sticking to anything in particular. It just seems to sort of vanish.

John, I don't have hardly any experience with the polycro, so I can't compare it for you. How long it will last would totally depend on the type of environment you're using it in. The rocky Sierras will shred about anything it seems. I put a small rock twice the size of a golf ball in the corner of my zpacks cuben groundsheet on my last trip to hold it in place and found that apparently a sharp edge punctured it. And that's the thicker cuben; not the thinner stuff used for shelters. Frustrating. I've started laying my CCF pad down first and putting my groundsheet over it so that the foam pad can take the brunt of the punishment. The Ridgerest (which many loath) stands up to the abuse and nearly self-seals itself after a puncture. This will definitely extend the life of my groundsheets.

As Dale pointed out, you could do the same thing with a polycro sheet or any other material that floats your boat. That's the main thing of value that I've learned from this experimenting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cuben is notoriously bad for abrasive and puncture resistance. That's the thin mylar films that are used.

I just got finished working with a piece of 1 oz cuben, and even the mylar film on the outside edges of that is pretty weak/fragile. Polycryo is much better in that department.

Btw, nice idea and execution of same. I'm planning on rigging up something inside my Tipi tent, sort of as a liner to take better advantage of the titanium wood stove that goes with same.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Polycryo works well because it tends to stretch over rocks and roots rather than tearing. The AMK blanket has some of that property too. I was enamoured with the polycryo option because a already own a couple big sheets. :)

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Dale, it looks like I'm laying on a nice shiny oven tray ;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Turkey roaster more likely ;)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools