Topic

3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 277 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

My flight gets into Vegas at 10am Friday. I will be driving to Zion direct.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"could possibly try and get a read on the high country snow when you are there.
    thanks."

Art, I posted on the other (logistics?) thread when I got back. Going up to Angel's Landing, there was no snow, no ice, no sign of snow or ice anywhere up to the top (5700 elevation) nor could I see any in the backcountry.

Virgin River flow was pretty low in Zion Narrows 55-60 cfs and cold, maybe 45F. Air temps were low 60s most days, clear nights left the mornings at 36F. Cloud cover before our hike left it 48 at Zion Lodge, about 46F on top but blowing 20, gusting 30 on top.mg src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1395213416_101177.jpg" alt="sign" width="550" height="736">on topZion Narrows

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

David – thanks for weather update.

nice photos.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dave- nice pics! :)

I spent the last week in GA at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)- got a few 5-6 mile runs in, Wed. I found a route that was about 8 miles- about half way into this route I felt a little slight burn in my achilles area, pulled back the pace, still burned so I walked- the pain shifted (and intensified) into my heel. It was bad enough that I had to limp back to the dorm. The next morning it was bad enough that I couldn't put any weight on it at all- this was the day I flew out and was forced to limp around three different airports. Yesterday went into the doc and the took an x-ray, nothing showed up, but they said a stress fracture in the foot rarely does until a couple of weeks later after the bone starts to stitch itself.

So…… I'm resting, icing and taking NSAIDs- hopefully I see some improvement soon. The upside is I'm getting to watch every NCAA game :)

Mike

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Good luck on the recovery. Sometimes injury go away as quick as they come. Hope that is the case for you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hope this works itself out Mike.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike – I fought achilles pain for 2 years, probably because I would not stop running.
    I finished a couple 50 milers and could not walk for 2 days after, but a week later could run again.

yes ice,
    also, if you can stretch your ""upper"" calf muscle by standing and leaning against the wall. often calf tension will lead to Achilles issues, and this stretch has helped me out a lot, the pain was in my heal but working the calf muscle with stretching and massage is what helped the most.

if you exercise, warm up well, and don't sprint for a while.
    my guess is that nice Georgia weather got you all exited about running and you pushed the pace a bit, much different than snow shoeing.

… this is assuming its just a tendon problem and not a stress fracture.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

on another note …

anyone heard from Eugene lately ?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Mike, Sorry to hear that. Feel better soon.

I'm battling some sort of muscle injury the last week and a half. Of all things I think I pulled something in my calf messing around with my kids at the park. I have not attempted to run on it, just resting up now.

Art, I have not heard from Eugene. I sent him a msg bout a week or two ago with no response. I'm friends with him on FB; I get the sense he's been super busy with races lately.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

How are the injuries coming along guys?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

me and John V. are good to go.

Mike … how is the Achilles ?

True story
    John had to abort a 50 mile race last week to carry a woman on his back 4 miles up a remote single track because she tripped and broke her leg.
    so if anyone can't make the whole Zion Traverse on their own power … he's your man.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art- achilles is fine, unfortunately my heel definitely has a stress fracture :( I'm just now able to put a little weight on it, but am still limping

Sadly I'm going to be a no go, if I thought I could even hike a bit I'd go, but I'm pretty sure my best bet at recovery is to stay off of it until fully healed.

The reservation for the camp site is still good and I'm 99.9% sure that as a group site I don't need to physically be there- I'll call them to confirm that tomorrow. So there should be no problem with the camp site.

I know that injuries are part of the game, but this one really hurts (figuratively, but also literally). I know there is no good time to get injured, but right before a trip you've been looking forward to for months, just plain sucks.

Maybe I can pull a Carlos Castaneda, so keep a close eye on any odd looking crows!

Mike

David Ure

@familyguy

Running sounds dangerous.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike – can you give me an email address or ph number so we can discuss the camp site.

Craig – can I get your email also.

Greg – can I get your email also.

this situation has gotten small enough I don't really want to continue it on the forum.

thanks
    art

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Damn Mike, bad timing. Injury sucks. I hope it heals up soon for you.

As for me, my leg is feeling alright and I plan to run. I know we've lost some folks lately but hoping we can still salvage something here, even if it just turns into a camping trip.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm alive and well.

My recent MIA status has been a result of several busy weeks juggling another successful year of race directing for the Sierra Vista Trail Runs with my good friend Dan C., here in our city, as well as running and racing a few myself, working, and balancing as best I can all of this with Mi Familia. I messaged Jacob D., as he reached out this week, and let him know that I had to make the decision to bail, *once again, on meeting up with all of you guys for Zion. This seems to be a pattern of mine, get jazzed to connect with everyone, train, make plans, change plans, etc…. I apologize for the late pullout from the roster, fellas. I'm bummed, but I know I'll meet up with some, or all, of you in the future in some capacity.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art- you have your pm turned off, here's my phone four zero six- 439- seven, one, one, zero

Eugene- sorry you can't make it

Jacob- glad to hear your healing!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavor.

– Sir Ernest Shackleton

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sorry you can't make it Eugene.

For anyone following this here, Art got a site at Watchman that'll be cheaper than Mike's group site.

Adan and I have permits to do two canyons. We plan on doing a short one on Friday and then spending ~12 hours out on Saturday. We should be able to drive you all to the trailhead Saturday morning. Our shuttle doesn't leave until 9:30.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Gents- got the group site cancelled; have a great time and please post up pics and trip report(s)!

Mike

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks for helping out Mike, sorry you can't get out there. Can I help you with the cancellation fee?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

70 and sunny for the high. Doesn't get any better than that!!!!! Mentally I am already sitting in the desert watching the sunset. Physically I leave Friday morning. If only body could catch up with the mind.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

for those arriving Thursday :
    Watchman camp site C 7

for those arriving Friday :
    Watchman camp site B 25

(had to combine 2 cancellations to make it work).

one weather report I've seen says as low as 25* at night at the start and finish.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art & Gents- my friend Grant and his wife Robin are still coming, I think he may only be in the run to Grotto, but that could change. Craig- I gave him your telephone # (it's the only one I have)

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike – that's great.
    the only issue is we now have a single camp site for 6.
    do you know what their plans are, arrival, accommodations ?
    South Campground is first come first serve should we try and nab one for them ?

feel free to pass on my email address.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 277 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools