Topic

Classic Backcountry Coffee System Revived!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Classic Backcountry Coffee System Revived!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Heck
    BPL Member

@heckdog

Not the lightest system but I do like pressed coffee. Good to see someone improving a classic and making it available again.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I see that you and the person making this are both from Flagstaff,do you know him?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

He's got his funding.

Now we wait for a non biased review…

Ryan Heck
    BPL Member

@heckdog

Yes, Brian is has been a GC guide here is flagstaff and is an all around great dude.

It's from 2006 but here is a review of the old system

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/Press-Bot-Coffee-Filter.html

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Definitely not the lightest solution for coffee, but other than Cowboy coffee and Via packets, most backcountry coffee solutions that yield more than a decent cup or two aren't light by BPL standards.

I'd pack a Press Bot in on a winter hike or fat laden weekend trip, especially if I was sharing miles and smiles with a few others. I think its a slick product that clearly works and doesn't take up any room, assuming you already have a Nalgene with you.

What is the target audience for this press?

I'm not familiar with raft guiding gear and packing styles, but I get the impression weight matters very little in that camp and slipping in a real deal Bialetti or traditional group sized press system isn't a big deal. Would they use something like this? Traditional weight backpackers seem to pack separate items for specific purposes, shying away from niche multi-use items like the Press Bot. Is this sorta lost on them?

Generally, lightweight hikers of the BPL variety, IME, forgo coffee altogether, or settle for instant solutions that 'get the job done', sacrificing some quality for efficiency (*weight). Of course coffee tastes run the gamut and what defines a "quality" cup of brew is up for debate.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Eugene,

When I've rafted, including GCNP, it was striking how the boat still floats, regardless of how much it is loaded. So 3-burner grills, a lawn chair for each person and 4 beers per person per day are the norm. It is a totally different world when you haul in heads of lettuce and haul out your own poop.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I'm not a coffee drinker, but 2.4 ounces sounds good to me. In other words, if I was a coffee drinker, and this was capable of making better coffee, than an extra couple ounces seems like a pretty small price to pay (of course, you have to factor in the difference between a Nalgene and a different water bottle).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"It is a totally different world when you haul in heads of lettuce and haul out your own poop."

David, are these two items closely related?

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

OK, Rick. Good point. In a "blue bag" zone (that is, an area where you have to carry out everything, including your feces) this type of coffee probably doesn't make sense. But most folks spend very little time in that zone. They routinely dig a hole or find an outhouse. The spent coffee grounds can go in there.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Generally, lightweight hikers of the BPL variety, IME, forgo coffee altogether, or
    > settle for instant solutions that 'get the job done', sacrificing some quality for
    > efficiency

You have GOT to be kidding!!!!
    The words 'instant' and 'coffee' should never be combined in one sentence !!!

Cheers

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"It is possible to get the same flavor using the far simpler $10 GSI H2JO! (48g/1.7oz) and widemouth Nalgene/Thermos bottle"

+1

Makes a decent pre-filter for the clear water we have here also.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have not solved the coffee equation fully for myself. I have an REI press mug that is fine for car camping but heavy as all getout for a backpacking trip. Although it does have a heavy steel handle that could perhaps be removed (think it might even screw on…) to lighten it up a bit. It works great however.

I've tried Via and Nescafe packs and Via is about as decent as I've experienced given how little it weighs.

Still – I'd carry a little more weight for a decent cup of coffee. I think I read in another thread that the Jetboil press fits the Snow Peak 700ml mug – if that is true it might encourage me to buy one of those SPs!

The regular SP press looks nice but is a steep price for what it is – although I suppose the ti pot could work for heating water on a stove as well as another pot – it is a bit slim…

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you don't want to use VIA (it's okay, but requires two packets for a small cup) this is really light and works very well:

http://www.campmor.com/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=17467ORA&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

I still use paper filters, but let everything dry out before packing up. Cleanup is much easier that way.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Sarah's blog just reviewed a new product — Javi Coffee Cubes. I haven't tried them, but they looked intriguing…and actually less expensive than Starbucks Via.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

+1 on the Montbell filter. I tried it on a whim and used it the last 2 weekends, it produced a decent cup, better than Via for sure, through a lot heavier packing in the ground coffee.

I struggle to see why some pack out spent coffee grounds, they're a great composting item, so what's the problem of leaving them in the backcountry next to the raccoon and coyote scat? Earthworms sure do like them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Javi Coffee Cubes. I haven't tried them, but they looked intriguing…and actually less expensive than Starbucks Via."

Unfortunately, Jiva coffee cubes all come pre-sweetened. A non starter for many, I suspect

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You have GOT to be kidding!!!!
    The words 'instant' and 'coffee' should never be combined in one sentence !!!"

Bear in mind this is America, where gratification in all its permutations is…instant. An entire economy has developed to support it. ;0)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Cowboy coffee is not that hard to make well. I like it so much I make it at home more often than not. Clelland's article here is still the definitive and exhaustive word on the subject.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

^ David, really? Not even a filtered pot from the ol' Mr. Coffee?

You Montanans are a rough breed.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

yeah – cowboy coffee is not doing it for me either – tried once and just could not get past the grinds… I'm sure my technique (or lack thereof) did not help.

I'll keep trying solutions.

I am curious about the coffee grounds and packing them out – apparently it is a hotly contested issue. I would think that environmentally – if buried or scattered away from well used campgrounds – coffee grounds would have close to zero environmental impact. I intentionally put them around my azaleas. Strict LNT would appear to say you bring it in you take it out regardless of the practical implications…

Some use instant to not have to deal with the grounds at all it would appear.

Not wanting to start a flame war but curious if that generally frames the issue on both sides with this group.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Well, since I make a camp fire disposing of coffee grounds is not a problem. I have packed them out before, after drying them by the fire, but it really is not necessary. If you have a fire the coffee grounds appear to burn in the fire. I have never been able to find them after the fire is out; and yes, I have looked many times.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I brew my cowboy coffee with a very fine Turkish Grind. The video has been posted here before but for me, it's key to bring the water to a boil, add the grinds, return it to a boil, and then remove from heat. If you YouTube "Turkish Coffee", this technique seems to be pretty standard. Greek Coffee is pretty much the same thing but I believe that they boil it three times.

The grinds (again, Turkish ground) settle to the bottom of the mug and don't bother me. This is what coffee is like through much of Eastern Europe and it's in my opinion far superior to Starbucks.

I'm now playing around with cold-brew coffee (toddy). I tried it earlier this week and it shows promise for the backcountry. I threw the grounds (coarse grind) in 16oz of cold water before going to sleep. It's pretty easy to keep 95% of the grounds out of your mug the following morning by being careful when you pour but a bandana or equivalent would work to filter out the remaining grounds. The grinds don't bother me so I didn't bother. You'd then simply heat the coffee to your temperature preference.

The flavor is different than cowboy/Turkish coffee but not objectionable. I haven’t decided which I like better but the cold brew is the easiest (not that cowboy/Turkish coffee is all that difficult). Still better than the instant coffees I've tried.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools