I have a traditional self-made aluminum flashing windscreen for my SuperCat stove, and on a recent windy morning I could not keep the stove lit due to wind. My alum flashing windscreen has relatively small 1/4" holes along the base of the screen, about 5/16 from bottom edge to center of the 37 vent holes…in other words, relatively small holes that are pretty close to the base of the windscreen. I'm thinking that should be reasonably effective in breaking up direct wind, and errs on the side of holes that are too small for a SuperCat, if anything. (SuperCats need loads of air.) The screen is 2-1/4" tall so it nests inside a Grease Pot.
I've been pondering my windscreen problem.
I was reading some of Zelph's old posts. One in particular, where he noticed how screen door mesh really cut down on a brisk wind. Has anyone tried just plain mesh for a windscreen…if so, what happens? I imagine you'd lose a lot of the reflective nature of the windscreen with all mesh, but does an all-mesh windscreen tame the wind, with its much much smaller holes?
I've also considered somehow affixing a strip of screen just around the holes of my alum flash windscreen, to baffle the air even further.
I've also considered making a plain, short (1" high), unperforated inner ring of flashing, sitting perhaps a quarter inch inside my existing windscreen, whose job it is to simply break up any direct wind coming through the 1/4" holes.
Another fix, which I don't want to contemplate, is making a taller windscreen that doesn't nest.
Ideas? Are my descriptions clear, do I need to post photos?



