Topic

StarLyte Burner for Simmering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals StarLyte Burner for Simmering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I created this special StarLyte burner to be used as a "designated" burner for simmering.

Weighs 1/2 ounce and holds 1.250 ounces of fuel in suspension for safe handling.

Burns for 16 minutes on 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Comes with lid.

Special Sale Price for BPL members is $12.00 total cost that includes shipping in CONUS. Sale is for 7 days only.
    Use special paypal button at bottom of page that is designated for BPL members.

Limit 1 (one) per customer.

StarLyte Burner for Simmering

The one on the far right is the one for simmering.
    The one in the middle is the modified burner.
    The one on the left is the original burner.
     photo seatosumitbowl004_zps2dbe922d.jpg

This is a photobucket video, click on the photo to view video.
     video SimmeringStarLyte_zpsfe37c86f.mp4

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you Davenport, CA. I'll begin shipping orders on Monday.

Thank you Richland, WA

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Reading a recent thread gave me the idea to create this burner.

This thread is what inspired me to create a designated simmer stove/burner

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Since you are essentially just reducing the amount of flame area. Could the same not be done with a washer in the center?

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

The problem with a washer or similar is it doesn't seal off the top area as well. Result is stove start off slow but then really picks up speed as things warm up.

Here is my work in progress for simmering with a starlyte:

simmertop

simmer on

Tooling foil- 1-2grs. Will simmer 15ml (12gr) alchy for 23mins.

Edited to correct my units (15 fluid Oz's is a lot :() )

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ken, I agree with James. Once the burner heats up the vapors will start coming out from the outer edges of the washer and negate the simmer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I see what goes on now. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dan,

Slightly off topic, but how do you think a Starlyte necked down for simmering would work for just plain heating water to, say, 170 degrees. I am thinking fuel efficiency here. Time is not that important for me.

Thanks,

Tom

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Tom, It's always been my belief that slower is better for efficiency. The necked down StarLtye for simmering is slower and more efficient. It would be great for your 170 degree water.

Sgt. Rock of Hiking Headquarters.com and the designer of the Ion stove advocates "slower" as does Tony Beasley designer of the Volcano alcohol stove.

Here is link to Tony's thread here at BPL that gives some good info:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12503

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Sent you an order on this stove plus a question.
    Thanks
    Robert

Alpine Dad
    Spectator

@alpinedad

Is there an option for Canadian BPL members?

Cheers

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Robert, got the message and both orders, one of each, will ship today, thank you :-)

Alpine Dad, I'll make a paypal button for international orders today for BPL members. Thanks for the reminder ;)

I had a thought yesterday that one of each burners, regular and the simmer burner could be JB welded together by their bottoms. The simmer one could be filled with enough fuel to simmer for however long you wanted and the cap put on. The regular one filled with enough fuel to bring your water to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, lift the pot, blow the burner out, flip over and ignite the simmer burner. Just a thought and I'll try it as soon as I can get time to play :-)

James K, what size hole and are you pleased with the flame output?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you!

Virginia Beach, VA……….ORLANDO, FL…………..RAYMOND, WA ………….Seattle, WA ………………metairie, LA ……………..jonesville, SC………..Hereford, AZ ……………….Little Rock, AR ……………….Yorktown, VA

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Great idea. Looking forward to the results

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Ordered. YAY! Thanks Dan!:-))

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Is there an option for Canadian BPL members?"

It should work as well at high latitudes as it does at high altitudes.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I created a paypal button for Canadian and European BPL members.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Thank you to all that have purchased this new burner option :-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It's always been my belief that slower is better for efficiency. The necked down StarLtye for simmering is slower and more efficient. It would be great for your 170 degree water."

That has always been my belief as well, Dan, no matter what kind of stove I'm using,
    but it is good to get confirmation from an expert. Matter of fact, I believed it enough to order one of your "Simmerlytes" before I even read your reply. ;0)

Thanks for the quick response.

Tom

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

The snap on piece in my pic above has an opening if ~2cm / 7/8".

I haven't settled on it as optimized. I like the burn rate of this one in the kitchen but bet the output may be too little out in the cold. I may do a few different sizes and pick one to suit based on conditions.

Note that the burn rate I give above (.5grs/min) is inside a cone stand with pot. Stove all by itself (with/o all if the reflected thermal feedback is much slower).

I bet you could make a really nice set of these add ons that could be accessories to the cone compatible starlyte.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Tom, thanks for your comment. When we think back on how well the Esbitmizer worked because the burn rate could be slowed down by sliding the lid over it we can apply the principle to the StarLyte burner as well. I had to retire the burner because I could not purchase the same size container from the original source, discontinued….bummer. I like how you named the new burner "Simmerlytes" :-)

James, I was a little leary going any smaller with the diameter opening on the burner but may go one size smaller and do some testing in cold weather when alcohol is harder to light when there is a little breeze.

Thank you Desert Dweller :-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I made them back to back, one regular and one simmer, and did one test. 1/2 ounce in each burner. Set it down on a sheet of silicone rubber to seal the bottom "simmer" burner while the regular burner went it's coude through the 1/2 ounce. No vapors were noticed coming from the bottom burner. I tested it occasionall with a lit match touched to the base edge. I tried turning the unit over when the top burner was almost out and whooompfh, the bottom burner lit instantly with a large amount of flame. condensed fuel was on the silicone pad aflame :-))))) So, the unit would have to be fueled one at a time.

It took a long time for the bottom burner to heat up to a point of not being able to hold onto for very long. I think I could have had a lid on the bottom burner while the top was boiling water. Blow out the top burner, turn over, remove lid and then light. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Photobucket video, click on photo to view:

video backtobackburners_zps40660732.mp4

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Thanks for the BPL deal, Zelph. Just put in an order.

Can you tell me, in moderate ambient temperatures, how long it takes to boil 2 cups with the SimmerLyte?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hey Dan,

Is this (simmer ring) something I can adapt to my original StarLyte, or do I need to buy a completely new stove in addition to my existing StarLyte?

Thanks, Jack

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"Delmar" thank you for your purchase. I'll boil 2 cups today and post the results this evening.

"backpack jack" I don't see that there is any easy way to adapt the original. It's not possible to remove the top ring without damaging it.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Got the stove today — wow: smaller and more "professionally built" than I expected (since other stoves I've purchased look like undisguised bits of soda cans). The fit and finish is excellent. Now Zelph, do you recommend a particular height above the stove to place the pot? Or should I default to the typical two inches?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools