Topic

Burning Temperature of Denatured Alcohol?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Burning Temperature of Denatured Alcohol?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Does anyone know the burning temperature of denatured alcohol? I was able to see the "autoignition temperature" for ethanol on wiki as 363 degreen C, but is that the right temperature for burning standard denatured alcohol? The reason I ask is that I am contemplating using JB Weld for a stove project, and want to be sure that it will not light up.

Thanks
    Evan

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

1) it depends upon how close the flame is to the weld joint. I believe that JB Weld is good up to the mid 400 F range. I thought that the hottest part of the flame was closer to 1400 F but don;t quote me on this. Near the start of the flame, it can't be that hot as aluminum softens (melts) below 900 F (I think).

2) the bigger issue to me is that I have seen JB welds degrade when exposed to alcohol over a prolonged period of time. This may be due to the fact that most aluminum cans are coated with a varnish and you really don't make a metal to metal bond.

My 2 cents – Jon

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Interesting. I saw the recommendation for JB weld on zenstoves. I am trying to make the basic side burner stove, and they suggested silicon or JB weld. Sounds like this is moving towards the MYOG forum, I will repost there. Thanks!
    Evan

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

Aluminum melts at 800F but the flame tip never contacts the metal.
    The JB weld is used ONLY at the base of those stoves where it doesn't get very hot.
    If you want something that will grip the aluminum and still take the heat-look into the red high temperature RTV silicone. Available at automotive supply stores.

Use it only at the bottom and don't expose it to alcohol until fully cured.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools