I ran into a thru hiker this weekend that had this alcohol stove..has a simmer control ring that is operated by twisting a long braided wire handle..Really cool design. Picture attached. Does anyone know what/where i can find one of these?
Thanks Guys
Topic
What Alcohol Stove is this?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Thanks Ken-Thats the one!
This is an extremely nice stove! Wow!
Cool find :) I'll probably be ordering one of these next week. I really dig it.
Can this be used with a Caldera cone ?
I want simmer !
I will try to send him an email.
Thanks for posting this.
FYI. You may be able to get a simmer ring from the makers of the Caldera Cone. I believe they are currently beta testing a simmer ring.
Yeah Baby! Wish i would have thought of it…soooo cool(the stove that is)
I got a reply back and it was very well explained as to why it will not work with the Caldera Cone system:
The main issues with that combo are:
1)No weight on the stove makes it a risky proposition to adjust it. Without the pot-stand it weighs less than an ounce and will likely move off-center of the pot when you adjust it or worse, it could possibly flip over!
2) The cones don't have enough air intake (or exhaust) area for the feather stoves. This may cause the fuel to evaporate too fast without enough air for proper combustion resulting in flames outside the cone.
Its a beautiful design but I guess best used with his own wind screen setup etc.
I will look into the Trail Designs simmer mod and see what is happening there.
There are 2 ways around this alleged 'incompatibility'
1) Make the cone just short enough so that the pan sits on the FF stove supports and not the cone rim.
2) Punch a few more holes in the cone for a little more air. It's not rocket science.
I have used various cones for over 4 years (and many stoves for longer). As well as owning a TiTri Sidewinder, I have made several cones using Captain Paranoias cone generator print script (now hosted at Zenstoves).
I have used cones with lots of stove designs. Apart from sideburners, performance and fuel economy is fine for many different stoves in a cone which has an appropriate amount of airholes in it, especially with the larger pan sizes.
The FF stove is a 'choked' chimney stove just like the TrailDesigns 12:10 with adjustable simmer ring is, ( and similar to (not same as) the Brasslite) so I see no real reason why the FF wouldn't work in a suitable cone.
I'm planning to get one for proper cooking with my largest cone setup (1.3l AGG Pot). If I can't make it work in a cone I'll eat my words! :)
"just like the TrailDesigns 12:10 with adjustable simmer ring "
Where?
There is no simmer ring shown on the TrailDesigns website.
I compared the 12-10 with the Mini Trangia in my CalderaCone using 24 oz water at 75 degrees and 1 oz denatured.
7 min to boil, 9 min total burn, with the 12-10.
7 min to boil, 10 min total burn with the trangia.
I did not try the simmer on the Trangia yet.
Would rather find something lighter for simmering even if I have to carry a separate simmer stove.
The simmer ring can easily be made from a piece of aluminum foil. Or, take a strip off a second can. The problem is, the holes are not as regular as on the Brasslite. So, you have to mark the stove and ring to make sure it goes on the same way. Simply mark the bottom of the strip for the location of the holes. Then, just nip off some "V" shaped notches opening each hole. Twisting the ring should cover the holes (mostly,) soo, they are fairly effective. But, between about 6:45 and 7:20 the change the burn time to 11:00-12:00 or not quite half. The reduction in heat is only about 1/3 and is actually too hot to do any real simmering with the Caldera Cone.
You would be better off following the design with a smaller center hole, and maybe 1/4-1/2" taller stove, compensating for the lower flame. A second stove at around 1/2oz is not that bad to carry and well worth it if you want to cook.
…about 11 posts down.
TD were allegedly going to be selling the choke style sometime soon. here is a link to a blog review last year:
http://backpackingtechnology.com/food-and-cooking/traildesigns-simmer-ring/
Thanks Greg and J Mole.
That 12-10 stove looked beat up in the simmer ring blog . Looks like it was overheated.
The cap looks pretty simple. I will also look at Starlyte and see if they have a separate simmer stove that works well.
The idea of baking rather than frying trout is tempting.
"You would be better off following the design with a smaller center hole"
Thanks James. A new simmer stove from Zelph is exactly that. Video link below.

Daniel, after reading what James Marco said about having a 1/2 ounce dedicated simmering stove a light went on and the simmering StarLyte was created. It weighs a half ounce and has the no-spill feature. I have a vested interest in all StarLyte stoves per Roger;)
I created a thread here at BPL that makes the new burner available:
I used to have a Featherfire stove, bought it used here on BPL. I did a lot of testing and playing around with it. The flame has a tendency to go out easily if the simmer ring is closed too much. It's hard to adjust when the stove is on the ground and your head is is in close proximity to see how the flame adjusting is going. As we know, it's difficult to see alcohol flames in daylight. I suspect TD has experienced some difficulties in flame out while place their new design onto the 12-10 stove. Also, I think if the stove was cold and the ring place on it, the stove would be difficult to light due to insufficient incoming oxygen.
Become a member to post in the forums.

