Topic

Smartwool Boxers…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smartwool Boxers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

oh yeah, the topic!

I too am unhappy with the durability my SW boxer-briefs have given me. To alleviate the problem, I have a trip this weekend in the Olympics and just ordered some Icebreaker boxer. brief. things.

I hope they work better.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Kevin,
    I see my introduction of jockstraps has introduced an element of sophomoric and lowbrow humor to the discussion of underwear. While I can't vouch for the comfort of Borat's choice of swimwear, I suspect it would be difficult to be comfortable on the trail wearing such accoutrements. It certainly would scare most bears in the Sierras and would probably be at least a topic of conversation around most campfires.

And why is it that discussions of jockstraps and underwear leads naturally to a discussion of Democrats and independents? I don't see the connection.

I still stand by the wearing of jockstraps when on the trail. They are so comfortable easy to wash and lightweight that I don't see why one would want to wear anything but a jock strap. But maybe that's just me.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

>> And why is it that discussions of jockstraps and underwear leads naturally to a discussion of Democrats and independents? I don't see the connection.

—-That's between we and our therapists. :-)>

Seriously, jockstraps? Why not? Post the weight.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

The ones I have are 1.25oz per. As I indicated in the original post the company offering them, Road Runner Sport, in San Diego and also on the web, no longer carries mine but a newer (better?) version. The weight of which I don't know, but it can't be much more. Try 'em — you'll never go back!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

>>Try 'em — you'll never go back!

Don't look back, either. :-D

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Grown men talking about what underwear they wear in the backcountry, there really is a place for everybody on the internet.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

You're assuming we're all grown men… :-)> It can easily go worse—-we can start posting more pictures…>-)>

But, perhaps it is best to let this thread simply…

die.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

icebreaker Skin200 boxer-briefs == awesome.

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I was a die hard Exofficio Boxer Brief man until I tried Icebreaker 200wt. Merino Wool Boxer Briefs.
    Wool wicks and breaths better than synthetics.
    It starts transporting moisture in a vapor state instead of having to wait till it gets liquid.
    The individual fibers of wool breath, not just the spaces between the fibers as is the case with synthetics.
    I could go on…but need to go buy a 5 gal. bucket for my Muir Trail Ranch resupply!

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

G: Where do you get yours online? I also found these recently:

http://www.ibexwear.com/S07/View_Product.php?GarmentID=800&thePhoto=../Photos/S07/663_5296.jpg&Category=1056&CategoryLine=

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

brmsstore.com
    Look under mens underwear.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Personally I had chafing from Icebreaker skin 200 briefs – they were too loose on the thighs, especially after a bit of use. Right now I'm back on my extreme-active-blah stretch polyester Jockey boxer briefs, which work fine except being polyester they start to smell.

So it's disappointing to hear the smartwool boxers wear out.. the hunt continues.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Perhaps the real question friends is not what our backcountry lingerie is, but perhaps the great question "does my butt look to big in this pair of rotten wool skivies?"

hmmmm
    I bet there are nude hikers have some lighter suggestions

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I haven't tried the Smartwool boxers, but the comments in the thread so far make me want to stay away. I have both the Icebreaker and Ibex Roaster boxers. Both fit closer to boxer-briefs than boxers. I haven't tried the actual Ibex boxers.

The Icebreakers are very comfortable. However, by the end of the day, the thighs have stretched a bit and they no longer fit like a second skin. I still find them comfortable and haven't had the chafing problems that Adrian has found.

The Ibex Roasters are heavier weight and feel more durable. Even after wearing them for a few days they still feel like a second skin. However, they are designed to be worn at the belly button. It feels weird to wear underwear higher than I wear pants. Also due to the heavier weight, they are warmer. I can wear Icebreakers in the summer, but Ibex are a bit too warm for that.

In the US, JustinCharles.com has some merino boxers, but I haven't tried them. Is anyone familiar with their products?

Pete Strifler

@pstrifler

Locale: OH, PA, VW, VA

I've had luck with REI MTS boxer briefs. Wicks well – feels like cotton. Around the office, they tend to ride up my legs during the day, but they're comfortable & relatively cheap compared to the main topic (smartwool, ibex, icebreaker). That said, I LOVE icebreaker t shirts & zip necks, which leads me to want to try their (expensive) underwear…

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the Beartooth Merino wool shorts yet? How do they stack up? Would you wear them sans outer-garment? Could they, in fact, be work both ways – as underwear and outer shorts???

They do look like a pair of biking shorts.

P

Joe Schroeder

@westy

This thread got a kick late 2008 thought I'd nudge it again before starting a new one.

Anyone aware of an offering for merino briefs other than Ice's beast? (not boxers!) My Ice beast's don't have the second skin fit after a days wear (unlike the shirts/tops that always feel great).

The breezer's seem discontinued… many thanks.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Joe, Ibex has a newly styled brief which I may give a try. I have their briefs from a few years back and use them late fall, winter and early spring. They are warm – too warm for me to wear in summer. They aren't fashionable in the sense that they come up high – like to your belly button, just as another poster noted. My wife makes fun of them all the time, and when she does I threaten to wear them with boots on any group trip we're on. The new briefs have a trimmer lower cut and they look exactly like regular briefs.

In summer I use Terramar Body Sensors synthetic briefs which I got on closeout from Campmor, which I found far better and cheaper than REI MTS. I'm going to give the new Ibex briefs a whirl this summer. They also now make a women's version.

And, having served with a bunch of guys doing long range marches and patrols in the military with serious heat and chafing and no showers for many days:

a) everyone was different – some swore by briefs and some by boxers or boxer briefs or compression tights

b) some people were much more susceptible to chafing and crotch rot than others because of skin chemistry (miraculously I'm nearly impervious to both while some suffered like mad)

c) universal acknowledgement that synthetic, no matter the material, ALWAYS smelled like hell after a short time, though not all synthetic is equal. What we found makes the difference in terms of odor is how smooth the knit of the synthetic was – tighter knit = less space for bacteria; loose mesh weave = great lab for bacteria and odors. Mesh and old polypro were the worst. You couldn't pay me to wear mesh synthetic or old version polypro underwear.

If you think this is a trivial issue, consider this – the fastest treatment we had for fungus on your sensitive areas front and back was "mild" acid fungicide. It would literally burn off the fungus very quickly. Those who had mild cases would apply it themselves and then wash it off. In one severe case, doc had patient bite onto a towel or stick while patient's buddies held him down when the acid was applied and allowed to work. You should have heard the screams. Over relatively quickly though.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools