Topic

Smartwool Boxers…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smartwool Boxers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Brian Strong

@bmstrong

…are worthless. I'm in to my fifth/sixth pair and a $30 a pop they can't handle the stress of day to day hiking, running and general work wear. I've shared my frustrations with their customer service but I'm tired of having to use the return policy. I'd like the wool boxers I buy to be able to stand up to EDC wear.

What are you guys using instead? Wool, is what I'm looking for, I'm not much into the synthetic stuff…

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Brian,

I really like my Icebreaker boxers. I used them on a bunch of winter trips.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Brian, I'm a briefs, not a boxer guy so my feedback may not be useful to you. I've been wearing Ibex Breezer briefs for years now and there is still no sign of wear in any of them. I wear them every day all year long. I'm guessing Ibex boxers would wear well also.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

They ain't wool but I swear by the Patagonia Silkweight boxers. I have some that are several years old. Besides they have cool designs like ice axes and dancing Hawaiian girls.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

To what advantage is wool when it comes to underwear? I understand the weight to warmth ratio for layers, but I have used many different types of synthetic underwear (REI, Patagonia, and Ex Officio) with fantastic results. What I want out of underwear is COMFORT and WICKING. I do not think (although I am not sure) that wool wicks nearly as good as some of the engineered fabrics. I have also never had any issue with odor and have worn them with only the occasional rinse in the river for a week at a time. You may want to reconsider why it is you need wool???

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

In the backcountry i wear LW running shorts w/ an inner-brief in lieu of "dedicated" undies

in the spirit of multiple use. You can swim in them—they dry quickly. Wool will not. When wool is wet it is vulnerable to damage as wet wool is very structurally weak.

I just throw on pants or a shell over the shorts when conditions require. Quite comfortable and like the above poster re. synthetic undies, just wash them when the opportunity presents itself. Application of Body Glide deals w/ chafing issues.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Like a few other who responded here, I don't use wool "short" underwear for hiking. I purchased 3 pair of microfiber jock straps from Road Runners Sport in San Diego about 5 years ago and have worn them ever since for hiking. I will never wear anything else again. They are light — about 1oz. They dry immediately when taken off and rinsed in a stream. They support me and my "package" better than any pair of underwear. And in the summer they are very cool to wear. In the winter I wear Schoeller tights so I stay warm and don't worry about my jock straps making me cold.

Here is the link to the new version if you are interested: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM460/

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Kevin's dedicated skivies idea has worked in past pant configurations quite well for me too. I tend to prefer pants on the trail anymore, and thusly use a pair of black patagonia active boxer briefs. They support very well. They breath and wick well. I like black because I can also use them as a swimsuit in areas where someone else might be in sightline…without feeling like I am showing more than they might want to see. The jockstrap would definitly not work in that scenario…and I generally cannot stand anything that is too tight in that area. Patagonia's "active" boxer brief is an example of way too much tension on the "boys" if you know what I mean.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

I share your frustration. I have a pair of SW boxer briefs. Short of using Body Glide (which I hate to use) they have been the best anti-chafing solution I have used to date. I have used mine for ~10 days on trail and they are already showing signs of wear. Too bad as they have been the ideal solution (for me).

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Why stop at jockstraps. Go for high fashion as well as an UL solution—-
    y'got ya support, y'got ya swimsuit. and it's only 23 g. in microfiber.swimsuit

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

>Why stop at jockstraps

As they say in the south…"The boy ain't right. You can see it in his eyes."

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Well, being as I'm a West Coast, Yankee, Jewish, Materialist, Humanist Cosmopolitan, I'm probably persona non grata in the regions that quote originated from. :-D

p.s. I'm a registered Democrat, too.

p.p.s. Oh, Sam, I thought you were talking about me. I see you changed the title.
    Well, Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat) in the picture is most of that, too. Except being a West End Brit. And Labor Party.

Sam .

@samurai

>I'm probably persona non grata in the regions that quote originated from. :-D

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. And yes, I was/am/probably will for at least as long as it takes for this smile to wear off.

See ya

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Uhmm… arnt all true southerners Democrates?

and true Yankees are registered Independents these days.

Gabriel August

@gaugust

Locale: Penn's Woods

I just got a lecture from a friend's (crazy) mother the other day on being a registered independent. She also tried to hit me when i asked for a takeout box (since it is styrofoam) but that is an altogether different story…

as for being on topic, i too have had issues with the smartwool boxers. after only a few uses they have developed holes in several places. i'm frustrated because i really like them a lot to prevent chafing. if i'm REALLY pushing miles i'll just use some of my cycling chamois cream. works really well.

i'll have to try some of the suggestions on this thread to replace my wearing smartwools.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Kevin,

It's a little known fact that Borat's "Sexy Drown Watch" co-star, Azamat Bagatov, is an ultralight backpacker. Here he is demonstrating his SUL style

Gabriel August

@gaugust

Locale: Penn's Woods

well darn. now i know why my shorts weight so much. i haven't trimmed them down yet…

Sam .

@samurai

See Kevin?
    I recognize that spot. That picture was taken in downtown Charlotte in front of the I-Max theater! Come visit us, we're REALLY looking forward to seeing you ;)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

… I just lost my dinner.

Brian—not Jewish Yankees. And those Southern Demos turned Reagan Republicans in days of yore.

Sam .

@samurai

>And those Southern Demos turned Reagan Republicans

I think I'll drop out of this thread while I still have some dignity left.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

and I heard there was a pocket of liberal Democrats found recently near Athens, Georgia.
    :-)>

and how far we've drifted from wool underwear…

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

>>and how far we've drifted from wool underwear…

I also had a pair of Smartwool boxer briefs. They were great but didn't wear well at all. In fact, they became crotchless within a year. I was going to post a photo but thought better of it. ;-)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good call. Thank you, Dondo. :)

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

Work is pulling me away from the forums more than I want right now but I'll check out some of your suggestions. Many thanks!

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

> And those Southern Demos turned Reagan Republicans in days of yore.

They're called Dixiecrats. I was raised that way, but that was a while ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools