Topic

HMG Porter in black.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG Porter in black.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Hey everyone,

From talking to Mike at HMG, the black fabric is 150 denier and the same material that makes up the regular Porter's bottom panel. Here is a picture of the black 3400 Porter I just got in the mail. Pretty stoked!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Wow. Slick pack.

Am I understanding you right that this is a burlier fabric now for the whole pack? What does it weigh then?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Hi Clayton,

Yes, the fabric is burlier. It is a 150 denier poly/cuben hybrid versus the white, which is 50 denier. Per Mike at HMG, this fabric only adds an ounce to the overall weight, but I don't have a scale to verify that (sacrilege!)

I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

So the nylon not the cuben is heavier? Seems like that is a good upgrade, I'm assuming that means greater abrasion resistance?

David Ure

@familyguy

Tougher? The white still has dyneema threads and after 3 years of heavy use I am still looking for holes. The standard stuff is bomber.

What I want to know is whether the color will bleed.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Dave, I suppose time will tell about the long term durability of the color. I have a trip planned over the next 4 days, so we'll see how it handles a bit of sweating and such.

David Ure

@familyguy

Great, thanks.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I've used a black Zpacks Zero all summer with zero bleeding onto my shirts. I did soak it in warm soapy water when I first got it to attempt to wash out some of the color. None then and still none now. I think this generation of hybrid cuben is more colorfast than last years.

Ryan

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Very nice Aaron.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

… but in strong sunlight, that pack will get very hot. May be o.k. in the Rockies, but untenable in the kinds of summers that we have here (Korea), at least.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

I haven't done extensive testing, but I was pleasantly surprised at how cool my black zimmerbuilt pack (Xpac) stayed while under relentless attack from the southern california desert sun. Any water inside got warm, but my food didn't melt away like I thought it might

edit: sexy pack, btw

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's a sleek looking pack! But as others have pointed out, that thing would probably get really got inside when out in the sun. Multi use: solar stove/food heating bag!

David Ure

@familyguy

I think hiking inside the pack might be an issue. But hiking with the pack on, it shouldn't be too hot.

Lol

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I don't know if you'll get noticably hotter in a black pack. But your food might get a bit hotter. But when melting food is a concern I don't bring things like hershey bars anyway.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Worst case scenario, I use it as a bivy, right? ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My black pack is no hotter than any other pack I've had. Bedouin tents anyone?

Now that is a sweet looking black.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

My Porter 4400 is holding up well with the original white fabric. Don't see a real issue with what I have.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not sure about packs, but i notice a HUGE difference when i'm outside in the Sun wearing white or very light colors vs dark colors. Since heat tends to radiate outwards and up, i suppose the inside of a black colored pack isn't going to necessarily get that much hotter than a lighter colored one… but then again there was that myth buster show about light colored cars vs dark ones and there was significant temp difference in the inside between the two.

Well, in any case, i don't like the color black, never have, and probably won't ever.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I see a Porter and I want to paint it black…

scree ride

@scree

Live in the southwest desert. I have a black daypack and have no heat issues. I didn't get the black HMG partially due to the extra price buy mostly because I thought white would blend in better with the surrounding environment.
    That is a beauty. Looks much less like a huge Jack in the Box hamburger bag than mine does.
    You could add some red and blue lights and use it to pull over speeding hikers.

David Ure

@familyguy

Scree, they call mine the potato sack. Most comfy potato sack ever.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Not sure white stays that much cooler. Quoting myself from a thread on thermometers:

"Also kinda scary seeing how hot it gets inside HMG Windrider white cuben fiber backpack on sunny days. 94 F max reading on a day the nearest weather station says 64 F."

— Rex

David Ure

@familyguy

WTF?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are all these Cuban packs fully opaque? If some are not, that would explain why the white or light colored ones get warmer on the inside, sort of a mild greenhouse effect. I would have a hard time imagining that say a tyvek home wrap pack (white on outside) that would get very hot inside.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools