Topic

3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

well- let's go w/ that, I'll update the first post :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

April 5 works fine for me,
    and for John V. also.
    at least at this point.
    never really know what I'm doing this far in advance.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Hey everyone! I just stumbled across this thread and got really excited. I've been running again for about 8 months now and loving every second of it (after years of not running really at all). I live a few hours from Grand Canyon and plan on doing some running (if I can ever stop backpacking long enough) up there this fall/winter.

I'm far from this distance but think I could do it and would love to give it a try. Plus I'd be down to meet some fellow BPLers finally as well. What type of commitment do you need from us? Just a "I'll be there" or anything else?

For now count me in! April 5!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Just an I'll be there will work :) as we get closer we'll start getting more details ie campground accommodations, specific route info etc

it's nice to have this 6 months out as it will give folks ample time to condition for the run

I might have mentioned this earlier, but if decide to run east -> west, there is an option to bail at the Grotto- which makes it roughly a 30-ish mile run/walk

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

What's the total mileage if run in the opposite direction where we would need to fully commit? Really excited about this!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

48 ish miles.
    10,000 ft of elevation gain.
    water not readily available on course, but there are a couple spots (need to research this more).

Mike – maybe add a few course specifics to your opening entry for those who may be interested.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Skurka has a pretty comprehensive post about the mileage, route, and logistics. Look at the links on this page page- the map set and data sheet about water sources/mileages are very helpful.

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/zion-national-park-traverse/

Starting at Lee's Pass is probably smartest because you could bail at the Grotto and walk/hitch/catch a bus a few miles down the road to camp in the valley or finish the full route much closer to where we'd be camping in the park. Going the other way and finishing at Lee's Pass after dark means you have to drive the I-15 all the way back…it's a good haul for the end of a long day, especially difficult people will likley be arriving at very different times. Finishing at the East Rim trailhead is only ~30 minutes of slow driving down into the valley. Shuttle services can pick you up at Eat Rim and drop you off at Lees.

Surf was big this morning so I'll definitely be ready :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I think Craig is spot on for all the reasons he mentioned

I know last year I contacted one of the tour companies and they were willing to pick us up early at the campground and take us to Lee's Pass (for $ of course) negating the need for driving and leaving a vehicle(s) there, so that might be an option again

per Art's suggestion, added a few links to the first post- if there are others worth adding just let me know

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"There is also that little loop that goes by Rae Lakes (in the Sierra). Although April is not the time for that one."

I did the loop in April '10 in heavy snow with snowshoes. Had to make it a two day event though.

Mike,
    I am very interested in this trip. As always it will depend on training and injuries but there's plenty of time to get off the couch. Look forward to seeing many of the usual suspects as well as new ones. As this firms up we will have to start a training thread. I love that for the R2R2R.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Greg- that sounds like a tough trip!!!! Would be great if you could make it. I agree, I really liked the training thread- great motivator and I learned a lot about training, resting, injuries, gear, etc!

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Staying motivated and on top of training through the winter months can be a challenge. I know for me, last winter was quiet and I went into the early spring with fairly inefficient aerobic endurance having cut my volume down during the weekdays due to laziness, cold mornings, and shorter daylight hours. Having a date and destination for an April BPL group run should help pass the winter months by quickly and productively this go around. With that said, count me in.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've already started my training. I'm up to 2 beers in one day now…..

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@Doug.

We're going to make an ultrarunner out of you after all.

Does anyone have thoughts on doing the run on Friday, saving Saturday and Sunday for recuperating and enjoying some R&R. A solid day of beer, bantering, and brainstorming up the next adventure would be nice on Saturday. It would give other BPL peeps the opportunity to meet up for the weekend, but not necessarily commit to doing the Traverse, or perhaps tackle the traverse over a 2-day period. Just an idea, feel free to shoot it down.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I figure I can get three days off (in addition to the weekend) so I could probably travel on Wed, but I'd have to bug out very early Sunday morning to make it back for Monday (looks like roughly a 12-ish hour drive)-either way I plan on two full days of hanging out (and hopefully just one day of running :) )

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

me personally, I would rather have the free days before the run than after, not sore or wasted, able to check out parts of the course if desired, get to know those we haven't met before the run, etc.
    I'm pretty flexible, but John V. has this paranoia about taking too many days off.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Before, after, either way we will get in some downtime.

I will try to get out there on Thursday.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I plan on being there Thursday as well, might be a little late, but there nonetheless :) I'll have all Friday (probably most of Sunday too) to hang, Angel's Landing sounds like a must do

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

We will be there, not sure if we are driving or flying. That isn't the most spectacular drive from western WA.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

in my searching it sure appears there are nice cheap tickets going into Las Vegas, seems like cheaper than anywhere else regardless of how far- I'm sure in the hopes you'll leave a lot more $ behind than what you came with :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

not only the plane tickets, the hotels are cheap, the meals are cheap (sometimes free), a wonderful place to try your luck at life's favorite pasttimes :-)

We will be driving, its only 8-9 hours for us, but too soon to think about right now, there's training to do …

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I did a quick search yesterday and found airfare for about $160 one way out of ol' El Paso into Vegas. Much cheaper than me driving my big old Toyota at a measly 13mpg. Not sure if these will go up or down in price.

I'm heading up to Grants, NM on Friday for the Mt Taylor 50K. The course is awesome, with 8 miles on the CDT ad a summit up Mt Taylor (11,300') in the last few miles. I haven't raced in a while and never seem to do as well as my fitness would indicate going into races. I'm hoping everything clicks (*no debilitating cramps) and I have a good run. Abstaining from beer the past few weeks has been tough, so Ill have a few IPAs waiting at the end.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Good luck Eugene, hope it all comes together out there.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Eugene – just think of it as a training run for the first 20, and a sprint for the last 10. You'll do great.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Sounds awesome, good luck. I have no racing experience, so I don't have any advice, other than to enjoy being in such a cool place. Looking forward to the report!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene, may the running gods shine on you Saturday- looks like a very challenging (but beautiful) course- best of luck!

Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools