Topic

FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Should I put this in the SUL section???? After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips.

Anyway, my wife is NOT helping my OCD of finding 'light' gear at all by finding these little beauties for me :):

deoderant spray

It weighs 11.1g (0.39 ounce). probably not good for a very long time but a little squirt after a wash is all I am guessing you'll need.

Weight wise it is on par at exactly the same weight with my chapstick deodorant (I got the idea off another BPL-er):

deoderant

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The lightest would be none.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

+1 that stuff probably smells worse than nothing.

LT -19 days 3 showers.. never cared. no one on the trail cares either.

and i'd laugh my ass off if someone mixed up their deodorant chapstick and real stuff haha

Anonymous
    Inactive

"that stuff probably smells worse than nothing."

Not to a bear. I can visualize it now: Cheep Thrill # 1042, a bear nuzzling your pits in the middle of the night. Oooohhhhh……

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

I'm thinking no bear is interested in pit or foot funk.
    No deodorant for me…I'll clean up after the hike.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips."

Like all the posts so far? I don't take either. But I don't use it at all anyway.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

All depends if you sleep solo or not…… ;)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I've noticed that Bpl tends to throw rocks at the mention of deodorant. I carry it, and would like to know your source. Feel free to ignore the stinkers.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Remember this:

Some called him a vagabond
    Some called him a vagrant
    But they all knew when he was around
    Because he was so fragrant.

–B.G.–

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I just shave chips from a normal white stick deodorant into a minibalm jar and microwave it to melt them down. Smear it into place with a fingertip. Easier than stocking a special backpacking aerosol.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have to agree with Sheila. When I hike alone, I have no qualms about offending the squirrels, but when I hike with my wife, I prefer to be approachable.

This micro aerosol deodorant is a good find if you like the deodorant that's in it. I find that aerosol deodorants often have overwhelming scents. Some of them could be used in a pinch as a substitute for tear gas. One of the nice things about filling a chapstick tube is that it weighs the same but you have lots of options. You can pick your favorite deodorant. I chose an unscented and *mostly* natural deodorant to put in mine.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips."

Yeah, they actually shave their pits to cut down on total weight.

Nice find in that it is off-the-shelf. I'll stick with my refill chapstick tube (also 11 grams as you note), but good to know.

Multi-purpose ideas: what is the propellent? Try lighting it with a mini-Bic. It would make an impromptu bear startler akin to a flare if you set off a few 2-foot flames in front of a curious bruin. Signaling for a rescue at night. Fire starting.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I agree, the lightest deodorant is none.

That said, if you want the lightest weight antiperspirant or deodorant, that carries well and gives at least a few days of protection, then I suggest you use one of the crystal deodorants. I just break off a small chunk and put it in a mini ziplock and carry it in my toiletry kit.

For those unfamiliar with using a crystal, you wet it lightly with water to apply it. Each application can last up to 3 days, unless you bathe or shower in between.

You can find them in most health/natural stores or the toiletry sections of drug stores, or Walmart type places. They come in both regular or travel size.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I find it works better to clean yourself up instead of trying to mask the smell. Wash your body with a wet rag each night and wash your pits out with soap. Your clothes will start smelling less that you do and if you keep your body clean, your clothes stay cleaner.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

"I've noticed that Bpl tends to throw rocks at the mention of deodorant. I carry it, and would like to know your source. Feel free to ignore the stinkers."

Sorry for late reply;

Don't know if this will help you but the local reject/$2 dollar shop's 'travel' section.

:)

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

"I just shave chips from a normal white stick deodorant into a minibalm jar and microwave it to melt them down. Smear it into place with a fingertip. Easier than stocking a special backpacking aerosol."

…..er, that's in my original post, it's my second picture.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools