Topic

Reflectix- makes a cozy. What else?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Reflectix- makes a cozy. What else?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

So I made cozies for my mugs and one for freezer bag cooking. Still have 21' left over.
    What else can I make with this stuff?
    It must be multi purpose, Right?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some people sleep on it. Wrap your water heater. Halloween is coming.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

put in window of your car to keep sun out and a little less hot

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cheap, light electronics or point and shoot camera case.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Have a gander at this thread.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I dont really think its good for anything.

Its really heavy stuff actually.

I just put my freezer bag in my fleece hat, jacket, or sleeping bag, or something while it soaks.

If worried about it leaking, just double-bag it. An extra ziplock weighs less than a cozy,

One less item to carry.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

MB I also noticed that it is heavy especially for a ziplock bag cozy. I have an insulated mail envelope that weighs much less. But it was fun to mess with.
    I do think I will keep the cozy I made for my SP600 mug, keeps my tea or cocoa warm longer. I'll pay a little penalty for that.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm making insulating sleeves for my water bottles for winter camping. I've replaced my reflectix pot cozy with a Gossamer Gear Warm Sak. Little bit lighter and works better for storage.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Ian, thanks for pointing the Warm Sak out. My Current pot cozy and stove storage bag weighs approximately the same as the Warm Sak, but it's better to have less stuff to keep track of – a good MYOG project.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Ian, thanks for pointing the Warm Sak out. My Current pot cozy and stove storage bag weighs approximately the same as the Warm Sak, but it's better to have less stuff to keep track of – a good MYOG project."

I like that it's dual purpose. This would be a great MYOG project but alas, I was born without the Martha Stewart gene and this was only $14.95 plus shipping.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Mo Martha Stewart here either, but i just live a tad too far away for ordering for 14.95 bucks… ;-)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Keeps your head warm and keeps the government from scanning your brain.

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

Locale: The center of it all

Made a protective case for my Kindle. Gotta read after dark!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Anyone use it for a collapsible cooler? My boyfriend and I will be taking some trips on his new Ural motorcycle + sidecar, and I'd like to have a small cooler, but he's worried about space. Commercial soft coolers that I have found so far don't have quite the right dimensions. I have a roll of Reflectix that I have NO idea what to do with, but it should insulate cold as well as warm, shouldn't it?

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Don't see why you couldn't make some kind of cooler out of Reflectix. It's insulating, whether hot or cold. My other half uses (one of) his sleeping pads to haul in a big, sawn-off hunk of frozen artery-clogging caveman meat, and keep it cold for a day or so. He puts it inside the rolled-up pad, in the center, between frozen Gatorades. (He doesn't understand u.l.) I have to admit, it works pretty well.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i have one of these and love it for the summer. awesome minimal design…
    escape pod cooler made with reflectix

http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/escape_pod_cooler.html

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Plus one. I love the simple outdoor solutions escape pod. Great piece of gear. The critter sack they offer is perfect for many of my coastal hikes as well. But I digress. Take a look at the SOS cooler, Dianne. Should not be too tough. I have to say though, what ever they did is way more stable and solid than anything I have ever made out of reflectix. I have some embarrassing art project pot cozies a mom could not love.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

As Sigmund Freud once said on an UL expedition in the Vienna Woods "Sometimes a topf cozee ist nur a topf cozee!"

He never was able to make the jump to SUL.

Scott Tanner

@scott-tanner

When I started experimenting with hammocks, I made a 3/4 length heat reflective sleeping pad with it. Took a measurement from the tops of my shoulder to the tops of my knees (bottom of my ham strings) and marked the distance on the roll. Then used a 20" width (pretty standard width) so it would fit in the external back pad holder on my Gossamer Gear G4. Works great. Because it's very "pliable" it conforms to the hammock and wraps up around my sides a bit as well. Very successful DIY project.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I'll second the cooler idea.

Last year a few of us went to Cedar Point Amusement Park for the day. I'll shell out the money for UL Gear, but refuse to spend $70 on overpriced food and drinks per person.

So, I made a cooler out of left over Reflectix to keep food and drinks in the car.

It worked well enough. I kept the cooler in the trunk. It was sunny and the temp got up to over 85 that day.

By 7 P.M. when I made dinner, most of the frozen items had thawed about 90% but were colder than a refrigerator would keep them.

If you want it to last, I'd suggest covering it with material though. Alone, I've found it not as durable as I'd like.

As far as the dual purpose cozy goes, I made one from breathable material and Insul-brite that works great as a cozy and as a stuff sack for my cookset, and is lighter than one made from Reflectix.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=83922&skip_to_post=760730#760730

One other good use I found for Reflectix is making a heat resistant outer case for my sunglasses. I have a pair in my car year round, and the intense heat in summer and cold in winter always caused stress cracks in the lenses. Expansion and contraction I assume.

I made an outer case from Reflectix to keep them in when in the car, and haven't had any cracks appear yet, and it's been about 2 years.

Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

My 5 year old uses it as a sleeping pad.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools