Topic

“nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name”

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close.

Quite frankly, I don't care what religeous comments were made at the peak of the chaos. The leadership displayed was good. That the four survived was all that matters.

Cheers
Roger

Michael L BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Who cares?

First it's a private site so the owner can leave it or remove it as he likes.

Second, there are plenty of religious people around. Do you really want to start discriminating?

Third, it's a canyoneering / flash flood video. The people in its personal views are there own. It doesn't diminish the video.

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video."

Really? Surprised but maybe shouldn't be. What is the nature of the complaints?

If someone has a problem with the content of the video why don't they post up here for all to see?

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:18 pm

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close."

Amen, brother! And I'm not religious.

Having lived in the desert for over 35 years I have seen a lot of flash floods, too include two 100 year floods (1977 and 1979). Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood.

These usually happen in the U.S. Southwest in August and September when storms move their way up from the Gulf of Mexico.

John S. BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I was one who flagged it because it seems like it belongs in chaff. Complain away ; ).

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm

"Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood."

Seems like a pretty good track record Nick. Would you care to share your system for not dying in floods. Its a new topic for me since I've done most of my hiking in the mountains. Obviously I'll check the weather first.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

"it seems like it belongs in chaff"

disagree. It's on topic for this forum

General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion

General discussion of lightweight hiking/backpacking and other backcountry activities.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Flash floods can occur even when it isn't raining in your location. So you need to be aware of the terrain when hiking in desert country. Normally in deserts when it rains, even in the "rainy" season of Jan and February, the rain is light even if it rains for a couple of days. In summer the rain can dump several inches in a very short period, and often the weather forecast is for a chance of afternoon thunder showers, without flash flood warnings.

The one I mentioned was when I was in a canyon descending from the peak of Pinto Mountain in Joshua Tree. I had put together a loop and the final leg was to descend a series of canyons — not technical stuff. Then it started raining, so I moved out of the canyon (being it was September) to a small ridge and watched the canyon fill with water, even though the rain wasn't a downpour. I ended up working my down a much longer route, not technically hard. Then I found a high spot on top of a sand dune to spend the night. Next morning was blue skies and an easy hike back to my car.

When you get into large canyon systems, retreat may not be easy.

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Thanks Nick, I may have more desert hiking in my future so I'll remember that.

Chris . BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Some people will get butthurt complain over anything. Why the need to complain over the prayer? There are no athiests in a foxhole. That's hairy, glad they made it and cool video.

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Gosh Dodge, sure glad we have you around to explain the intent behind other people's posts. Sure glad so you're so omniscient, don't know how we ever got on without you in the past.

Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Amazing video Eric; thanks for sharing. Glad everyone made it out of there alive.

Michael L BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Gosh Doug. Thanks for screwing up this thread even more.

M G BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

+1

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I was getting a kick out of all the D&D-inspired comments on the youtube thread:

"Who's the warlock in the group? I can hear spells being cast."
— "I think in this situation they should have summoned a creature with flying ability.."
— "To be fair they did summon a creature that walks on water."
"At least there was a Cleric in the raid."

But since someone mentioned foxholes:
"oh god nothing worse than a theist in a foxhole. everybody trying to think clearly of how to survive and one guy yelling "DEAR JESUS PUT A FORCEFIELD AROUND US I SUMMON YOU""

(everything in quotes property of their original poster)

Long live chaff!

Peter S BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 2:32 am

Let's keep religion out of BPL

or at least move it to chaff ;-)

Chris . BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 5:07 am

Always good to be reminded that atheists are the worst sort of religious fanatics out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Loading...