Topic

Suggestions for mp3 player?Not Apple

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
dave e BPL Member
PostedSep 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm

My current player is a Creative Muvo but has only 1gb and i need more space.The thing is tiny ,uses 1 AAA battery,has a radio,a recorder,an eq.Its also lasted me 9yrs so far.Its really unreal.Creative made a 2gb version but now has discontinued both.
Anyway i need more GB but would like to keep the size small and 1 AAA battery.I am not interested in any Apple products and dont want to discuss the pros and cons-weve all been there,done that.
Any suggestions?

John S. BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 4:30 am

Need a list of manufacturers that still make AAA players. Check frys.com and other sites for a selection.

1, Coby
2. RCA
3. Craig Electronics
4. Hamilton Electronics
5. NAXA
6. SLY Electronics
7. iRiver T60

PostedSep 7, 2013 at 7:30 am

An older fellow who worked in my campus library came into the police station I used to work at. He said he had a lost and found item. "Someone left an iPod and iPad."

He put a basic samsung flip-phone and a Sansa MP3 player in my hands.

Apple's terms have officially become generic.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 7:39 am

Sansa Clip is $30.57 from amazon.com

I got one, worked pretty good for a week then died. Amazon is replacing it – I think it's a 30 day window. I'm assuming this is just a fluke.

Sansa clip is 0.85 ounce
earphones are maybe 1/2 ounce
recharging USB cable is maybe 1/2 ounce

I got a "lipstick charger". about 2.5 ounces. 2200 mAH. $5.70. charged Sansa 3 times, maybe 12 hours per charge, so a charged Sansa plus 3 more charges is a total of 48 hours. Good enough for most any trip.

I listend to Robinson Crusoe on my last trip. Einstein's Special and General Relativity wasn't so good to listen to, better to see pictures at same time. http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks has 525 books that can be downloaded for free.

I wonder why they don't include AM radio? It has a FM radio. Maybe AM requires big components like capaciters and coils that don't fit.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

My generation doesn't understand these things. We try. But here is my journey.

Years ago my wife wanted a MP3 player to use at the gym. After a while she quit using it.

Not being totally anti-technology, I decided to taste the waters of all things MP3 and bought an iPod. After jousting and combatting an absolutely insane and anti-user friendly piece of crap software package called iTunes, I somehow managed to get music on this thing (wake up Apple, let us drag and drop files to this device).

I bought a car mount for the device, removed the radio/navigation unit in the SUV, installed an integrated iPod interface, re-installed the components, and reprogrammed the works. All of this was easier and took less them than it did to move a few songs to the iPod.

A couple weeks later we were about to depart on a road trip with our camper. My wife got into the SUV and the following conversation is retold for your enjoyment.

WIFE: "What's that?"

ME: "An iPod."

WIFE: "What's an iPod?"

ME: "A MP3 player, similar to the one you don't use."

WIFE: "Whose iPod is it?"

ME: "Huh? I don't understand the question"

WIFE: "Is it yours, is it mine, or is it ours?"

ME: "If you want an iPod, I'll buy one."

WIFE: "I think it should be ours. I like it when we share."

ME: "It is no one's. It belongs to the truck."

And it has stayed in the truck where it belongs. It has never been on a trail. It does not belong on a trail.

M B BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

I use a sansa clip at the gym for several years. Very light. I dont use the clip, I put it in my shorts pocket, and run the earphone wires under my shirt. Mainly, so I dont have to listen to conversations of people that like to socialize instead of working out.

Good basic MP3 player.Shuffle could be better, it tends to replay same songs a lot.
Sounds good with some better earphones than come with it.

I use JLbuds $10, pretty decent sound for the money. Sweat will attack and crack the wire coverings causing them to break every 1-2 yrs or so, not worth spending any more on earplugs when that happens. These sound better than some I have had that were $50 sony.

It doesnt run on AAA, it has internal Li batt that recharges from USB. But I get about 12-15 hrs or so of time I estimate off a charge. Charge capacity has been good for me for several yrs, doesnt seem to diminish much .

I have taken it on trail to listen for weather forecasts on FM before. Sometimes can pick up a station , sometimes not though.

dave e BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

i think im gonna get the 2gb muvo.Id prefer more space but the muvo is quality sound and durable and has eq,radio,no internal battery and super small.The muvo is discontinued so i have to buy used on ebay….

PostedSep 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

How much run time do you need? I had a creative zen x-fi that had very good battery life on the internal rechargeable. Over 10 hours with the screen on, and much too long to keep track of with the screen locked. Very good sound quality with the sound enhancer gimmicks turned off.

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I can't say enough great things about the Sansa Clip. I easily get 16-20 hours out of it.

PostedSep 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

@ Nick
"WIFE: "I think it should be ours. I like it when we share."

ME: "It is no one's. It belongs to the truck."

Now that's funny! I love it!

I too can recommend the Sansa Clip. I too use it to drowned out noise at the gym, listen to books driving to work…and occasionally take it on a bp trip if I'm going solo and it's winter and getting dark at 5:30 :-)

dave e BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm

saw the sansa at best buy and couldnt believe its tiny ass size!its only 40$ too.i may have to rethink the battery thing.does it have a real eq?

PostedSep 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

–does it have a real eq?–

I'm not sure about the original firmware but I installed Rockbox on my Clip Zip out of the box and it gives you a lot of options for customization, an equalizer being one of them.

Adam

PostedSep 10, 2013 at 7:12 am

Jerry,
Which lipstick charger did you get and how well does it work for mp3 player?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedSep 10, 2013 at 7:39 am

http://www.amazon.com/Elivebuy-2200mah-Lipstick-External-Battery/dp/B00DTDIANO/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1378823637&sr=8-22&keywords=lipstick+2200

2200 mAH 2.6 oz 3.3 oz with the Sansa recharging cable $5

Except I got the pink one (because it was cheaper when I ordered it, now the black one is cheaper)

I've only used mine for one cycle, to see if it works, charged Sansa 3 times

If you want more than that you could get one with more mAH

I took several weeks to get it, shipped from China

No instructions, no manufacturer website, but for $5 what the hell…

Plug it into USB port, LED turns red when charging, blue when done

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Loading...