Topic

IMUSA small alum cup/mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) IMUSA small alum cup/mug

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Hey, I gave away my IMUSA 2$ cup/mug, and went back to Wally World to buy another and couldn't find it there! Does anyone know if these are still around or available, and if so where? They are just awesome little cheap cooking sets for a single hiker.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Go to Campmor. They have a lot of items like that.

But I can't figure why you would want and aluminum cup or ANY metal cup.

get a graduated plastic cup for measuring and drinking.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"But I can't figure why you would want and aluminum cup or ANY metal cup."

Small scale cooking.

–B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Bob,

That would be VERY small scale cooking in a cup. Why not carry a 3 cup pot and lid and use less fues B/C of the wider pot bottom?

Then your cup is available for measuring and – amazingly – drinking!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The IMUSA cup has a handle and a lid, and the cost is cheap.

–B.G.–

Mike Megee
    BPL Member

@fx4hauler

The only Walmart around here that has them is in the Hispanic part of town.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm sure you can shop there Mike, I mean Miguel, wink.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Around here, all of the Walmart stores are in Hispanic parts of town. There are no parts of town that aren't Hispanic.

–B.G.–

Steve S

@idahosteve

I use this cup/bowl/pot as my main solo cook set. Its plenty big enough, cheap, and with a cozy it is quite a performer. I don't need anything else. It also sets on my stove solidly, as it does have a wide base. I guess its really more of a measuring cup than a true cup. I don't bring a "cup" per se.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

The Imusa pots make great cook kits.Smokeeater908 and Minibull both sell the pots and lids for them.

Steve S

@idahosteve

awesome, those are the ones!

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

You might check out this site;

http://www.batchstovez.com/

I don't know if you prefer a handle or not. I came across this after I cut, modified, and purchased a separate lid ($10) for my 12cm IMUSA. If I had to do it over I would have gone this route instead.

Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

I recently discovered this mug, and I'm considering it as a replacement for my Grease Pot. I love the Grease pot but it is a bit bulky, and despite the size I can't fit all the parts of my kitchen in there. (pepsi stove, hardware cloth pot stand, foil windscreen, and pot grippers) The pot grippers are the main culprit so I would like to go with something that has a handle! I'm not willing to grab hot pots with a bandanna.

The mug seems like a good option, maybe with a supercat stove to eliminate the pot stand? And is the 10cm size large enough to make dinner in? The grease pot is much larger than I need for my dinners.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Maybe consider a wire bail handle?

CookPot

I really enjoy the wire handle because it alows my pot to fit nicely in a cozy and stuff sack.

Pot2

Brittany W

@quasarr

Cool! I hadn't noticed the wire handle option. But it looks like this option is only available on the 12cm size. I think that still might be a bit larger than I need. But I'm not sure if the 10cm will be too small! Decisions decisions. :)

PS I am willing to consider the fiberglass cord wrap. Does that really make the pot grab-able with your bare hands? Probably not, if the stove is still running!

PPS What is the point of a carbon felt windscreen? I only found out about these recently.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

'Cool! I hadn't noticed the wire handle option. But it looks like this option is only available on the 12cm size. I think that still might be a bit larger than I need. But I'm not sure if the 10cm will be too small! Decisions decisions. :)'

The pic I provided is my own mod but yes Batchstovez does offer it as an option. Could contact them about adding it to a 10cm. I prefer the larger 12cm for cooking in the pot and extra H2O for hot drinks.

'PS I am willing to consider the fiberglass cord wrap. Does that really make the pot grab-able with your bare hands? Probably not, if the stove is still running!'

I believe that is what the wrap is for.

'PPS What is the point of a carbon felt windscreen? I only found out about these recently.'

I'm not sure as I have not considered carbon felt as a windscreen. Batchstovez is not my company nor do I own any of their products. The link was what I found after I built my own kit from an IMUSA 12cm cook pot. The product looks good and in a limited search I have not found any bad reviews.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

There are some sweet 2oz woodstoves that pack easily inside the IMUSA 10cm pot with windscreen, etc

Brittany W

@quasarr

Also for those having trouble finding the mug, Walmart's website allows you to search which stores have it in stock. You can input your zip code.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Aluminum-Mug/15040697

Lol, the only review is from a backpacker. Was it one of you folks? ;)

Steve S

@idahosteve

I've found that the 10cm size, which I think I figured out was roughly about 2 1/2 cups, was fine for the dinners and other meals I needed to cook in it. Obviously it was just for me, but I was able to put some good volume meals into it. I use it with both my cartridge stove, and my alky stove, and it really is a solid and way cheap set up. Weight wise it stacks up against the TI options for a fraction of the cost. The cozy that I built for it is critical, and I've had food still too hot to eat after 10 minutes of cozy time. I left the handle on mine, and built the cozy to fit around it. I just use a bandana as a pot holder, and I cut and flattened a small piece of aluminum to work as a lid. I might have to invest in one of the Minibull lids, they look well made.

I finally had success at another Wally world location, so I bought three of the cups to make sure I had some for the future!

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Great! Happy to hear you have found a system that works for you. That's what it is all about.

Alex C
    BPL Member

@alex-cat-2

I know this is an old thread, but many posts I see on BPL are marked as inappropriate for reasons I can’t decipher, but Mike Megee’s comment about not going to Walmart because it is in the “Hispanic part of town” was blown off and made into a joke? I’m not sure I understand why this sort of comment is tolerated

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

I see no such comment.

The only Walmart around here that has them is in the Hispanic part of town.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Alex, this thread is 4 years old and the ability to flag someone’s post as inappropriate is a recent change to the site.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Ugh. I got all excited when I saw Bob Gross’ comment on here, then saw it was 5 years old.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

It’s never too late to be offended!

What? -B.G.- is BACK??

(pffft, aw shucks) There will be no return to former glory forthcoming.

While we’re at it, I have a very lightly used (testing at home only) 10cm IMUSA with Zelph lid and Esbit tri-wing stove I will sell for $30 shipped CONUS. PM if interested.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools