Topic

(LF Hikers) Little South Fork Lake – Trinity Alps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips (LF Hikers) Little South Fork Lake – Trinity Alps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm looking for anyone else interested in a Trinity Alps trip. I want to do the Little South Fork Lake hike. It's a cross country route with some bushwacking, creekwalking, and scrambling around waterfalls up to a high alpine lake. Should a be a fun cross country adventure. I've never been to this area and don't know what to expect.
    It's a long drive. I have the time, but I would really like to carpool and split the gas costs. I can drive to the Bay area to meet up.
    I was thinking about mid September- still figuring it out. I can do Friday-Monday.
    Anyone interested?

Here is a link to a trip report and some pictures:
    http://ellenvanderslice.com/adventures/trinity_alps/
    https://www.inkling.com/read/moon-california-hiking-brown-stienestra-9th/chapter-2/21–little-south-fork-lake-trail

Google maps link:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Santa+Rosa,+CA&daddr=Caribou+Creek+Rd%2FForest+Route+37N24&hl=en&ll=40.745176,-121.896057&spn=1.352554,2.90863&sll=41.100892,-123.071337&sspn=0.042041,0.090895&geocode=FROOSgIdwYav-CnXR-Y2yTuEgDFJSE_Fa2XNXA%3BFXlbcwId6c2p-A&oq=santa+&mra=ls&t=m&z=9
    a

If anyone has done this hike and has some advice, I would really appreciate that.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am interested . Also going in October…but this sounds like a nice trip .

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Cool – I can do any weekend but the 27th-29th. My main hiking partner might be able to come as well.
    Part of this is off trail (2.5 miles) but it's following one creek/drainage so navigation shouldn't be difficult. Hopefully the underbrush won't put up a heavy defense.
    I really want to see that waterfall, it looks huge.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Remember that the last 15 miles on your drive there will take 1 hour. It's paved the first third or so. That trailhead is less than 180 miles from my house. It takes me 4 hours to get there. If you want waterfalls go to Canyon Creek. Water is pretty low this year. All pavement approach. It's all beautiful. Did that area burned in '09? Seems like it would be in the burn area visible from the Caribou Lakes Trail.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I'm looking at 93 on google earth and its all paved. Caribou road looks unpaved but its only 6.4 miles. Are you sure you're talking about the south fork trailhead?

It is a really long drive, but the hike up there sounds like a lot of fun. If I can get a group going that wants to go to the alps and there are suggestions for more convenient trailheads, that would be great as well. I just want to get back up there before winter.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The unpaved road is 12 miles, plus 4 paved. Takes a while.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes I was thinking Coffee Creek Rd. That trailhead is even further away. It might be paved but 93 is windy and really narrow in spots. It will still be slow going once off the 3.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

bump.
    Open to other suggestions that might be more convenient.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Marc Elridge would be a good resource for this. I think he has done some back country there….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Justin. Have you been to either Canyon Creek or the Stuart Fork hikes? Stuart Fork has some schwacking routes to some lakes. Of course beautiful Emerald and Sapphire lakes with a cross country climb to Mirror Lake above at the end of the canyon. You can climb the Sawtooth ridge and access the Caribou Basin that way as well. Very steep trail from Portuguese Camp area up and over.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Thanks Ken. I've only been to the trinity alps once, when you had the meetup last fall. Those locations are much closer. I'm starting to dislike the idea of a 7 hour drive and a 5 hour drive sounds more reasonable. I don't care where I go as long as it has good hiking opportunities, it's all new to me. You've given me a lot to think about and plan.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Justin, if this happens in Oct I would love to join. Sep is out for me. My truck is fixed and I can drive.

Are you still in SR? We're moving to San Rafael at the end of the month.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yeah I'm still in Santa Rosa. San Rafael is a great area.

After looking at the elevation of these areas (fairly low), October seems better to avoid the heat. I remember how warm it was at the end of September.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

There are many great trailheads and destinations in the Trinities, do you want lakeside, forest, stream side, granite, it goes on and on.

There are a few great underused trailheads that will not add much to your drive up from Santa Rosa.

I highly recommend Hobo Gulch if you want a good assortment of terrain and history.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools