Topic

Ssl certificate not valid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Ssl certificate not valid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

Am getting a warning when I log in that the certificate isn't valid. anyone else experiencing this?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Yes.

Grant a permanent exception.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

YEP…Microsoft alerted me also last night.
    IGNORED and signed in.

BPL ISSUE?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This site has been sold to the Chinese behind closed doors.

Just kidding.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah! Someone's going to break into my hard drive and eat all my cookies!

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Firefox says the certificate expired on 8/28/13 4:59 PM. Not ideal, but it's not as if the certificate magically goes bad once the clock runs out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope for your sake it's not Cookie Monster, because if it is, nothing, not even God, can save you now.

YouTube video

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No warning whatsoever from my Chrome browser. I am suddenly feeling naked, exposed, vulnerable…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm, i got a warning from my chrome browser. Hey, let your naked, sexy self shine unabashed.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

BPL's SSL certificate has expired, and your browser might be warning you about this problem.

Short version: Tell your browser to trust BPL's expired SSL certificate, but don't do that routinely, especially for more important web sites, like your bank.

Longer version:

What does this mean? What should you do about this? What should BPL do about this?

SSL encrypts information between your browser and a web site to prevent snooping by most Bad Guys. SSL typically protects your username and password as you login, and other critical information like credit card purchases, bank account information, and email. This is A Good Thing.

For SSL to work properly, the web site (BPL) needs to buy an SSL certificate from a widely recognized authority. SSL certificates have an expiration date. BPL's has expired. Likely, someone forgot to renew.

An expired SSL certificate still encrypts your username and password, it's just less "trustworthy" in some theoretical sense. I've used expired SSL certificates on many internal systems for many years.

You can tell your web browser to trust the expired BPL SSL certificate, and move on to worry about more important things, like how many cups of water you can boil on one Esbit tablet under perfect lab conditions :-)

HOWEVER – you should NOT routinely ignore SSL warnings from your web browser, and blindly trust whatever comes along. Bad Guys might be impersonating something important, like your bank or email provider.

BPL should renew their SSL certificate, so we, the paying customers, don't have to deal with this nonsense. SSL certs are as cheap as $10 per year.

For the uber-security geeks out there: Yes, I dramatically simplified a complex situation, and you might disagree with my recommendations. Consider using this as a teaching moment for non-security geeks, rather than flaming me with trivia.

— Rex

Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

I started getting that notice about a week ago

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Has anyone from BPL recognized this and begun to renew? I think its kind of important to have the SSL certificate current, no?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Look at the bottom of the page. The copyright is expired also.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Copyright and Ssl certificates both expired? Ryan obviously isn't paying much attention to the website right now. What are the odds that he will remember to renew the BPL.com domain name before it expires?

I suggest that this is probably an excellent time to copy and save any of the articles/reviews/etc. that you really want to keep before BPL suddenly disappears.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Victory favors the prepared.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"What are the odds that he will remember to renew the BPL.com domain name before it expires?"

I know some would jump on that so quick.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Current registration expires over five years from now:

Domain Name: BACKPACKINGLIGHT.COM
    Updated Date: 03-jul-2012
    Creation Date: 16-nov-2000
    Expiration Date: 16-nov-2018

And judging from the BPL Contact link on every page, everyone at BPL is out having fun:

"We are currently upgrading our support system and online support will not be available until early September."

"Until our new support system is online and our staff is back in the office this fall, please direct your support request via mail to: Backpacking Light / ATTN: CSS / 1627 W Main St Ste 310 / Bozeman MT 59715."

So maybe everything will be fixed in a few weeks.

— Rex

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"So maybe everything will be fixed in a few weeks."

We are all confident that you are correct.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"So maybe everything will be fixed in a few weeks."

That's the spirit Rex.

uncontrolled laughter from the peanut gallery..

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

E-Mailed Ryan and Stephanie concerning the SSI issue. Reply from Stephanie is as follows:
    "Thanks Ken. Yes, the issuing company is working on it – we had a business name change last year and this glitch is causing them to delay. Should be about a week."

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Thanks, Ken.

That's the first positive sign that someone is actually responding to member concerns.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Hmmm, it expires in November 2018, close to my birthday. Looks like someone's getting a domain name for his birthday!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The BPL SSL certificate was fixed on September 15, expires October 16, 2014.

— Rex

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools