Topic

Six Moon Skyscape-X

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moon Skyscape-X

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

I haven't had time to set mine up yet but I just got the last one in stock from hikelite.com

I an very happy with the weight and features but am curious if anyone has used this model yet on a through hike, and if so, how did you like it?

Are there any modifications I should make before heading out on a trip ?

The ground sheet I got for it (tyvek) is narrower than the inner tent at 36" wide, so I'm already thinking of a better option there.
    This is my first experience with Cuben Fabric……
    Thanks for any helpful info.

RA Amundsen

@grimner

I have a Trekker (the silnylon model), but this might apply to the X as well.

The nylon guy lines get slippery when wet. Combined with wind, this might lead to loss of tension. I have seen that (rather: woken to a flappy tent in rain and high winds), a couple of times and have replaced the cords.

The footend can easily become a bit too narrow which is a bit unfortunate given that is where the condensation comes down. With an extra cord you can fix that.

That said, I've had mine out in hefty gusts. Noisy, but it stood its ground.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

I've used my cuben x without a groundcloth and never had problems. Cuben fiber is remarkably tough, just clear the ground of sharp things first. The trekker has different guylines than the x, and with a good knot (bowline) there won't be any slippage. I also find the stuff sack to be too narrow and odd shaped to fit in my pack well. I just shake the tent off and stuff it into my backpack. Use a liner for the other stuff on top.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I am also a new owner of the X. Thanks for the info, Pete.

P.s. the Mountain Shop in Portland, OR has a few in stock if anyone is looking.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Thanks for the help folks.
    I didn't see any guylines with my new tent other than a piece of yellow cord
    which I am supposed to cut into pieces for guy loops, and to attach them permanently to
    the tent sewn loops, per the instructions.
    I will try to look for some you tube videos etc also but in the meantime shouldn't I buy some more cord ? And if so what should I get ?
    I have 25 yards of some cord from Hilleberg, 2 or 3 mm thick red/white kermantle looking stuff, way overkill I think for tent cord, so also wondering what the best stuff is nowadays.

I agree on the stuff sack. I just got an assortment of cuben sacks from MLD, so I will either use one of these or go without, as mentioned.
    Thanks.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Get 1 or 1.25mm dyneema, litetrail gline is the best.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

I think the yellow lines are spectra. Thin, light, slippery, and quite stong. I've met Ron Moak (the owner) and been to the SMD main office-they know their stuff and wouldn't sell anything unless it was proven. I trust the included guylines without hesitation.

By the way, I line in Portland and the Mountain Shop rocks! I could not believe all the cool stuff they carried in stock-Rab, Feathered Friends, SMD, and HMG to name a few. They took out a trekker and firstlight and set them up for me on the retail floor. I don't think REI would do that.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I'm looking at the yellow cordage supplied with the Skyscape-X and they gave me slightly less than two arms spreads or about 10 feet. The line is tiny with a flat or oval cross section. I went ahead and took the advice of the previous poster and ordered the dyneema 15M length. It is no longer sold by that vendor in two sizes, only the <1mm thickness now, 200# breaking strength. I ordered some bear bag "H" line while I was on the site, 2.5 mm thickness.
    I bought 8 stakes from Mountain Laurel, the shepherds hook paint dipped variety, titanium. Hopefully this was a good decision also.
    And I was going to order the mini nite-ize line tensioners but now I'm not sure whether those will work with this tiny diameter cord.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd get the "porch" for rainy situations so you can cook and also protect the entrance.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Nowhere could I find any info on the porch, although it is mentioned in the SMD sales literature. A search of the SMD website produced nothing.
    In my searching I stumbled across the Zpacks site and got some ideas to replace the Tyvek ground cloth with something better and lighter. I am thinking maybe just attach a heavier layer of cuben fiber with velcro tabs to the underside of the bathtub floor for an exact footprint. Expensive but I will pay for simplicity and reliability.
    Regarding suggested modifications I learned that SMD neglected to seal the seams of the bathtub, so I will be buying some cuben tape for this.
    If anyone knows of a link to where I might view this "porch" in use please post it.
    I found the most comprehensive review of the shelter along with some suggested modifications here :
    http://hikelighter.com/2012/04/03/six-moon-designs-skyscape-x/

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Or perhaps a poncho to double as groundcloth, a backup in case of rain jacket failure ?

tony landrum
    BPL Member

@landrumaaol-com

Locale: Texas

I have thru hiked the Skyscape X for more than 3 years, Colorado trail, Rocky Mountains, deserts of Texas.  It is a super dry weather tent.  It is very hard to consistently maintain a high bathtub.  That means in hard rains, the cuben fiber will blow up against the bug netting and drip down the bug netting into the floor of the tent.  I have spent hours on my knees pinching the bug netting with my fingers and pulling towards the middle to avoid the drips; and it isn’t fun!  Still do not how to rain proof this tent!

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

It sounds like you need to sell and get a new tent instead of suffering through 3 years of it?

tony landrum
    BPL Member

@landrumaaol-com

Locale: Texas

Well DGoggins, you’re probably right.  However, I was hoping for solutions, maybe I’m setting the tent up incorrectly, too high, too low, too tight, too loose, guy lines wide or narrow, guy lines set long or short.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Oh…well, I had a skyscape at my house a few times and every time I set it up, I always thought that it had 0 bathtub to it…which is further supported by others ->

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/102857/

https://hikelighter.com/2012/04/03/six-moon-designs-skyscape-x/

I doubt its a guyline issue.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. DREW MURPHY agrees with you on his review at the end of his PCT thru hike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools