Topic

smd skyscape x questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) smd skyscape x questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

I was considering purchasing the skyscape, but had a few questions after seeing some pictures. First, the bathtub floor seemed very short, if nonexistent. Is this a problem in the elements? How is the tent overall in the rain? Also, is it difficult to get a taunt pitch every time? Thanks.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Thank you for the link!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

SMD no longer sells the "porch" awning for Skyscapes but Ron Moak will send you the drawing/dimensions so you can make one yourself.

The Skyscape X is, IMHO, the lightest solo true tent (i.e. attached floor) available and a very good design. If you already use hiking poles you save the weight of tent poles with this design.

If I had the "disposable income" I'd get a Skyscape X for 3 season use. As it is I'm happy with my T.T. Moment DW solo tent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"http://hikelighter.com/2012/04/03/six-moon-designs-skyscape-x/"

Damn! I could have written that review myself. His observations are spot frickin' on, based on my 3 seasons using a Skyscape X. I would say that beefing up the floor with 1.24 Cuben is the most critical improvement that could be made to this otherwise superb tent.

To Myles: Read that review carefully. It will tell you all you need to know about the Skyscape X.

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, that review was very nicely done, and informative.
    Funny about the floor leaking, because as he said, I haven't heard of that happening before. I haven't really came across a bad review, and that is very encouraging. I really like the design, as it is pretty close to what I have now, A TT notch.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I've been pleased with other purchases from Six Moons. My lunar duo is a very nice tent. A bit big at times and I'd rather have cuben, use fewer stakes…I've always liked the Skyscape models. The non cuben models are very reasonable. The x model is very tempting.
    For those with a bit less money to spend…

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/bargin-bin/TrekkerOld.html

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I agree with Eric. Minus the concern you had with the bathtub floor, this is IMHO the top dog for a real "tent." Not as versatile as a fly/inner that is removeable, but for people who do not need the versatility, I really like this tent.

Disclaimer: I have NO direct experience with this tent, whoever I do own a Lightheartgear solo, which is a very similar design. My ideal perfect tent would be a LHG Solo/SoLong6 in cuben. I wish Judy still worked with cuben…

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

hey all, i am happy to try to answer any direct/specific questions about the smdsx that anybody might have. i think i also need to update the article, a number of design changes have happened since i published that article/review. ah, yet another thing for the todolist. glad you guys found my article to be worthy of sharing!

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Thanks for all of the input. I did appreciate all of you info, John. It is looking like the tent is the real deal! I have not found any reviews that said anything really negative.I do wish there were more videos o, it, though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools