Topic

2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The mass start date will be May 31st, 2014, at 0800 MST. Start location will be the rest area at Marias Pass on Highway 2. Finish is the Monture Creek TH north of Ovando.

The executive summary would note that this combines the potential snow hazards of 2012 with the water hazards of 2013, and is significantly longer than either.

Discuss.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Almost dead North to South – but as those familiar with the Bob know – the ranges that run it's length are all at a slight NW to SE angle. So with an 85 miles direct path from Point A to Point B participants will have to contend with a handful of divides.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow great course. Nice to see the longer distance. Looks tough.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Sounds tough, challenging, fun. Whatever this winter brings us will no doubt set the mood. I better get myself into shape.

Greg Gedney
    BPL Member

@ggedney

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region

Intresting course for 2014. North to south should pose a challenge as it limits rafting possibilities to only a relative few sections of river given the over all distance to cover. Might have to consider leaving the boat at home this time around. Looks like quite a few passes to traverse as well. This one will be tough on the feet but nevertheless looking forward to it.

John St. Laurent
    Spectator

@johnstl

Locale: Pacific NW

OK, I'm in. Again.

2014 was supposed to be my inaugural packraft bid, but it looks like this will be a route for pedestrians, which is fine by me.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Have you scooped up a packraft John? There's not major opportunities to save time with a raft on this route, but rafting a few short bits could add a neat dimension to the trip. White River is a sublime stretch.

John St. Laurent
    Spectator

@johnstl

Not yet. Either this year or next. If this year, I'll almost certainly procure during the sale next month.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

The nervous excitement begins. Should be a lot easier pre planning than last year since I know a bit more what to expect. I will take a bit more time than last year to take advantage of being in such a cool area.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Assuming normalish water levels, there's at least one good rafting route.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Call me an armchair commenter because I've been following the race since it's inception but have not participated up to this point. Whatever, take it or leave it.

My research is showing a route that is between 104 and and 113 miles with roughly 19 of those miles possible as a downhill water route. What's everyone else's research looking like?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For those of us who don't raft, the route I came up with is about 125 miles, with (at least) five potentially serious crossings. I'd like to participate again, but I haven't decided yet whether I'm comfortable with the route, given the challenge involved last year which had flows well below average. We'll see.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I rarely count miles with much precision. The route I aluded to above has between 20 and 30 miles of floating, depending on water levels and wood tolerance. As a further hint, hiking the same route has between 1 and 3 potentially gnar creek crossings (and two uses of stock bridges, which is sorta cheating).

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Now let's not let this become another bolting or style debate like in the climbing world, please.

Any form of human-powered locomotion is allowed within the identified course area. No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.

John St. Laurent
    Spectator

@johnstl

I paid good tax money for those stock bridges!

There will no doubt be plenty of other opportunities for me to get wet, aside from any bridged crossings.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Don't tempt me into changing the rules ;)

In all seriousness, it's interesting to think about just how much a bridge in a certain spot (Headquarters Creek) will change route planning. It's one of the things that makes this different than the Wilderness Classic.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I'll use a stock bridge but promise NOT to go out of my get to it. How's that? I'm also trying stay off pack trails to avoid the usual mudbaths that I have walked elsewhere but this might be tough since Monture Creek and the Flathead are main routes… correct?
    I lost count on stream crossings but am planning on 3 passes: Hahn Creek Pass, Pot Lake/ Pot Mountain, Big Lodge Mountain. I am using and fully appreciating the attention to detail on the Cairn Cartographic maps!!
    Steven M.

John St. Laurent
    Spectator

@johnstl

This seems to reflect our event philosophy. Sort of…

Hitler Rants About Today's Ultrarunners

YouTube video

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Steofan,
    last year on the Open I took much of your proposed route from near Larch Hill Pass through Shaffer. I did not take Trail 90 or 243 north or the intersection because they were closed due to fire. (I would check the status of those trails if your plan depends on them.) instead I dropped cross country down to Trail 83 via the Hoop Creek drainage. Pentagon Pass, which you referred to as Pot Lake or Pot Mountain is a classic Sierra style pass. there was a boatload of snow on both sides of that pass but very doable. Once out of the snow it was a cruise down to Shaffer. The river crossing at Shaffer will be one to watch. I didn't have much trouble with it last year, much to my surprise but it is a real river crossing and should be monitored.

Cyrus Dietz
    BPL Member

@cyrus

Locale: Midwest

I am trying to put together a tentative gear list and considering a boat for crossings. I was wondering if the Scout was big enough to carry (1) person with (2) peoples gear and then on second trip(2) people across a river section? Dave, what are your thoughts? My other thought was to bring Kate's Apaca stripped down (no seat, backrest, or deck)for that purpose.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Cyrus, that would be theoretically possible, but the Scout would be front heavy, and finding room to paddle would be tough. I'd only want to do the gentlest crossings that way.

Meredith and I have done tandem crossings in my Yak a number of times, and that works well. 12" tubes are good here. Two trips are still required if both people have full packs, and care is required in moving water.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Bump for February.

Our snowpack is in fine shape at the moment, at or above average for everywhere in the Bob complex. As usual, what that means for early June will depend on when and how fast melting gets going in April.

Depending on who shows up, I'm expecting on route times of 3-7 days. For folks traveling from well out of town who'd like to make even more of an adventure of it, there are a couple of intiguing options to add a prologue of sorts in Glacier NP. I'd be willing to help with that, including route planning and bringing a resupply of food to Marias on Saturday.

I'd encourage anyone who can make it to plan on a dinner and gab session Friday night at the Snowslip Inn, a fine bar and restaurant well beyond all cell service about 15 miles WEST of Marias Pass.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for the update, Dave. I'm out for this year. Had to choose between this or spring run and I've hardly been able to train for that. Maybe next year I'll get to join you guys. Will be watching from afar until then!

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I'd be interested in partnering with someone for a pedestrian (no raft) route.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools