Topic

Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon Photo Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon Photo Essay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon Photo Essay

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Thanks for the tantalizing photos! Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip like that someday…you keep me inspired.

I have an REI Flash 30 and was wondering how you managed to pare it down to 12 oz. Did you cut out the back panel and other major surgery? Just wondering.

Happy trails!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

That hike looks like one of those "hikes of a lifetime."
    Thanks,
    Tom

Robert Diehl
    Spectator

@robert-diehl

Thanks for the great report! I would imagine you're carefully checking weather reports right up to launch. But then again, that part of the country can look sunny and beautiful at lunchtime, and by early afternoon a thunderstorm hits! Is there a service that alerts you to hi/med/lo flash flood danger, or would you simply abort the hike if you saw cloudy skies? How did you decide your go/no-go?

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Beautiful, outstanding photos, until…

I came to the photo which had great big foot holes chipped into the rockface.
    Am I the only one that thinks such damage to a beautiful natural feature looks awful?

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Often, if it weren't for notches like that, for hanging ropes, rails, and other helpers, places would be entirely inaccessible, or the death toll for visiting them would be much higher. I personally see no difference between notches in rocks left by homo sapiens and burrows dug by rodents or nests left by birds (and surrounded by landscape-marring white guano).

Many of these places we currently treat as wilderness were the stomping grounds of primitive tribes. Nature is not a museum, it's our home.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools