Topic

Looking for trip location ideas the last week of Sept

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Looking for trip location ideas the last week of Sept

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am looking for trip ideas for the last week of September with as many big views above tree line hiking as possible. I had thought about Emigrant Wilderness but it sounds like that may be off the table due to the fires. I have done JMT, the Winds, and Rocky Mtn NP in the past and would like something similar. I can fly into any major airport (Denver, San Fran, Las Vegas, SLC, etc.). I am planning on flying out on Thurs Sept 26 and returning on Tues Oct 1.

Thanks

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Weminuche Wilderness, Colorado.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

It looks like a beautiful location. Is it about 5 hours from Colorado Springs?

Any perticular loop that you recomend?

Would the weather be too unpredictable this late in the year at that elevation?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

No other suggestions? I need to at least book my flight this weekend. So far I have looked at flying into:

Colorado Springs
    Denver
    San Fransico
    Salt Lake City
    Las Vegas
    Reno

I can get to all of those places by noon on Thursday 9/26 (except Colorado Springs, can't get there until 7pm). I need to fly back on Tuesday morning 10/1 (which I can do from any of those).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am partial to the Trinity Alps…

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

If you have not done them….Grand Canyon and Zion are amazing!Glad you are hitting the trail !

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

It looks like the closest major airport to the Trinity Alps is Sacramento? They look great, would we be relatively safe from smoke and ash from the Rim fire? How would the weather be in late September?

I have never been to Zion or the Grand Canyon and they seem relatively close to Las Vegas for air travel. Interesting options for sure. From the NPS website it looks like it might be 85-90* during the day? Does that sound correct?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sacramento is your closest airport. Only 4 acres burned so far this season there. Big fire near Willow Creek, so there has been smoke. Late September and October are a wonderful tine of year up there. Still warm during the days nice nights. Very little chance of rain.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Is there a good map out there? I didn't see anything on Tom Harrison's site or from Trails Illustrated.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Is there a good map out there? I didn't see anything on Tom Harrison's site or from Trails Illustrated."

We like it like that up here. You'll have to peruse online maps and trip reports.

What are your cross country skills like? What kind of mileage do you want to do per day?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I have done some off trail work in Wind River Range and Rocky Mountain National Park, but not a ton. I went from Island Lake over Knapsack Col and down to Peak Lake in WRR and in RMNP I went from Lost Lake over Mt. Dunraven and skirted Mummy Mountain to Lawn Lake.

I would be flying in around noon on Thursday so probably a short day. On Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I would be looking for 15 miles a day and then drive back to near the airport Monday night so I could fly out early the next morning.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools