Topic

Do any tall people (6’2″+) have experience with the Gatewood Cape & Serenity Net combo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do any tall people (6’2″+) have experience with the Gatewood Cape & Serenity Net combo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ian Kyle

@ieo

I just know somebody is going to have links to old threads with the same question, but I couldn't find them.

I'm interested in getting a SMD Gatewood cape with the Serenity net tent. Problem is….I'm 6'2". Judging from the schematics it should work, but just barely (26×84). But after reading reviews, time and time again I read "I'm only 5'_" and It's small for me" or something like that.

I'm just looking to fit my large sized neoair (25×80…mine ran long) in the Serenity…if that will fit, I will fit. My gear can go in the vestibule or outside even.

Unfortunately SMD hasn't replied to multiple emails….hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

P.S- While I'm at it, have any tall people had experience with the Skyscape? I'm interested in that too…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    James Blackwell
    BPL Member

@blackwelljc

Locale: Oklahoma

The gatewood and serenty are my goto shelter,BUT at 5'10 and a neoair my face is only
    a couple of inches from the net. The gatewood alone would be plenty of room for you. You could look at Bearpaws pyranet, its a little longer and wider. I also have the skyscape scout and it has lots of extra room for me both at foot and head.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I am 6' 1" and have a Skyscape Trekker (Sil Nylon.) I have plenty of space at the head and foot end. One time the bottom end of my sleeping bag was in contact with the tent, but that was because I was on uneven ground and had slid down. Normally there is no contact at all between the sleeping bag and the tent even though I use a Neoair and am raised up a few inches.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Unfortunately SMD hasn't replied to multiple emails….hopefully you guys can help me out. "

… There's your sign :(

I have a Wild Oasis, which pretty much the same size. I am 5'11" and with a NeoAir I just fit in it. Nice shelter, BTW.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Ian,

Actually we did respond to you on June 17th. You might check your spam folders as our emails sometimes get redirected. Below is the reply to you inquiry in case you can't find it.

Ron

You are correct that at 6'2" you'll be at the limit of comfort sleeping in
    the Gatewood. Complicating the matter is the pad you're wishing to use.
    The Neoair at 3" is quite a bit thicker than the normal 3/8" to 1" pad. As
    such, it further reduces sleeping space for taller people.

If you're using trekking pole for support, you can raise the canopy by
    several inches to compensate for both your height and the depth of the
    pad.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

Ian Kyle

@ieo

Yes, You did reply! And you're right…it ended up in spam. So sorry!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools