Topic

Getting ciagarette smell out of tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Getting ciagarette smell out of tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    warpig 602

@warpig602

Locale: Iowa/Arizona

Found the perfect tent for me on Ebay, Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1, was described as "new, other" meaning it may be missing original packaging etc, etc.

Box showed up today, opened one end of the box and was hit with an all to familiar smell….cigarette smoke, heavy, Sh*t!!!!

What really gets me boiling is the fact that I passed up a few others on my list o get it and now I have this smelly pile. Funny thing is, it didnt appear to have ever been setup, but the smell is so bad it literally gave me sore throat putting it up(wanted to make sure I didnt miss any other damage) hopefully I'll get a full refund. I initially thought I would just ask for a partial refund to cover the cleaning expense but after putting it up I seriously doubt I will ever get the smell out.

Worst case scenario if I get stuck with this thing, has anyone had any luck with getting stong cigarette odor out without damaging the water proofing?

Why couldnt he have at least been a pipe or cigar smoker…….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Give MiraZyme™ Odor Eliminator a try. It is a powerful blend of natural enzymes and microbes to remove odors caused by algae, bacteria, mold and more. McNett has identified, separated and reproduced a unique blend of 10 naturally occurring and highly adapted enzymes, microbes and other organic ingredients designed to identify and destroy odor.

Edit: lifted from a thread on the same subject years ago.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A co-worker borrowed my JanSport Yellowstone done tent in 1983 and his burnout daughter slept (and smoked) in it. He was really apologetic and had a sent off to a cleaning service, one that specialized in outdoor gear, but it shrunk slightly. The odor was gone, and I could set it up, but all the poles and zippers were a bother ever after because they were all a little tight.

If you do wash any coated fabrics DON'T use a laundry detergent. They can quickly delaminate the sil or urethane right off the nylon. It looks like skin peeling off a bad sunburn afterwards. Try the mildest soap you can.

Airing things out and using water only has not been successful for me on other nylon items off of eBay. Now I read the listing very carefully, ask questions beforehand, and would insist on a return for undisclosed smoke damage.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Take it outside and spray it down with a hose, use some light soap too.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

it may not have been smoked "in". i bought a very nice Simpson voltmeter off ebay from a fellow that rebuilds them (the meter works great) but apparently he smokes like a locomotive. the stench was so bad i put the thing in storage for 3 years just to keep it out of my house.

perhaps your smell is just from the tent and box being near real smokers.
    1. – go the mirazyme treatment. no bad effects on my tents of gear with it so far (several years now)
    2. – lend it to a teenage boy. it will reek so badly afterwards, that cigarette smell will be a fond memory.
    3. – crawl in there with a honk'n torp and blaze away. by the time you're done, it will smell marginally better … and you won't care.

cheers,
    v.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I love that Peter still uses the word torp. You already have the tent, try cleaning it. You'll have to handle it to send back or whatever your plans are since you already have another gear swap post looking for this tents' replacement.

warpig 602

@warpig602

Locale: Iowa/Arizona

Yeah, the seller says hes not sure how it happened as it didnt smell that way when he mailed it. He has agreed to just refund the money, hence my post in the gear swap.

I really liked the tent and would have tried to make it work but the seller didnt want o put out anymore money to try and make it happen especially if the results werent guaranteed.

And no, I doubt it was smoked "in" but definitely stored in a smoking environment.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Wash it in your bathtub with one of the special soaps for tents, then apply a DWR treatments. Set it up in your back yard for a week. You should be good to go.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I bought a Juggs radar gun on ebay, the case and foam liner stunk to high heaven of cigarrette smoke. I aired it out. It still had a slight smell 3 yrs later when I sold it.

People that smoke cant smell, they dont know how bad their stuff stinks. If you smoke in a house or car, everything smell like an ashtray. Everything.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

If it was only stored rolled up in a smoking area I bet it would air out pretty good as most of the odor and any residue is on the outside. If its been smoked in maybe a lot harder to get the smell out

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Cigarette, cigar, or pretty much any smoke smell will go away if set up in a ventilated area for a while.

Also, you can adjust to the smell after a while if you need to use it right away.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Wash it, air it out.

If it still smells, you could put an ozone generator in it for a short time.
    Nothing better, but ozone will degrade some materials.

Garth Collier
    BPL Member

@garthc

Locale: Singapore

I have suffered a similar fate with a guitar i purchased and did some research into this to try and remove the smell….the issue is that cigarette smoke when it settles on items leaves behind a oily waxy tar substance….this is what you need to remove to get rid of the smell….many recommendations will just try and mask the smell..eg Febreeze etc…if the tent has a bad smoke smell then i think that any process to remove the tar substance will degrade the waterproofing on the tent…i would send it back….note it took 10 goes of using a steamer to get rid of the smoke smell on the guitar case. Hope you resolve you problem.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Those of us that grew up before the smoking bans remember a time when everything smelled of cigarettes.

You ate in restaurants in a cloud of smoke.
    Most businesses had ash trays.
    Even movie theaters and airplanes had ash trays attached to the seats.

We got used to it. The smell is harmless, unlike the smoke.

The tar does break down and the smell goes away after a while.

Setting up the tent for few days should get rid of most of the smell.
    Washing with mild soap can help somewhat.

I had a tent that smelled of campfire smoke after a group of revelers built a fire a good distance from my tent after I went to sleep.

My tent happened to be on the downwind side of the fire and the wood they burned was wet and very smoky.

The smell either went away after a few days on the trail, or maybe I just got used to it.

It was a very minor annoyance. There are many things out there that will annoy you more than a smoke smell in your tent.

Dharma Dog
    BPL Member

@dharmadog

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp

Meh..not that big of a problem especially if you got a good deal off of ebay.
    Sunshine and a good hosing off will do wonders.
    If not, do what I do and crawl in there with a double 18 year old MaCallan and nice aged Arturo Fuente or Padron and your tent will smell perfect in no time.
    DO NOT wash it down with any commercial cleaners as it will compromise the performance of the tent fabrics.
    And above all please ignore Peter's number 2 recommendation, as the previous owner of two teenage boys I can honestly tell you that once they've spent a night in your tent you won't want it back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools