Topic

Trap Hills, Michigan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trap Hills, Michigan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

lol

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Rog, are you interested in a Trap Hills outing?

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Most definitely 'fortunately.' Have a blast!

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

mmm, just spotted this one. Not fully in the habit of checking the forum, but getting better. I need to do the same on my spontaneous outings.
    15yrs of marriage is a feat worth celebrating, so I'll be elsewhere with the wife that weekend. If your date changes let me know. I'll monitor this post. For shuttle,
    contact Don @ Superior Shores Resort. 800 344 5335. He was cheap, I think a $1 /mile. We paid maybe $40-45 for a run from M64 to Old Victoria (entire trap hills).
    I'll make a point to post more of my outings here. Thinking of skiing the length of Pictured Rocks this winter, – if downstate members want in that makes the shuttle easy.
    Post us a trip report when you return.
    Dana

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Dana,

I am hoping to organise a couple of Bpl outings in the UP this fall and winter, I am tied up until late October but good after then.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks Dana. I'll keep that info for future trips.

I think I'm going to just do an out and back and see how far I can go.

I've also been looking at the west branch Ontanogon River as a packrafting loop with the Trap Hills section of the NCT. Anyone know if the Ontanogon is raftable?

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

Yes, it's very packraftable. Ive done the Traps about 8 times from Victoria to Norwich Rd. For your trip now- do you have a mountain bike? Take it, please! stash it along Norwich rd, return via the 2 track north of the trail. Easy 10 mile mountain bike simple shuttle. 14 miles hiking, then you don't have to backtrack. Bummed, wish I could join you. Plan on a dry camp up high on a ridge for killer views. Constant water sources every 2 hrs, don't carry alot of water.
    As for the W branch, we canoed it as our return shuttle in 1st wk of June, water was still good. This time of year would be low. Very good though for all of May and June.
    Some good class I and II.
    Here's a link to my trip 2 yrs ago.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2383314621049.139420.1196232101&type=1&l=817ee3abbf

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks guys, for the help and suggestions with the Traps.

I didn't go as far as I had hoped, but it was a solid 30ish mile (total) out and back. I made it from M64 to County Road 630, then turned around and camped on one of the previous hilltops with a view. It's probably a good thing I didn't go further because my right knee began to hurt on the downhills the next day.

This was an odd trip for me. Explanation in a coming trip report. :)

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools