Topic

Kids Hiking Poles with Rubber Tips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kids Hiking Poles with Rubber Tips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

My son is turning 5 next month and I want to get him a set of hiking poles for his birthday.
    He currently needs poles that are about 30” (76cm) long.

I am looking for the following features:
    -adjustability because he is growing like a weed
    -small grips so that his small hands can fit around them
    -be able to change from steel to rubber tips or have a rubber cap that fits over the steel tips for use on
    pavement (we live in the city and even the trails around here are paved)

So far I have found these three poles but none of them have a rubber tip option:

Black Diamond First Strike Junior Trekking Poles
    http://www.rei.com/product/830476/black-diamond-first-strike-junior-trekking-poles-pair

REI Traverse Junior Trekking Poles – Pair
    http://www.rei.com/product/847930/rei-traverse-junior-trekking-poles-pair

LEKI KIDS' VARIO XS TREKKING POLES
    http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&language=en&currency=USD&products_id=120093&utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=Leki&utm_campaign=CSE&utm_term=Leki-Kids'-Vario-XS-Trekking-Poles—Pair—S13&zmam=55982562&zmas=1&zmac=799&zmap=120093

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Look at Nordic Walking poles. Smaller grips and rubber tips.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I bought a pair of the Black Diamond childrens flick lock poles for my 81 year old mother and she is about 4'10" and has tiny hands.She loves them and takes them everywhere.When I bought them they came with a rubber tip which she keeps on,but Mary is right REI does sell a separate rubber tip that will fit them.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Speaking of rubber tips, I know that supposedly they are intended for pavement only, but I have generally used them all the time. On my last trip, I tried taking them off for the final day and found that I was really annoyed by the noise of the steel tips on the granite. I did decide that in wet conditions the steel tips would be superior on rock, but otherwise the rubber actually seems to grip more quickly, whereas the steel tips needed to slide into their niche first. But mostly it was the noise that got to me.

Anyone else feel the same way, or am I just weird?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Nordic ski poles from Goodwill and a hacksaw: about $5 per pair.

A 36- or 48-inch hardwood dowel, 7/16" or 1/2" from Home Depot: $1.75 each. Cut to length. 10 inches of webbing for a handle (ski pole style, so the strap can take body weight). Rubber bumper, screwed on the bottom (79 cents?)

If the poles are few dollars each, they don't need the weight or complexity of being adjustable, just make a selection of them for different ages.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Do kids need hiking poles?

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Oh Nick, sure they do! Especially if they want to be hikers like Mom and Dad! :-)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wouldn't sweat the rubber tip thing– I'll bet that one brand of tip or another will fit. The Leki's look like standard tips to me and I like them better than the other two that have ski pole style tips. The Leki's will be repairable as well.

Then again, I like the idea of hacking ski poles to suit. I see kids ski poles in thrift stores all the time. You could fake some rubber tips with chunks of rubber fuel line. He'll be grown out of them as fast as you can blink :)

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

Nick- currently my son insists on using my poles so if I am ever going to get to use them again I have to get my son his own pair.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

David- I live in Florida so unfortunately I don't think I'll find any poles at Goodwill.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered the Black Diamond First Strike Junior Trekking Poles. They are on sale from the manufacturer for $37. I'll wait until I receive them before tackling the rubber tip cover problem; either an outfitter will have set that fits these poles or I will have a MYOG project on my hands.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I would have gotten a set of the OP Poles from Wally World and shortened them. If the grips were too big, replace them, as they have to come off for the shorten job anyways. And they come with rubber tips.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like a good buy. I would start with the REI/Komperdell style tip covers: http://www.rei.com/product/802064/rei-trekking-pole-rubber-walking-tips-12mm-pair

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

dk,
    Yes, 1000%.
    The carbide tip scratches on the Rainbow Ledges just south of Abol Bridge on the AT got so intense that comments got into the Maine Mountain Guide. This is NOT LNT.
    With a little searching, rubber tips can be found for most poles that will not come off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools