Topic

sore throat after long backpacking trips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion sore throat after long backpacking trips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I've noticed that my throat is sore/dry after I come back from long trips of 15+ miles per day.

This weekend it was REALLY bad.

It almost feels like I have a cold.

Anyone else have the same issue?

What did you do about it?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yea.. my remedy is to create as many new nonsense threads on BPL as I can.. very soothing

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mouth breather, or allergies? Other than that never heard of this,

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Post nasal drip + cold, dry air maybe. LOL at Jason G ; ).

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Same thing happens in airplanes. I think it's the dry air. Solution is to breathe humidified air at lower elevations—or get out of the airplane.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I breath through my mouth…

If no one else has heard of it I'll just talk to my doc… most of these things are common so maybe it's just me.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Yup dry air, plus at least partly mouth breathing. Prolonged exertion in low humidity gives me a painful sore throat. Don't have much experience at altitude but the little I do have suggests higher elevations exacerbate the problem.

ETA: Hard candy or throat lozenges help. Honey too, if you ever take it.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I know any time I'm out overnight and it's chilly (and in Alaska, that's most nights even in the middle of summer) I wake up puffy and hoarse with a runny nose. It's been a while since I've done more than a weekender and I can't recall now whether that went away after a few days or not. In your case, it sounds like it doesn't show up for a few days.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

"Prolonged exertion in low humidity gives me a painful sore throat."
    "mouth breathing"
    I would agree with this.

"ETA: Hard candy or throat lozenges help. Honey too, if you ever take it."
    Honey works wonders for a sore throat. Just ask my grandma.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the same thing happen to me. Not sure why, but it happens pretty consistently.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Does it matter whether you breathe through your nose or your mouth?

Yes it does.
    Nature gave us a filtering system called a nose. The nose helps to regulate the volume or air we breathe. The nose cleans, warms and humidifies the air preparing it for the lungs. The mouth can do none of this. If you breathe through the mouth there is a drying of saliva leading to an increase of bacteria in the mouth and throat which can lead to gum disease, tooth decay and sore throats

Google search .(1.3 SEC)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

and if one is not already in fantastic shape, yes, it will happen.
    just as if one is starting out a new (and brutal) workout regime, it's going to be a few weeks before you feel like you don't have a "cold".
    new to distance running ? ? = same thing.
    Frank is probably right, in it's being bacteria.
    i don't know the mechanics of it, but a really good romp + not being in stellar condition = fun and a sore throat.

once you are in decent shape, and you are making enough horsepower to hurt yourself, and beginning to enjoy it, that is when you will be loading your system hard enough to make your throat hurt. it's all good.
    it happens reliably enough that i keep a bottle of listerene in the car to deal with it. (helps a great deal to hit it early)

i ordered your e-myth book.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Bacteria on your hose mouthpiece, bike bottle spout or bottle top will eventually give you a sore throat. Turkey hunters have this problem if they don't sterilize their mouth calls after use.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Spelt nailed it. I have the same trouble at times too. Aggravated by allergies that plug up my sinuses and force me to breathe through my mouth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools