Topic

ULA Packs: colors and materials

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Dan D BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Ohm 2.0, but have one hesitation, color and materials choice.

Apparently the standard green and purple are a 210 ripstop and the two camos are 500d cordura. I understand that the the cordura is more durable at the cost of about an ounce total.

I can't seem to find many pics of the packs using camo. Does this mean its not very popular and thus not very desirable? Are there any other pros and cons to this? I ultimately don't care much, but i want to make sure I make an informed decision.

Thanks

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm

The standard color fabric is very durable for it's weight.
I don't see the need for anything more durable.

I personally wouldn't want camo because of the "playing army" appearance.

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The cordura is more abrasion resistant but the dyneema gridstop is more tear resistant. The latter is also more water resistant.

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Personally, I wouldnt want a camo pack.
I might not be able to find it.

But I did see one camo Circuit on the AT last yr. Was very soon after they introduced the option too.

Dan D BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Ah, that's a good tip about the ripstop being more water resistant. Well, I guess I see why the default is the default. Thanks, all!

Miner BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I own 3 ULA packs (from 2007, 2009, and 2012), all in the original green. Two of the packs have been on thru-hikes so they have a lot of miles on them. I haven't had any issues with the green fabric being damaged or showing any wear in any way. The mesh netting on the external pockets is a different story as they have some small holes from being snagged by blowdowns and such.

Ian BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Hmm…. I thought this conversation sounded familiar!

I ended up buying myself the green Ohm 2.0 and the Purple Blaze Ohm 2.0 for my daughter. I'm very much in love with these packs and don't regret the choice in materials. I haven't owned them long enough to do a proper review but I can see how there are people hiking the triple crown with a single ULA pack.

Chris . BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have a circuit in Camo. I can send you a pic if you shoot me an email.

I love to play army. In fact I hike in full tac gear and carry a rifle. The camo wraps it up nicely for me.

Actually I just think the purple and green are ugly.

Ian BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I don't mind the green but had I known how great the Purple Blaze looked in real life I probably would have ordered it that color.

UW be danged.

EDIT: but the pack Ken dyed looks pretty awesome.

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm

my circuit is green blaze and my cdt is purple blaze. i love both packs, but i must say the purple is where its at. its almost a mix of purple and blue.

i'm digging the black dye job. any info on how it was done?

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Get what suits you best! My ULA Circuit is green and it's only doing hiking duty for my UL gear. My next ULA will be the purple, that looks cool.
Personally for hunting I use Eberlestock, they have so many different neato camo choices and the material is quiet. I wouldn't carry an elk quarter in a ULA.

That dye job is awesome. As an artist I'm thinking "what mixes with green that would make a new color?"
Green and blue= aqua
Green and yellow= lime
More? :-)

Jeff M. BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I have an Ohm 2.0 in purple blaze and love it. Pretty rad color and my wife likes it. She'll be using it for the first time in about 2 weeks. My circuit is green. I've gone back and forth thinking about dyeing it. I'd really like a royal blue, but ULA isn't offering it and I don't think I'd get close to it by using dye.

Donna C BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:22 am

My Circuit is purple. Love it. Not a girlie purple, either.

Dan D BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:25 am

I think it would behoove them to post some actual pics of the packs using the different materials/colors. It may be intentional to reduce variation, but going sight unseen is too much of a gamble I think. Sounds like there are some cool options.

Link . BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:39 am

If you look under photos on their facebook page they have photos of different packs with different colors and fabrics including camo.

Ian BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:48 am

'Here are some photos of a purple Circuit.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=49785&c=516"

The White Blaze picture is certainly purple but that's not the purple blaze. I'll upload pictures of our Purple Ohm later.

At first when I only saw the swatch on their website, I assumed that the color was being marketed for the ladies. As mentioned before, it looks pretty nice and is gender neutral for sure.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Loading...