Topic

Spinnaker???

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
D S BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 7:04 am

Does Spinnaker lose it waterproofness over time (as the fabric softens)?

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 4:05 pm

You can also add tint by adding a small amount of pigment powder to the solvent/silicone mixture.
I turned my bright white SpinnShelter into a slightly duller finish by adding a little pigment powder.

I did this because I needed stealth. I sometime have to pitch camp near civilization.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Isn't Spinnaker fabric kind of noisy for a stealth shelter?

That was about the only objection that I had to mine.

–B.G.–

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I thought Spinnaker got it's waterproofness from the tightness of the weave and not from some coating – thus the lighter weight than 30D silnylon???????

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Spinnaker is silicone coated polyester. As opposed to silnylon. Less stretch than nylon.

PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

My understanding is the same as Ken's. Actual spinnaker fabrics for sailing can be nylon, polyester, or PEN with silicone, urethane, melamine, or polycarbonate coatings. But the stuff that has been used for backpacking shelters (that we call "spinn") is silicone coated polyester.

spelt with a t BPL Member
PostedAug 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm

So what is the denier of polyester spinn? I know there were issues in the past with sourcing material that was sufficiently waterproof. Could a person buy uncoated/dubiously coated, and DIY silicone it?

PostedAug 13, 2013 at 2:06 am

As far as the spinnaker being noisy, it quiets down after being packed and unpacked a few times.

I find that it can be a little crinkly during setup, but once pitched makes no sound, or at least not in my case. It may depend on the design.

I have two Spinnaker shelters. I have one that shows some wear at a couple tie-outs after a severe all night wind storm. It is still holding up though.

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 5:38 am

The reason I'm asking is that I recently bought a Spinnaker shelter (GG The One). It is certainly much softer (almost like silnylon) than another of the same shelter that I've examined. Although the fabric appears to be in great shape otherwise, I am beginning to doubt that it won't leak. I haven't had time to test it yet.

PostedAug 13, 2013 at 6:30 am

You can try the garden hose or sprinkler test.

Be aware that you can see some condensation inside if you do the garden hose test in hot and/or humid weather.

D S BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:05 am

Well, since I live in the SE and Hot/Humid is all we got, it may be a while. Kinda tees me off that I have a shelter that I can't trust enough to take it on a trip. I guess I could take a chance and see what happens.

PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:16 am

If a test is not an option, inspect it thoroughly for any visible leaks. If you don't see any, the worst that could happen would probably a slight misting in heavy rain.

A little mist is no big deal unless you think you are going to experience rain for several days in a row.

I have never had an issue with misting with my GG SpinnShelter, but I don't remember if I've ever slept through a heavy all night downpour in it.

I have been quite happy with mine.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 7:59 am

I have a spinnaker tarp

If I touch the inside with my sleeping bag, it leaks like crazy. If I don't touch it, not too bad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...