Topic

can you suggest a down jacket for my needs please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) can you suggest a down jacket for my needs please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I share Mike M's preference for hooded down jackets. I have found that adding a hood to a down jacket (or any other jacket for that matter) seems to increase the overall warmth of the jacket in a nonlinear way.

That is to say, a jacket feels A LOT warmer to me when a hood is added– more so than you might otherwise think. I don't know exactly what it is, but the whole jacket seems to trap heat much better and funnel it to your head when your hood is up.

In a lightweight down jacket you pay about a 1 ounce penalty for the hood, and to me this is an ounce very well spent. But of course, YMMV.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

We loose the most heat from our heads so if you can trap the 'heat' then that would make a big difference for sure :)

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Well after all that I bought the Stoick Hooded Hadron off another BPL-er. I figured I can include it as one of my 'layers' see how that goes. I bought another jacket a week earlier off another member here but I am not too happy to take it with me bushwacking with the weight of it at 485g (17ounces)…forgot the manufacturer but it is hoodless. anyway, lets see how it goes :)

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

The face fabric is a lot more durable than the high loft… I also read that the down is 98 grams, the exact same as the Down Sweater Hoody (non hi-loft)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"We loose the most heat from our heads"

Uhhhhhhhhh, no.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Mik said: "We loose the most heat from our heads"

Doug said: Uhhhhhhhhh, no.

Doug is correct if one focuses on the words the most

But I'm with Mik if his words are modified to "We loose a lot of heat from our neck and head"

But the importance of that really depends on what "cold weather" means.

When I was a kid living on the gulf coast "cold weather" was anything below 40F and below 30F was the end of civilization as we knew it. I would not bother with a hood there.

Most of my life has been spent in MN and come March those temps are considered t-shirt weather. In our COLD weather a hood makes a huge difference.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"We loose the most heat from our heads"

Not if it's screwed on tight.

alex hansen

@holden425

Which down jacket is:
    A pull over with a quarter or half snap opening
    Has a hood
    Is good down to 30 with merino short sleeve, LS base layers and wind shirt

I find that I never wear my down jacket with the bottom half of the zipper undone. I saw a video of mike cell land wearing a pullover but I don't remember him mentioning what it was.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

rom "The Hot Brain", MIT Press …

Thermal Response to Cold

Cold does not exist as a physical entity in and of itself. It is defined as a lack of heat and is not a different form of energy. We are not "pierced" by the cold winds of winter. Cold is simply a sensation that results from heat loss. When humans are exposed to a cold environment, their skin cools and stimulates cutaneous cold receptors, which increase their firing rate as skin temperature decreases . This in turn activates neural pathways to produce superficial vasoconstriction, piloerection or "goose pimples," and possibly shivering. The superficial veins under the skin constrict, and blood returns from the limbs via deep veins, the venae comitantes. This venoconstriction contributes to the lowering of skin temperature, which reduces the temperature difference between the skin and the environment, thereby decreasing heat loss by radiation, conduction, and convection. In very cold weather, vasoconstriction is so effective that tissue insulation can be increased sixfold. This is equivalent to wearing a light wool business suit. Interestingly, the insulation of the head does not change with environmental temperature because cerebral blood flow is kept constant : at -4 C the amount of heat lost from the head is about half of that produced
    by the body at rest. It is wise to wear a hat in the winter.

;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Now we know why Eric always seeks out hawt chicks.

–B.G.–

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

im a kind soul … if a hawty looks like shes going hypothermic, one should warm them up with body heat

;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm going to have to schedule a winter trip to Vancouver.

–B.G.–

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Alex,

Sounds exactly like the Stoic Hadron Down Hoody.

alex hansen

@holden425

Above posters mentioned keeping an eye on gear swap for the hadron anorak, is it no longer available? A quick search yielded nothing online from my phone, but it's difficult to look

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

It is available, just under backcountry.com Hadron. Same manufacturer…. stoic brand is being phased out.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I have the new one, it only comes in grey, and they improved the cuffs. My medium comes in at 7.5oz.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools