Topic

Need info–Three Sisters Loop Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need info–Three Sisters Loop Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I was thinking about doing a ~50 mile loop around the Three Sisters in Oregon's Cascades in September or October. I have been out in the area before, but never did this loop.

Does anyone have any insight for me (campsites, water sources, purification type, amount of time to hike, side trips)?

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I didn't get a reply from anyone on my request for information about the loop around the Three Sisters volcanoes in Oregon so I thought I'd ask again. I'm planning to go toward the end of September, and wondered about campings sites & water sources/purification. I'd appreciate any insight you folks have.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I tackled this as a five day loop [including climbs in the area].
    I went from lava camp to soap creek,soap creek to moraine lake area, there to obsidian falls area, then back to lava camp. There are several creek crossings and hiking through the lava flows can be challenging, there can be a lot of dust.
    There must be some current information at trailsnw.com or you could join trails.com, this would just give you maps.http://www.trails.com/trail_reviews.asp?trailid=HGW217-010 is another loop review in this area.Just cut and paste the url.
    How about calling the sisters ranger district at 541-549-7700 and just asking them.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Larry,
    Thanks for the ideas. I have talked with the rangers some, and plan to check in with them again when I get my permit (if I decide to camp in some of the restricted areas). I'm not a member of trails.com…have you found that valuable, and what areas do they cover?
    Tom

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I think you should ask around the forum because I'm not a member. I had a hard enough time joining this thing … .
    I recently headed somewhere armed with an map only to find the trailhead gone. Asking around I discovered the trail hadn't been maintained since the eighties and the trailhead was long gone away, gotta buy some new maps. It'ld probably be worth it just for that feature.
    Good luck.

Darin Banner
    BPL Member

@dbanner

Locale: Pacific North West

Thomas,

I am planning to hike the loop from September 6th to the 8th. I have not found anyone to go with yet. Maybe we could join up. I have good information on the route. Please go to http://www.banneradvisors.com to see my trip info. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Darin

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Darin,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm locked into the Sept. 15-18 time period. Besides, I don't think that I'll be doing 20 miles/day. I'll be hiking part of the way with my brother, but he doesn't want to do the whole loop. Let me know if your plans change.

I did look at your maps on the link, which did a good job laying out the mileage. However, the milage quoted on your info looks a bit longer than what I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

As you get closer to the date and afterward, I'd like to compare notes. I'm looking forward to this trip. I've been out there a few times, and get a kick out of the terrain and views. Andrew Skurka mentioned during one of his podcasts that this portion of his Great Western Loop was his favorite part to that date.

Tom

Darin Banner
    BPL Member

@dbanner

That's a shame. I'll let you know if my plans change. I don't know if it is me, the miles, the time, or the location, but I'm having a hard time finding someone who will go with me. Anyway, I got the trail information from Trails.com (http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp?trailid=HGW217-010). It was from the book Backpacking Oregon by the Wilderness Press. I have found Trails.com to be well worth the money for me. The trails are reproductions of chapters from guidebooks published by Falcon Publishing, The Mountaineers, and Wilderness Press. It includes guides to hiking, backpacking, camping, mountain biking, paddling, snow sports, fishing, etc. With my subscription, I don’t have to buy a new guidebook for every location or activity I want to do; I just buy the chapter I need. I used National Geographic’s TOPO! program to create the map. I just traced the trail on the map and it calculated the miles. I can send you a high resolution copy of the complete map if you like. Just email me at [email protected]. Good luck on your trip.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I got some additional info from someone that did two reviews on equipment as part of a 4-day Three Sisters Loop hike. The reviews talk about water sources and terrain.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/LEKI%20Ultralite%20Ti%20AirErgo%202003/Owner%20Review%20by%20Shane%20Bryan/

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Chemical%20Treatment/Katadyn%20MicroPur%20Tablets/Shane%20Bryan/Long%20Term%20Report/

He mentioned the need for a Northwest Forest Pass to park at any of the trail heads. "You can pick them up a the ranger stations, or any GI Joes sporting goods location, and probably most any sporting/outfiter type place. Its a tag that hags on you're rear view mirror." I haven't checked into this yet, but when I talked with the McKenzie River ranger station, they didn't mention it. I need to check on it more.

He also passed along some sites to get updates on fires. I thought I saw that the road was closed recently (still?)up to Dee Wright due to a fire.

http://www.nwccweb.us/
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/partnersites/eicc/index.html

Darin Banner
    BPL Member

@dbanner

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I spoke to the Sisters Ranger District Office (541-549-7700) and they indicated that you do need a pass if you are leaving your car at the trailhead. Also, if you are staying in the Obsidian area, you need a limited-access permit.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I talked with the Deschutes(sp) office tonight and they said that there was road construction on the road to Obsidian trailhead, and that you could not get farther than the Obsidian Trail from the west at this time. She had heard that the work should be done Memorial weekend. Best to check on it if you plan to leave from Lava Camp and are coming from McKenzie Bridge area.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I completed my Three Sisters Loop trip, and will write up a report soon (I have Daddy Duty right now). The trip was great, but the clouds obscured the views. Many of the creeks along the eastern side of the Sisters were dry until we gotm into the lower part, which was a different drainage system.
    Tom

Darin Banner
    BPL Member

@dbanner

I look forward to your report.

Darin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools