Any way you cut it, this is a very impressive athletic achievement. I also am intrigued by the mental breakdown that has been reported by many of the JMT attempts.
It just too bad that folks have to pass judgement on how others choice to spend their time. But since this has headed in the judgement direction I want to share a post that Anish put on her Facebook page. For those who don't know she is very close to smashing Scott Williamson's PCT record by about 6 days if she finishes at current pace. One thing you will see in all of her pictures is that she has an ear to ear smile. But how can she smile, isn't an average of 46 miles per day misery and the wrong way to hike? Shouldnt she be smelling the flowers? You be the judge.
from Anish on Facebook….
"I imagine people may think I am a natural athlete, the girl who played sports all through school. The exact opposite is true. I was an overweight child, a bookworm who sat with her nose in an adventure book and daydreamed. I never exercised and couldn't make it around the track without walking. When I graduated high school I weighed 200lbs.
I daydreamed of adventure, but the thing I daydreamed the most was that I would someday set a record. Not just any record though, an athletic record. I wanted so desperately to not be what I was. I hated my body and myself. I consoled myself by eating a bowls full of oreos and milk as though they were cereal. But somewhere deep inside I knew I was capable of doing something more.
When I was 20 I met something that would forever change my life. A Trail. Though my first few hikes were miserable as I forced my body to work, I was enthralled. Trails took me on the adventures I craved and to beautiful, wondrous, wild places. I lost my heart and soul…and eventually 70 lbs…to the trails.
Now, I am a few short days away from fulfilling my oldest daydream: setting an athletic record. I cry when I think about all the things I have overcome to get here, both on this hike and off. It makes me ever so grateful to that chubby girl who dared to dream big, audacious dreams. I am even more thankful that she grew up to be a woman courageous enough to make those dreams reality."

