Topic

Sunscreen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sunscreen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Don't know why people pay for expensive sunscreens, and less but still semi expensive butt etc creams, when it's easy and very cheap to make your own.

I bought a pound of micronized zinc oxide powder on ebay for around 8 dollars.

I mix about a couple of tablespoons of the powder in a mix of gently and mildly warmed extra virgin coconut oil with raw shea butter–a couple ounces of the oil/shea butter. The shea butter is a bit expensive, so i do two parts EVCO to one part shea butter. Neither of these need to be used, any thicker oil would work. Sometimes i put a few drops of lavender essential oil to the above because i really like the scent of same, and it has soothing properties to the skin (it's been used on burn patients with some effectiveness, and also soothing properties to the mind/emotions–research has shown it puts many people almost automatically into a relaxed alpha brain wave state).

I don't use much sunscreen (mostly on hands and sometimes face/neck), preferring to go with long shirts, wide brimmed hat, and pants often when in direct sun (shorts or kilt on shaded trails), however i've tested the above at the beach w/out shirt, hat, etc a number of times with good success, and i burn pretty easy. But like i said, it can be tweaked. I get coconut oil at Costco, which is the cheapest source of any place i've so far found. So far, i've only gotten raw shea butter at whole paychec.. i mean whole foods, but i'm sure one could find it cheaper online.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I read the Consumer Report report on sunscreens

Another group that does testing is EWG

for example http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/8-sun-safety-strategies/

"Rates of melanoma – the most deadly form of skin cancer – have tripled over the past 35 years. Most scientists and public health agencies – including the FDA itself – have found very little evidence that sunscreen prevents most types of skin cancer."

"Americans must choose between “chemical” sunscreens, which have inferior stability, penetrate the skin and may disrupt the body’s hormone system, and “mineral” sunscreens, made with zinc and titanium, often “micronized” or made up of nano-particles."

etc…

Long sleeved shirt, pants, wide brimmed hat are most effective, but may be considered uncomfortable.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's never very fashionable to cover up in the sun is it? The comments people will make are sorta funny but sorta ignorant.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I think maybe I sweat more with long sleeves and pants. On the other hand, maybe then evaporating the sweat cools me a bit.

Maybe one of those arab robes would work best

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

I tend to just wear lone sleeves and a hat and/or buff. I hate sunscreen so I just protect myself with clothes instead.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I too, always wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I usually wear the ball cap part of the Outdoor Research Sunrunner cap as well. Then I only need to apply sunscreen and insect repellant to the back of my hands, my face, ears and neck. When it's sunny yet cool enough, I also wear the Sunrunner cap neck covering.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yah, even if you wear long sleeve shirts, hat, etc, you still have to put sunscreen on your hands if you don't wear gloves, and occasionally your face/neck (though, by the time the sun angles that much, the uv is usually significantly weaker, and you need some exposure).

Roy Amaral

@rangie

It would probably be wise to use some healthy skepticism in regards to any claims from EWG. They have been a regular source of pseudoscience.

Peter J
    Spectator

@northoakland

Locale: Temescal Creek

It is delightfully easy to attack anyone by claiming that what they engage in is 'pseudoscience.' In fact much of BPL is pseudoscience and yet I still learn a great amount :)

Perhaps this ongoing look into the impact of suncreen on marine life will be 'science' enough:
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0065451

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have used Neutrogena sunscreen for many years and recently Consumer Reports has found it to be the best for all spectrums. Good enuf fer me.

BTW it comes in 30, 50 and 70 SPF, the latter being the equivalent of "TOTAL ECLIPSE".

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"It would probably be wise to use some healthy skepticism in regards to any claims from EWG. They have been a regular source of pseudoscience"

I am always skeptical, but they seem fairly reasonable

For example, EWG says that inhaling nano particles could be dangerous, recommends more studies, recommends that people avoid powdered nano particle products but in lotion they're okay.

I've heard other internet sources that are a lot more hysterical

Do you have any specific examples of EWG pseudoscience?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools