Topic

Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I have a new z-rest and just in handling it in my house getting ready for a trip I have noticed that the silver stuff rubs off and leaves gray on my hands. I use a quilt and sleep directly on the pad so obviously I won't be sleeping on the silver side. So I guess the silver will rub off all over the tent floor instead. Has anyone else noticed this annoying trait? Is there a fix for it? Maybe can it be washed off or removed somehow? I'm bummed out by this.

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 4:03 pm

You may want to contact Cascade Designs for warranty support. I don't think anyone else has reported issues with the SOL coatings but durability was one of the questions when the coating was announced.

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Piper,
Apparently you are one of the first to actually go hiking with this pad, versus just debate it virtues.

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm

That may be. I thought there had been a few posts about the newer pads field performance, but I can't refer you to one. I'm quite happy with my 2008 RidgeRest and can't see the need to upgrade for the improved R value. Apparently those with the old purple/black pads from the '80s or '90's feel the same. I do appreciate that the price stayed the same although I wouldn't be very happy with a bunch of silver dust all over everything either.

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

If I rub , I get some silver off my ridgerest solite. Its never bothered me.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm

"Its never bothered me."

That's nice. Might bother some others. Should not happen irregardless.

I was going to buy a new Ridgerest. Now I'll look for an older one.

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm

How much older? mines about 2 yrs. Its always done it.

I had the impression it was probably ….normal.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Pre Sol Ridgerest. Mine from the 90's were good enough. Just not around anymore.

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I haven't even hiked with it yet. My hands turned gray like I'd rubbed aluminum powder on them just handling the thing removing excess panels from it. It's more than annoying. I'm not looking forward to using it, but perhaps I will try to take it out on rest breaks and rub it around on the ground as much as possible before I sleep on it. I'll never buy another one with the silver coating that's for sure.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Oh no, another perfectly good thread ruined by physics arguments : )

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedAug 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Temporary issue if it rubs off.

i know, right, Jerry. What's next politics :P

Sarah Kuhn BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2013 at 6:53 am

Piper –
I would take Matthew's advise and contact Cascade Designs, especially if you are able to provide them with pictures of how extensive the coating rubs off.
A little initial dust I could understand and accept, but enough to make your hands look like you rubbed aluminum powder on them wouldn't be acceptable to me either.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...