Some interesting replies.
For the record, this is not a trick question or anything. I just got to thinking about the future, and what if robots were commonplace in say 10 or 20 years as a result of continued technological innovation.
I don't see why a robot could not be bipedal, there are already some pretty amazing bipedal robots I have seen that can both walk and run and even jump.
I am very much a minimalist when it comes to lifestyle, so I tend to agree with Ken's line of reasoning (thought I do own a dishwasher :P). But then I begin to speculate on just how good a robot that might be available in the future, and I think this is the crux of the issue. If it were affordable, ran on renewable energy, bipedal, and could carry my gear with ease, then it's hard to make a case against it appealing to minimalism.
The experience of being self-sufficient, however, is something that I value and would argue that we (humanity) ought to value in general. Note that this is not an is/ought fallacy simple because I use the same key words, unless someone wants to forward that being self-sufficient is not a favorable or beneficial trait to encourage in human beings.
Thus, one of the main positive gains of backpacking is the problem solving and self-sufficiency involved in the endeavor, and this would be nullified by taking a robot to do the work for you, it would seem.
But keep in mind that this need not be a false dichotomy of always/never using such a robot. What if, for instance, one took a robot with them on say a thru-hike of a very long trail like the PCT and used the robot every other day? Or what if you took the robot along and only had it take emergency supplies and extra food/water? There are a lot of variables and options.
So I am still undecided. One could in theory have a win-win situation of the convenience and comfort of using the robot and also the benefits and values of the experience of backpacking at the same time. It's something worth thinking about as technology continues to become more advance. Even if these robots never exist in our lifetime, surely gear will get both stronger and lighter and generally better with time. I wonder if in 100 or 1000 years, will UL mean under 1kg, SUL under 500g, and XUL under 250g base weight? Think about how much easier and potentially more enjoyable backpacking would be if you had everything that your current 3 season gear list contains, but at 10% of the weight.