Topic

Help: Tarp Above Treeline

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

Ti Shepard Hooks can be used

Pound is as best you can, then put a rock on top.

Or place sideways on ground and put rock on top.

MSR Groundhogs are more difficult to pound in to rocky soil because they have bigger cross section.

But, you have a point (hmmm, pun?) Ti stakes have such a small circumference that they easily twist around and then the guy line comes off. Definitly requires some fiddling and experience. A lot of times there'll be a rock in the way and it won't matter that Ti stake has smaller cross section, still won't go in. You can't pound them so hard without bending.

Nail stake might be better.

PostedAug 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

I am a fan of Groundhogs and I am a fan of 8" long shepherd hooks.
They both have pluses and minuses.

I actually carry the Groundhogs much less often now as I find the shepherd stakes work very well in most conditions, but sometimes they do need found objects to really hold in soft dirt.

They do very well in hard rock because they can often slip into cracks in the stone.
And very well in medium to very rocky soil and no pounding needed. Just twist back and forth until they slide in deep enough.

I am less of a fan of the 6" shepherd hooks as they are often just not long enough to hold in softer soil.

The best version are the Zia Silly Sticks. They are long and the extra little bend at the top gives more area for wiggling, a better surface to rest rocks on, a more secure hook for the line and more flexibility for other uses.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
Loading...