Topic

The Hammock Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Hammock Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I don't see the point in this. It's a hammock that pulls out of your pack and is attached to your pack. Why wouldn't you carry a separate hammock that is not attached to your pack?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

People will buy almost anything once. This is pointless as Justin says. Why? Plus it's a Kickstarter project, so probably won't come to fruition.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Makes me cringe every time I see one of these new hammock companies using ropes instead of tree straps. Just one more of the same old thing. Lots of people jumping on the hammock band wagon with absolutely nothing new to offer the community.

Matt

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Something similar was proposed at Trailspace last year or maybe early this year…
    The idea did not make that much sense to me (for hikers) but there was some enthusiasm there.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What would be an interesting idea is if you could just carry around a backpack harness and the hammock could be formed into the sack which would strap into your harness. This way you would eliminate the outershell of your pack.

Since Hammocks need to be a heavier weight fabric anyway and don't immediately fail with small holes you might be able to save weight this way.

As for the idea on kickstarter whay wouldn't you just always keep your hammock in your backpack at least before you attached the to you had a choice.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Holy cow. Folks have already given nearly $9,000 for this with 15 days to go.

edit: Greg posted a similar thought 2 mins prior

Ryan

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Greg and Ryan,

Google "bridgeskin" and "hammockforums". It's been done as a DIY (and might cool one at that), by a gent named Dutch, owner of Dutchwaregear.com. He posted his third iteration in May 2013. In short, it is a bridge hammock with integrated straps that folds into a gearskin type pack.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I can see how a bridge hammock could fairly easily be turned into a backpack. That's much closer to the innovation that impresses.

Ryan

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A camping hammock is so much more than just the hammock body. That plain hammock is okay for a hot afternoon nap, but you need tarp, bug screen, and top and bottom insulation to use it for use as a shelter. And then you are tied to that one pack model, etc, etc.

You can buy a 9oz hammock plus whoopie slings and tree straps for about $60 if you want a quality UL afternoon lounger: http://www.buttinasling.com/dolalo.html. You can buy cheap hammocks, but you'll nickle and dime yourself getting a decent suspension and then all the pieces to make it a usable overnight shelter. No free lunch!

Nice way to raise $10k!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools