Topic

Caribou Lakes, Trinity Alps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Caribou Lakes, Trinity Alps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

My daughter Libby and I left the coast around noon on Thursday, drove to San Francisco and picked up Matthew Black from work and started on our long drive north. Libby came along mainly as new tradition to come backpacking with me on my birthday. The drive was long but we laughed a lot..
    From Weaverville we drove another 35 miles to Coffee Creek. After 6 miles of curvy but paved road, we had another 12 miles of gravel before we made it to Big Flat , where we camped for the night.
    All three of us had hammocks.
    At 7 am Libby and I started our hike, Matthew was going to wait a bit and go a different route, at least the second part. We hiked the New Trail and Matthew hiked the same trail then braved the much harder old trail after the two intersected.
    Libby and I hiked at a very good pace, but really took our time to take pictures, stop at the most sweeping vistas to take it all in. It was a joy to hike with someone so aware of our surroundings, so appreciative of the big views, the clouds, the colors, the plants , the burned wood, the smells and on and on.

Here is some of what we saw, really whittled down . The hike in was 9 miles

.Libby uphill

Libby

Libby

Manzanita

Trail

Tree

Kat

Loving it

Our descent toward Little Caribou.
    Our descent

The tastiest water

Spring water

Once we came down to the Lake, Matt was already there waiting for us.
    It was only a little after noon so we set up camp ; while Libby took a nap and a read a book in her hammock, I cooked some, ate some, hiked up to Big Caribou and Matt did his own cooking, eating and day hiking.

First camp

There were quite a few clouds gathering in the sky and we heard some rumbles, so I pitched the tarp I brought over both our hammocks before hiking around, so Libby would not wake to getting rained on..

Camp

Hiking around

Clouds

The spot we chose to camp at was beautiful, but exposed; when the clouds opened up the heat was a bit much. We decided to move just a little more in the trees.
    Ken came strolling in to camp a little before sunset, glad to have his umbrella for the rain he encountered on the trail.

Ken

More to come in the next post

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Alpen glow

Alpen glow

Glow

Matt mit alpen glow.

Matt

On Friday morning Ken took off day hiking and we somehow missed him perched on a rock. Matt wandered around the lakes and hiked up to the ridge to see Emerald and Sapphire Lakes. Libby and I hopped around the lakes and swimming holes, made fried bread, swam and them met up with Matt for some more exploring and swimming.

Big Caribou

Lake

Lake

Making food..

Cooking

I have been told I never post pictures of me that are any good so Libby took a few

Cooking

:)” height=”413″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1375062287_86044.jpg” width=”550″ />

And Matt…
    Matt

Matt

More in the third installment

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

We found a beautiful little pond to swim in. The water was cool but comfortable enough to swim around and stay in for a while, particularly against the warm rock.
    We had the most beautiful view and had a great time all around. Heavenly, really.

Swimming

Pond

More

Another

We had decided to hike out around 1 or 2 pm and spend the night at the trail head, then drive out this morning.

Matt hiked on his own. Libby And I hiked together for a while and then Ken and I.

I really like how we combined doing our own thing and spending time together. There was no pressure, everyone was able to go at their own pace and enjoy .

Hiking out

I asked Matt to take a picture of Libby and I together. There were many funny ones. This one was right as Libby was calling me out for always putting my foot higher on a rock in pictures….because supposedly I am showing that I am "dominating" this rock..:)
    I dispute that. A little.

Libby and I

Tiger lilly

Hiking out in the heat with Ken "Poppins"

Ken poppins

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Looks/sounds like y'all had a great time! And what a beautiful area. Thanks for posting Kat.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This trip was special to me. Not only were Ken and Matt great company as usual, and the scenery spectacular…having Libby to share this with made it that much better.
    We hiked out in about three and a half hours ( 9 miles)taking pictures and a few little breaks. Libby was wearing 10 dollar shoes from the Flea Market ( her choice) .

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I really like how we combined doing our own thing and spending time together. There was no pressure, everyone was able to go at their own pace and enjoy ."

The essence of a great trip. You folks clearly had a real nice time in a beautiful place. You take excellent pictures, Kat. They, and your narrative, made me feel like I was there. The only thing missing was the smell of the fried bread. ;0)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Amazing.
    I need to get up to the Trinity Alps more. I am going to do a whole bunch of weekend trips there this fall (lower elevation should mean extended 3 season hiking).
    Is Libby your hat model on the site?

Another Trinity Alps BPL meetup this fall?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Great TR Kat and even better pictures!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Now that's a proper trip report.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks.
    Tom, I had to downsize my pictures so much it was heart breaking. They should be much better on my Flickr page, uploading them right now.
    Justin, that is my daughter and reluctant hat model, yes. I am always up for anotherTrinity trip!
    Thanks Doug and Jay!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Kat for getting me out. It was a different kind of group trip with all of us doing our own thing. Very enjoyable company as always.

I left work on Friday at 10:30 am. Started hiking at 3:30. It's only 168 miles. I stop briefly for a bite to eat on the way to the trailhead. Thunder, drops of rain greeted me when I was almost at the trailhead. Grabbed the umbrella. Rain never materialized. The umbrella was an much appreciated bit of shade.

I hiked up in the afternoon and had no shade through the large burned area. Hot and slow going. Beautiful all the same. Never saw another soul.

Got to camp with everyone else at about 8pm. Slept fantastic. Saturday was a blissful slow morning with a nice cup of coffee in the hammock followed by Hostess Lemon Pie.

Hike up to the swimming pools up by Big Caribou and poked around for a while. Lay in the sun, eat, drink, repeat..

Hike back to an empty camp and eat some more. A short nap later everyone is back in camp. Time to get packed up.

Back on the trail. Back to the cooler with icy goodness at the trailhead campground. A pleasant evening, followed by a decent nights sleep.

Up at 6am. We were all packed up and on the road by 6:30. I love that.

Thanks again Matt for retrieving my umbrella trailside. Thanks again to Kat for being awesome as always, and for bringing Libby along again.

I would pass on getting blisters on my pinky toes next time.

yogakat
    Kat's quiet time

cookset
    Another angle of the swimming pool.

gggg
    What do mean I'm not going?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ha Ken!
    It took me a minute to find myself there…..and on the picture..

I posted better resolution pictures on Flickr

Caribou Lakes, Trinity Alps, July 2013

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Beautiful pictures, and great trip report. Makes me want to go back up there…haven't been to the Trinity alps in way too many years (20?? ugh). Thanks for the report, Kat. And happy birthday!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Great report! I've been meaning to get up there for the past few years…must make the time soon. Ken – aren't dogs allowed?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I posted better resolution pictures on Flickr"

WOW!!! That's an understatement. What great pics. What camera did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Sharon,

Several people had dogs packing their own food and they all looked quite happy. I didn't happen to look at the rules but I think this link has the guidelines:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5158711.pdf

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sharon. Dogs are allowed. And all the ones I've met up there have been happy.

Edit: I swear I did not read Matthew's comment about the dogs being happy up there first. They just do, really.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Tom
    Thanks! I used a Sony Nex 5, about three years old , with a pancake lens.
    Libby and I both enjoy taking pictures.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Nice trip. Would liked to have gone. I have October 16 to the 20th marked on the calendar to go there.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Those lakes look so inviting! I'd be tempted to bring fins and a snorkel to enjoy the aquatics all day. Thanks for sharing.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

A huge +1 all around.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Kat,

Nice job all around. Makes me want to there.

I need to go visit my daughter in the Aracata/Eureka area. Is this close by?

Sending from my iPhone in an airport so no time to look it up right now.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Casey!
    Nick, according to my quick search Arcata is 1 hour 52 minutes from Weaverville.
    Once in Weaverville it's 35 miles on HWY 3 and then 18 on Coffee Creek road.
    Worth it!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I love the pictures. That huge slope above the lake camp is calling me big time.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Wow what a spot. Kat, thanks for sharing report and pictures. I clearly missed a good one.

Marc – I will likely be asking to tag along in October if there is room.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools