Topic

enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 101 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Tim

You should have the overfill option with your other options in the drop menu (length width and color) options.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

James,

Did they shrink? Kinda.

Due to the sewn footbox the enigma doesn't need to be as long to fit the same height user. So the template for my Rev 6' will actually fit upto 6'5" in an Enigma. But unlike before the fit info for the Enigma is the limit. With the Rev/Prod series you could push another inch or two, not with these.

I currently only have Regular and Long templates. The rest should go to the cutting shop this week but I'm not sure when they will get to them. I didn't want to wait any longer so I moved forward with limited sizing to start.

Aaron,

I agree, I'd much rather have the stripes and overstuff on the product page but my commerce solution isn't setup for it and the result is its very cumbersome to accomplish. I will be checking with them soon to see what can be done.

Thanks all for the feedback

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Good morning Tim,
    You might make me finally make a move on a quilt. Love the 15.25 oz. I'll do some more thinking and comparing tomorrow I guess. :(
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Yeah, they're pretty light!!

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Well, if I could just now afford to bid over $500 on an old stove :( and not win the bid, I should be able to fork over some money for a quilt now and have gas money left over to drive somewhere.
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Hmm

It sure would be nice to know if the ordering experience was working correctly before replacing my existing site :)

-Tim

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I looked at the site for the 30 degree Enigma.

There are several mentions of slim/regular/wide widths, but no option to pick those options.

Am I missing something?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Yes, read the line right above the buying options and right bellow the orange 1-3 week wait notice.

I just have REG and LONG templates for these at this time but wanted to get going on them while I get the others made.

-Tim

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

So for everyone who suggested having overstuff and weather stripping :) on the main product page I found a plugin and made it work. Its not as pretty as I like but it sure is easier than what i was doing. Thanks for pushing me.

-Tim

David Mandrella
    Spectator

@thedavil

Locale: Independence Lake

Weather Resistant stripes option does not reset when you hit "clear selection" button.

It says "Weather Resistant Stripes" twice.

Move the link for the stripes description link up to the new option box.

Long Size in the dropdown does not visually depict the "(+$10)" price adjustment.

Are you planning to have overfill options?

Also, one micro-gripe on your quilts is where the neck shock cord comes out of the top. It would be a ton better if that was on the side so it doesn't hang in your face..

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Tim,

I am confused by the weather resistant stripes. What makes them weather resistant? There isn't much description on the product page for this upgrade.

Also, your site seems to be running slow. Might be because everyone is checking it out.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

David,

Thanks for the heads up on the options showing up twice. Fixed easily.

Overfill will be available for the Enigma at some point but i don't think it is needed at all and I have a temp rating every 10*, so id rather not mess with it unless I must

I have tried the cord offset, at the edge and at the center and they all have good and bad points. The center cord is the easiest to find and adjust and once you sleep on your side either the offset cord is in your face anyway or behind your head where you cant reach it. Pulling the cord inside is a simple fix to keep it out of your face and at the same times makes it easy to adjust whole keeping your hands and arms inside the warm quilt.

-Tim

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Also, one micro-gripe on your quilts is where the neck shock cord comes out of the top. It would be a ton better if that was on the side so it doesn't hang in your face.

A contrary preference …

I have two MYOG quilts (as well as one of Tim's). One of my creations has the neck drawstring in the center and one has it offset 1/3 – 2/3). As one who switches sleep positions between left side, back and right side during every night I prefer the center position … the offset drawstring is too awkward to locate when I'm facing away from it.

My center drawstring never hangs in my face because I keep it inside the quilt where it is easily accessible to loosen/tighten when I shift positions or to adjust venting as the temp changes, not outside.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Ben,

The Stripes are made from more water resistant fabrics in the 1oz range. Aspen Impetus 1.1, Sedona Impetus 1.2 and a Orange 20D sample that didn't work for quilt shells but i have enough for a few stripes and they look so good.

Once i settle on one fabric (and probably 1 color sadly) I will post more detail. I often forget how much detail you guys like as most of the time adding the detail i have in the past just leads to explaining it 5 or 6 times a day :)

-Tim

Roger Coffey
    BPL Member

@tachus1

Locale: Southeast

Thanks Tim for all the insight and prompt responses to my questions. I suppose the ordering process does work after all, cause a new Enigma quilt is being built for me now. It was easy and simple. Amost too easy!
    Like a little boy at Christmas waiting on sleigh bells, I'm anxiously awaiting the squeeky brakes of the delivery truck. The timing was just perfect with the release of the quilt and my current equipment needs.
    So as this post is related to recent product changes at EE, I can say you snagged me.
    No complaints about what you're doing. This new quilt, at least in design, and hopefully in the field, will address some of the weaknesses I've experienced in other products.
    Thanks.

alex hansen

@holden425

Rather than bother Tim with another email as I'm sure he has plenty right now with his new web launch and new product, question about the temp ratings I'm sure many of you can answer.
    If I wanted a quilt to take me to 30* F, with layers including down jacket and base layers, should I consider a 40* quilt or a 30*?
    Love the enigma btw Tim!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Alex,

I always add 10f on to a bags/quilts rating.

Roger Coffey
    BPL Member

@tachus1

Locale: Southeast

Alex, my personal love of quilts is mostly centered on this very subject. The variable girth allows them to be camellion-like in use. The more you wear to bed, the less quilt you need.
    The first time I ever used a quilt, it was a 40 degree golite, brand new. A weather front moved in with cold air across the mountains of New Mexico surprising me with a low 20's night time temp. I had a warm pad, and I put on all my warm gear (not much, really), cinched everything down tight and readied myself for a long and miserable night.
    I slept like a baby. I was fine. Certainly not hot, but A OK.
    I think the biggest factor is what kind of backcountry fella are you? Do you climb hard in minimal gear, then bed down quickly to survive the night? Then perhaps you do need a 20 degree bag for a 30 degree night. Or, do you get to camp early and enjoy lounging with the boys by a fire in your super awesome warm down pants and parka? Then I suspect a 40 degree quilt would more than do the trick. After all, you're gonna wear that stuff to bed.

alex hansen

@holden425

roger,
    i currently own an REI igneo 20, at 2 lbs, its great but i have yet to have the opportunity to use it in a climate where it is actually necessary to have a 20* bag.
    i see myself somewhere between your two examples. i dont backpack with a camp fire much. i plan on hiking in the sierras mostly with 15-20 mile days during 3 seasons, and hopefully using my igneo in the winter season for the same purpose. i would be hiking till an hour before sunset then setting up camp, having a bit of dinner and hitting the sack. i may be using a bivy and/or tarp for shelter. i would like to use a stoic hadron for primary insulation and mid-heavyweight baselayers for sleep clothes

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"If I wanted a quilt to take me to 30* F, with layers including down jacket and base layers, should I consider a 40* quilt or a 30*?"

If you have a good pad, and down pants,maybe booties, I would think 40 would work fine.

But it depends.

If you can shift down to feet and legs like in the revelation, and have a puffy jacket on, 40 might be fine too.

I was fairly cold once at 28 with my 40F EE quilt, NO overstuff., thin baselayer and thin fleece, +beanie, on a GG nightlight pad and 1/8" thin CCF pad. Lets just say I was glad when it was time to get up and move around in the morning. It was also 34 when I went to bed, so I was at freezing or below for about 9 hrs. I wrapped my rainjacket around my feet, and that might have made a 1-2F difference there, I could feel it.

My torso wasnt really cold. Only my legs and feet. So, with down jacket, down pants, down booties, and on a good pad, I bet I would have been cozy down to mid 20s.

On a multiday trip where the down will lose loft from absorbing some body moisture, I wouldnt intentionally plan to go below the rating of the quilt. The clothing may be needed for that situation after several days.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I have a 20 degree RevelationX, which I loved until I saw the Enigma :) In the summer months in the Sierras I have not generally needed to sleep in my hooded Stoic Hadron. So in the heart of the summer, a 30 degree Enigma would probably work well even if there is a cold snap (just add the Hadron). In the shoulder seasons, however, I have been very happy to have the 20 degree quilt rather than a lighter, but less warm quilt.

So what to do for 3-season use in the Sierras? Tough call. I personally would probably choose the 20 degree Enigma. It is still ridiculously light and only weighs 2.5 ozs more than the 30 degree Enigma. And even with the sewn footbox I think it can be reasonably vented during warmer weather. But my trips tend to be 3 to 4 days, where I am not as worried about a few ounces.

Either way the Enigma looks fantastic.

alex hansen

@holden425

the 2.5 ounce difference is not my biggest concern, though lighter is nice, i just cant justify buying another bag designed for the same temps as my current bag, especially when it would be costing 350ish dollars to save that Lb

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Alex, I understand not wanting to upgrade if you are duplicating your current gear. I suppose one choice is to sell the bag, but I know a lot of people don't like using quilts below freezing. I have taken my quilt down to around 20, and with a hooded down jacket it was perfectly fine. But I certainly understand the allure of a cozy mummy bag in really cold weather.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I received a 1 off quilt from Tim today.
    I Have been helping him out with his new fabric and sent him some stuff I had.

Tim offered me the mock up quilt he made with a few fabric samples including the fabric I sent him as the liner.
    I was awe-struck and was thinking it would be a 40 degree synthetic quilt.

Holly crap, I opened the box and out pops a 20 degree RevX style quilt.
    It has his newly moded karo dimensions and I was very surprised (having made 2 karo quilts myself) just how level the bag lays on top of you and didn't notice any down shift at all.

I have not ordered a quilt from Emlightened Equipment just because I have made every style and degree quilt I need for my backpacking needs.

The quality and construction of this quilt is top notch.
    I love how many little tiny details he has in each quilt.
    You can open it up flat and it has all the attachments needs to keep it on your pad.

If you are thinking about buying a quilt, don't be afraid of the karo design.
    I'm sure other can attest to his new karo design as well.

Thanks Tim

Viewing 24 posts - 101 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools