Topic

smoke ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

With the fires in SoCal and no doubt more to come, does anyone have a source for current information on smoke in the Sierra?

thanks,

Bill D

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Nick,
    thanks for that interesting page on CA fires…
    However, not exactly what I am looking for…

it has lots of text, data, and fire maps… but tell me little if anything about where the smoke is going… or how bad the smoke is…

I guess what I'm looking for is a map like a weather map, but a smoke map instead… showing how the smoke is drifting from the fires and how bad it is in different locations… specifically for my purposes, how bad it is at various locations throughout the Sierra…

bill

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

The NWS offices were preparing smoke maps for the Mountain Fire last week… Not sure if it's something they do regularly or just every once in a while. Try the NWS Oxnard or NWS Hanford websites.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Thanks Nico… found this:

http://airquality.weather.gov/sectors/conus.php

not sure how accurate it is for the Sierra, but it's something…

bill

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This is for plumes. You can identify them by their "point source" origin. Not so good for generalized smoke, but it will give an idea of what to expect. Clouds and overcast make it difficult to figure out what is going on. The only major fire in the west is the "Mountain" near Riverside, and that is obscured by cloud cover.

Look Here.

Select the region of interest, "4K","Visible", and watch it loop.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Hello. I am trying to find accurate smoke imagery like the screenshot image below. Someone posted this fire and smoke site on BPL originally, and it is not any of the ones in the thread of this post. The site was accurate, visually informative, and had some kind of animation loop. I am considering a last minute change to my plans, and need more information to proceed. Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Awesome, thanks.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tbkirchneraol-com-2

nm

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools