Topic

Sierra clothing too light?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra clothing too light?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

Locale: East Bay

I am heading out of Tuolumne Valley next Saturday with my son over to Glenn Aulin, up to Sunrise and above and eventually back down to Yosemite Valley. My question is wether my choice in clothing is too light or if we should add more layers for this time of year?

Worn:

Wicking T shirt
    Convertible pants
    Lightweight merino socks
    Wicking under shorts
    Bandanna.

For Layers:

650 fIll down coat
    Merino glove liners
    Wool hat
    OR rain jacket

Base layer/sleep wear

Synthetic mid weight pants
    Synthetic light weight long sleeve
    Extra pair wool socks

Our bags are the Kelty 20 down bags

I just want to make sure we have enough to keep comfortable. We like to spend a bit of time in camp and or fishing the areas we camp in and tend to not be in the "hike all day" class.

Thanks for your inputs,

John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

This might be in the wrong forum, should it be in "gear list"? How do I move it?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You're fine here. Looks warm enough for me. I do run hotter than most.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I would say you're pretty spot on. Have fun!

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Looks great – you'll be warm enough for sure.
    Remember to bring sunglasses and a sunhat as well.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

You might want to add something for hiking in the cold morning. You could use you rain jacket. A 3.6 oz wind jacket like the Houdini or its equivalent will give you loads of layering options for hiking in the cold, when you stop, and so on. You can wear it with all you other layers. But not required. At the altitude you will be at most of the time if shouldn't matter too much, just hike faster.

Still that wind layer can very useful if you are into fine tuning your comfort. There is a reason why many of us "don't leave home without it" :-)

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

That's pretty much my default setup for summer hikes in the high Sierra and its served me well so far. The only items I would add are (1) a head net (which I bet you already plan on bringing and just not categorized as clothing, but I just wanted to make sure so you don't go crazy), and (2) a hat that keeps the netting off of your face.

I'll sometimes "split" up my upper torso insulation a bit by bringing something like a Cap 3, quarter zip front, long sleeve shirt and a down vest (e.g. Montbell UL down vest) rather than a down jacket, so I have the option to just wear a little bit of insulation (Cap 3) while on the move. It's a nice option on cold early mornings before the sun has had a chance to warm things up.

What make/model down jacket do you have?

John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

First let me thank everyone that chimed in, I appreciate the advise and comments. I am still a novice and when it comes to survival I choose life.

Next, I thought about a wind shirt, but have already spent over my budget, I may still take a 1/2 zip fleece or a heavyweight base layer top, but haven't decided yet. Weather looks like it might be cooling down next week, won't know till I make a final check Saturday morning

I have a Gerry 650 puffer I bought from Sports Authority. After a sale and a bunch of coupons they let me stack it went from $160.00 to $45.00. It has a stuff sack that is shaped like one of those airline neck pillows, it works pretty well this way for me. My scale puts it right at 10oz. My son has a JCP puffer we bought from another forum member. This jacket is 14oz without the hood.

Thanks again for the help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools