Topic

Lost Coast – August 2-5

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Gabriel Pramuk BPL Member
PostedJul 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Just prepping for a quick trip. I am hoping to do the whole thing. 53 miles? I thought it was longer… Anyway. Starting at the south end, Hidden Valley. Hopefully just one night in there, and one night on the beach north of Shelter Cove. If I have to camp on the night of the 4th I will.

I'll call for a permit for Sinkyone Monday.

Things I am of course concerned about are tides, and the small fire that was in the area. I can't seem to find info on said fire other than the post from a week ago. Anything else I should keep in mind? It could be a busy weekend. Do they cap visitors anywhere? Anywhere I should spend time? See?

I'll be packin' fast and light. 2-3 nights. ULA Relay, quilt, SMD cape, no stove. I'll post pictures when I am done.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJul 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I think your plan is ambitious. Time and height of tides will be your main concern once north of Shelter Cove. To do the 24 miles in one day I think is unlikely to happen. Heading north you will be hiking into the prevailing winds. No quotas yet. Could be busy on the northern section. Miller/Big Flat are very popular.

Don't forget your bear canister.

No wildfire problems since that last little one there.

What's your transportation plan? That's a looong shuttle.

Gabriel Pramuk BPL Member
PostedJul 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Bear can is required, eh? I did read that but didn't want to believe it.

Family drop me off near the south end, And have a friend pick me up at the Mattole River.

Where is the southern terminus exactly?

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedJul 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm

The southern terminus is shelter cove unless you want to do the siskyone section as well.
I havent hiked much of the lost coast but keep in mind that walking through sand is slow.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJul 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm

How to get to the southern terminus in Sinkyone

South end of wilderness – (Usal Beach): Approximately one hour north of Ft Bragg on PCH or 15 miles west of Leggett on PCH from Highway 101. Look for mile marker 90.88 on PCH. Turn north for approximately 6 miles onto unpaved, steep, narrow road.

You don't need a canister in Sinkyone. I've witnessed people getting escorted out without one on the BLM section north of Shelter Cove. You can rent one in Shelter Cove and return it at the Petrolia store at the north end.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...