Topic

Question for Arc Blast users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for Arc Blast users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I have a question about my Arc Blast: How do I tension the stays, and how do I know if the proper tension is achieved? I noticed that one side is more bowed than the other. Do I do this with the pack full or empty?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I noticed a very slight difference on mine also. Very stiff to try to adjust, seems to be fine now, but then this coming Thursday, I'll be out for a week, so I'll get to test if fully. Over the Independence Day holiday, it carried fine with upper teens weight wise, I'll have low 20's for my coming trip, depending on water carried. I hiked continuously for 3.5 hours, stopping briefly for water breaks as my old arms cannot access the water bottle pouch unless I partially take the pack off. My shoulders and hips feel no sore spots or rubs. I left my hose off to save that oz. or so and brought a Gatorade bottle which added another bit.
    Duane

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Got the following from Z-Packs website.

"The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm), but feel free to experiment."

-Mark

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

David,

Sorry I can't find it now, but as I recall, the proper adjustment is with the pack empty.

It's super easy to verify though if you have access to email…just email them; Joe responds VERY quickly.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

The pack needs to be empty, if it is full you will distort or possibly break the buckles.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Be careful. I broke a buckle trying to adjust one side when cranking down on the adjustment strap. Not field repairable.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Also, if you stand the pack upright and then put a little pressure on the vertical frame to bow it a little, that will relieve the stress on the adjusting strap & buckle. This makes it much, much easier to make the adjustment.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

I'm finding that the tensioners pop loose as I'm walking. The cord locks seem inadequate and also hard to retension. In the end I'm not sure that I don't just prefer to hike w/o the "arc" anyway.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Maybe we need to rig up a come-a-long? :)
    Duane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools