Topic

JMT Gearlist Mid Aug- Update

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gearlist Mid Aug- Update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Pow
    BPL Member

@sidpow

Hi All, I'm looking for advice on the completeness of my list and possible ways to lighten my load. We will be doing the JMT from Yosemite mid Aug for 2 weeks.

Things I'm thinking of cutting out:
    1)Fleece – I have a down jacket, long sleeve shirt and short sleeve shirt, beenie, gloves and a rain jacket to keep me warm.
    2)Fire Stiker- We will be bringing two mini bics which have stikers in them, which should work even as a striker in an emergnecy situation.
    3) Are tent poles nessary? I figure we can put our backpacks in the tent if it really is that windy/rocks when we're not in the tent.

Things that are highlighted green are shared weights, and my partner's list is copying mine for simplicity but that wont actually be the case.

Tab in question is 'Gear List'

Thanks again!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5rYdon3s2OdGJLazRMdXJ2SkFrNXo3cFlual9waUE&usp=sharing

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Start with changing your big 3:

Osprey Atmos 65 Pack
    Tadpole 23 Bx Tent 2-Person 3-Season
    REI Polar Pod

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yeah, without too many specifics on your list it's hard to comment on much except for your seriously heavy big 3:

55oz for a sleeping bag is a ton
    At least you are sharing the tent weight
    Your filter can be swapped with aqua Mira or a sawyer squeeze (good way to lose a pound)

Not sure what your mean by "bringing tent poles." I'm assuming your tadpole needs tent poles, you are both bringing trekking poles…what is your question?

A down sweater will always be lighter than a fleece.

No need to fuss with fire starters…no fires allowed.

Have a blast!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think # 3 should be tent stakes, not poles. Reference to packs inside tent if windy was the clue.

Edit: Yes take stakes.

Sidney Pow
    BPL Member

@sidpow

Thanks everybody.

I can't really afford to swap out my big three.

I will nix my fire striker and fleece.

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

Replace toothpaste with powdered (avail at whole foods)

I'm not sure where you came up with just 20.5oz for your BC500; my BV500 weighs 39oz.

Ditch the moleskin. It won't stay on. Use Leukotape on hotspots, and bring a couple corn pads to raise up around a painful blister (and secure with Leukotape).

Ditch the hand sanitizer (!?)

If you're not going till Aug there will be few mosquitoes (esp. this year). I'd take either about .5oz of DEET or better yet, just a head net.

What are the cotton ball fire tinders for? You are not allowed to have a fire and they won't work with your JetBoil. Leave them behind and take 2 mini bics.

Take 1/2 the JMT map set and send the other 1/2 ahead to MTR.

Exfoliating wipes (!?) – exfoliate with a multi-use snot-rag/sponge/bandana.

Take 1/2 the TP and dab dry with an ultra micro weight towel (cut down to size) to be used only for this purpose.

4 liter capacity (3l platypus and 1liter bottle) is overkill. 4 liters between two people (5 if you are worried) should be plenty.

Replace filter with AuqaMira drops. MUCH lighter. You're hiking fast, so a set (1oz each A & B) should be just right for 2 people until MTR. Send another pack in your MTR resupply. Do the math, if it seems tight, bring a few AquaMira tabs (takes 4 hours) to purify a couple liters overnight. I did the JMT (15 days) on one pack of AquaMira (2.95oz) and I drink 7-9 liters/day.

1 pr. socks w/liners + sleeping socks will suffice.

Sidney Pow
    BPL Member

@sidpow

Thanks elieen I've made a lot of your changes.

BV is half of the weight because we're sharing the weight :)

canyon steinzig
    Spectator

@myparka

I'm guessing you mean tent stakes. Not a convenient weight saver

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

I finished my JMT thru hike on 8/7. There were very few mosquitoes along the trail. After Red's I didn't see one other than by Deer Creek and during my evening in LeConte. Still, I didn't use a single squirt of DEET (would rather tolerate a bit of annoyance and a bite here and there than put DEET into the environment!) and used my head net once while getting water by one of the Trinity Lakes north of Red's. So… I think you can leave the repellent/head net behind.

Lots of H20 on trail. Large creeks and most streams (nearly all originally fed by a lake) were running. I was glad to have 2L capacity and never felt the need for more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools