Topic

to trekking pole or not to trekking pole…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Kiel Senninger BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Debating whether or not to try out some trekking poles on a trip I have planned for next week. My main reason to get them would be to try to get a better pitch on my lunar solo by being able to adjust the height which I can't really do with the aluminum pole I got from SMD. Also, I want to get a mid or tarp sometime in the future. Besides a sketchy stream crossing I've never had a desire for poles, even then I've always been able to just find a sturdy branch. I guess I'm worried I'll get them and they'll just stay strapped to my pack. Are trekking poles super awesome and I don't know what I'm missing?

Thanks!

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I'm not generally a fan of "trekking poles" (which are "hiking sticks" in fancy alloys and $75 price tags).

But. They are very helpful if someone is a little unstable on the trail. Or needs to take some weight off their knees. When leading newbies on paid trips, we'd try to have two along (ideally bought and carried by clients) because you can pass the staffs of two through the strap loops of the other (it makes a square knot) and create a 10-foot-long handrail. For a stream crossing, someone competent wades across and someone else competent stays behind. They anchor the extended pole on each end, leaning back to tension it. The clients then have a handrail to use while crossing the creek. Tarp poles, of course. A very few models have (but any could be modified to have) a 1/4"x20 thread bolt for use as a camera monopod. That was more important back in film days, but it still helps in long exposures in low light (at night, aurora, etc) or very telephoto shots.

Every few years, I try poles again. My knees are fine. My legs are much stronger than my upper body. And I conclude, for me, that they aren't worth the weight.

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm

"because you can pass the staffs of two through the strap loops of the other (it makes a square knot) and create a 10-foot-long handrail."

Can you explain this a bit more, I simply can't visualize it at all.

As for trekking poles, I like mine but they're dual use, as my main shelters use trekking poles to set up. I'm also a bit clumsy, so they've helped keep me on my feet more than once.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

>"because you can pass the staffs of two through the strap loops of the other (it makes a square knot) and create a 10-foot-long handrail."

>Can you explain this a bit more, I simply can't visualize it at all

Point two hiking poles at each other, tips forward. Move each pole towards its own tip. As they overlap and the tip of each approaches the handle of the other, pass each tip through the strap of the other. As they continue in the same direction, each pole is passing through the wrist loop of the other pole. The wrist loops will interlock and form a square knot.

I'll try to post a pic.

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Trekking poles can be useful:

1 For stream crossings
2 For steep scree/sand climbs and down…
3 For large steps on trails… both up and down (extra push up and soften the impact on your knees on the downs)
4 For steep trails you can get a little extra push… and even climb faster
5 For steep, lose trails a little extra stability… up and down…
6 For Tarp poles
7 other situations that I can't think of right now…

That said, they can also get in the way.
Sometimes two are optimal… sometimes one… sometimes none.
One is a nice compromise.

Bill D

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm

> "other situations that I can't think of right now…"

I've used them while counter-weighting bear bags. It is easier than a human pyramid.

Stabbing litter to retrieve it without bending over.

Whacking the dew or the spider webs off the bushy trail in front of you.

I once self-arrested on an icy slope with the tip of my X-C ski pole. A trekking pole tip would work as well (better than breaking my legs on the rocks below, but not as well as an actual ice axe).

Smacking the marmot on the Whitney trail which is trying to drag off your lunch.

Clothes drying rack in camp?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Good defense against dogs or maybe bear

Two poles – get tangled with each other, tie up both hands

One pole – a little better, good for stream crossings?, unless you're walking across a log that's a ways in the air

You just have to try them and see if you like them

If you have problems with knees or whatever they might be good

I don't think I'll be taking any with me in the future but I might change my mind

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm

hear hear re spider webs, for some reason when I hiked along the columbia gorge the entire trail was filled with huge spider webs right at head height all along the trail, so adding a bit of swing to the trekking poles each time I planted them provided a nice break from spider webs in face and hair, though of course I try to not mess with them too much, nice webs.

One problem with trekking poles is actually kind of serious, and it's something younger non users will sorely regret when they become older users, if you use trekking poles fairly routinely your knees will probably do much better when you get older, but if you wait til your knees hurt and ache to start with them, it's too late by then.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd have started using them in my 30s, my knees would thank me today.

In terms of using them or not, one thing I can say for sure, if you use them, train with them before hand for enough hikes for your body to feel fine after a very long hike, your upper body is used a lot if you use them right, which I believe many people don't, you basically become a four legged creature when you use them well, which is fun, particularly on very tough terrain, it's quite different as a sensation to regular hiking. On long flats or very mild terrain I don't use them usually, just carry them til I get to non flat terrain. But uphill/downhill/streams/difficult/sketchy/precarious terrain they are great. But I don't generally hike much flat terrain in general so it's not an issue, if I did it might be. I feel like a crab using them at night going down steep sketchy terrain, I could never get down that type of thing without them. If you do try them and get that crab feeling, you are probably starting to use them right.

If you are very fast, by the way, on flats they make you faster, but if you are going pretty slow, they don't do much, that's what I've found. They are similar when used properly to cross country ski poles in terms of motion, action, and engagement of entire body, and I always go faster if I use them than when I don't, but I also grew up cross country skiing so it may be something that was taught re motor memory at a very young age that isn't easy to learn, I don't know, the second you hit the trekking pole stride though you know it, and if you don't, you will find them irksome. Going downhill they will save your knees period.

The straps by the way are so you don't have to carry them with every lift, some people cut those off thinking to 'save weight' but they actually end up carrying far more weight every day because they have to lift the pole each time they plant it, with straps you just push it forward and let it fall, there's almost no weight at all when used properly. You also don't really hold the handles, you let your wrist hang, unless you are really planting them hard like going up or down steep stuff. The only time I can see that you actually lift the pole a bit before pushing it is when you are going uphill, otherwise you basically just push it into a pendulum swing, and then let it fall. Very little weight is involved when you use them right, but if you use them wrong, you have to lift them each time you plant them.

Reggie BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I use them on every trip. I used to do a lot of XC Skiing so when I am hiking I get a little burst from each pole plant. Poles activate the upper body muscles so they can help power you up slopes, brake you on steel descents, and save you energy on the flats.

I also use one of my poles to set up my shaped tarp.

My poles from GOLD gear has a camera mount on one of them. Incredible ease of use for shooting slower shutter exposures.

Yep…I times I just carry the poles for a change of pace. But more often that not, I am just poling along.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

"One problem with trekking poles is actually kind of serious, and it's something younger non users will sorely regret when they become older users, if you use trekking poles fairly routinely your knees will probably do much better when you get older, but if you wait til your knees hurt and ache to start with them, it's too late by then."

I've never used trekking poles and my knees are okay at 59

Maybe you want to avoid hard shock on your legs when you're young?

Maybe using trekking poles weakens your muscles, better to have to balance without poles?

Good question though, maybe…

Any old stick is good for breaking spider webs. Or get your buddy to go first : )

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm

some bodies age better than others, it's kind of a crap shoot, nobody will know when they are younger how their bodies will be as they age. If I were to guess I'd guess there are going to be a lot of knee replacements done in certain sectors of the distance hiking scene and you won't be hearing from those guy here on the forums in the future, but other guys will just walk til they drop of old age, bodies are weird things. I bought some close out gear from a guy on another forum who was quitting because his knees were trashed.

I always used a hiking stick though in general, so moving to trekking poles was just a massive upgrade for me, though it did take me a while to get used to, until I realized they are literally just cross country ski poles in almost every way when used right.

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Reggie, you sound like me, except I still am using tents with poles, they irk me and it's definitely top of my list to get or make a trekking pole tarptent type thing, I find it increasingly silly to carry tent poles when I know I will never go without trekking poles, but my tents are fine for now so I can't justify the money/time to find something else.

For a while I succumbed to 'feeling geeky' or dorky using them, until I realized that when I was in trail shape, I was blowing by almost everyone except trail runners even though I'm 20 years older than most of the people out, and I'm certainly not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but as you describe, it's actually very hard to go slow I find even on flats when you are in shape and using trekking poles, you use your upper body too, it's pretty basic, sort of like biking I guess in that when you do it right you use upper and lower body. I'm working on getting back into trail shape now and my upper arm/shoulder muscles are aching from my last hike, so not sure about jerry's notion about not using muscles, I find I use more muscles, only better distributed for my body type I guess, varies person to person.

One place there is in my opinion no doubt about them helping a lot is downhill, they take weight off your knees, hiking sticks don't work the same way because you can't plant the tips the same way. That crab sensation is very cool, that's all I can say, those who have had it, know what I'm talking about, those who haven't probably haven't pushed these things as far as they can go, it's pretty darned fun.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm

The Kamchatka 2 pole method for doing your #2. One pole to steady yourself and use the other one to keep the wolves at bay.

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

At first, you will find them superfluous. They will be in the way. Bothersome. You will want your hands free. They get caught on brush and clank on rocks. Then you will use them to push off a little, not just for balance, but to drive you forward. Your triceps and latissimus dorsi will get involved in your hikes. Those muscles will strengthen. You will go up hill faster, with less effort, your upper body driving you forward and giving your quads a boost. They will become indispensable. Now, I hate hiking without mine, to the point where I even take them on sea kayaking trips for when I do day hikes. Light trekking poles with good handles and straps (worn like an XC pole) are one of the unsung joys of otherwise bipedal locomotion. Take the time to actually use them and let them make your travels easier and faster. They take getting used to, but it's worth it. And no, a branch is not the same as a good pair of poles…

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm

You'll hear many opinions on this one. My 2 cents: I've always liked using one pole, and over the years have used old ski poles, golf club shafts, and sticks. Never tried using two until I found myself hiking to and from the snow on backcountry ski tours, Naturally I have my adjustable ski poles with me, so I used them. I found I liked them for steep ascents – kinda like 4-wheel drive – and nice for stream crossings if not fast water. Also for steep descents. But I don't like them for flat or gently sloped trails – essentially for most trails – and I don't like them off-trail if there's talus at all. So I don't do two poles for normal walking, but I still like using one, and with light poles, carrying the second one so that I have two for a shelter setup becomes worth it – and then it gives me a backup for the pole I like to walk with. Or if I go with a friend who also uses one pole, we're all set for shelter purposes.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 8:49 am

I just had a similar problem. I was trying to vary the pitch of my hexamid twin tent, but it didn't work very well with the fixed length pole. Also I don't like watching it buckle whenever I pitch my tent very tight. I am about to get one. It will serve the following:

-Continuously variable length Tent / Tarp pole
-Make things easier on one of my knees
-In some situations replace tripod for use with small spotting scope or camera
-Potentially fend off medium sized critters.

There are surprisingly few selections with both 1/4" thread on top and continuously variable length. I'm looking at a Brunton right now.

Kiel Senninger BPL Member
PostedJul 14, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks for the responses. I jumped in and bought a pair of Black Diamond poles. Leaving in a couple hours on a 4 day trip to SEKI. Looking forward to testing these guys out.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

I say "sonny" because you are, from your avatar photo, quite young compared to me – decades younger.

And I say "congrats" because when you ARE my age (septugenarian) your knees will still be going strong. You used your poles on those long downhills and saved their cartilage from years of abuse from you and your pack's weight.

I'm a former XC ski patroller and racer so using two poles is second nature to me. Be sure you learn to properly use the pole straps for taking your weight (and saving your forearm muscles). You can use SEARCH on BPL for that topic and more opinion than you ever wanted.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

> "other situations that I can't think of right now…"

"I've used them while counter-weighting bear bags. It is easier than a human pyramid.

Stabbing litter to retrieve it without bending over.

Whacking the dew or the spider webs off the bushy trail in front of you.

I once self-arrested on an icy slope with the tip of my X-C ski pole. A trekking pole tip would work as well (better than breaking my legs on the rocks below, but not as well as an actual ice axe).

Smacking the marmot on the Whitney trail which is trying to drag off your lunch.

Clothes drying rack in camp"

My vote for best post of the day!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...