Topic

A LIST: “Most windstorm worthy, double wall, 2 person, trekking pole shelters under 2kg”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A LIST: “Most windstorm worthy, double wall, 2 person, trekking pole shelters under 2kg”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Bear with me, as i try to unclutter information. I've made a lot of threads on shelters, but be assured, that the process has helped understand my own wants and needs (sorry for burdening BPL's servers…) i'll be very specific in this thread.

I hope this will be helpful for others too.

Criteria:
    – trekking poles as structure
    – true double wall shelter (ripstop inner, no bivy bags, ONE room for 2 persons)
    – sized for 2
    – weight under 2kg incl. EVERYTHING (trekking poles, inner tent, guylines, pegs, stuff sacks..)

NOW, list the shelters that comes to mind in order of what you believe is most WINDSTORM WORTHY

I'll start with the obvious:

1 – MLD Trailstar with a custom ripstop inner (like 2Oookstar)
    2 -?
    3- ?
    4 -?

Thanks
    Peter

Edit: I know now, that the plural of criterion is not critarias…what a fruitful day.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Stratospire 2 is 1.2 kg. with the ripstop inner and requires only two poles. It presents triangular panels to the wind all around.

The SS 2 has two doors and two vestibules, plenty of headroom and floor space for 2.(See Tarptent's photos and 3-D view.)

You could enhance its wind worthiness by having TT sew stake loops on the fly hem and by preparing two guylines for the hiking poles ahead of time. They would run out through the inside the of the two peak vents. Ask TT for some free Line-Loc cord tensioners and buy Kelty Triptease cord for them.

** I'd recommend MSR Ground Hog extruded "Y" cross section stakes. Very good holding in winds and excellent durability against pounding with rocks.

Further you could sew (and seal) some more guy points on the fly panels as you feel necesary. Be sure to reinforce them inside with sewn-on circles of heavier material like Cordura.

All that aside I'd get a Scarp 2. See BPL's WINTER CAMPING page and photos of my own modded Scarp 2 for winter and windy conditions. A Scarp 2 with 2 crossing poles will be just over 2 kg. but be VERY wind-worthy. (esp. if you do my mods.:o)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Golite SL3 with Bear paw ripstop inner would be a contender.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

ONE room for 2 (?)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Franco i have no idea if you are being naughty or asking a question? :-)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Hi Eric

I'm (for now ;-)) rooting for the Hilleberg Rogen if weights (without trekking poles) get around 2 kg.

I like the mods you suggest!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

That could have been my only serious post for the season…
    It was a question , just not sure what you ment by one room for 2

added..
    Ah OK, now I know

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Franco, i just meant that the inner tent should be one big room for 2 people instead of something like 2 x bivy bags.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Pricey but…

Ruta Locura Lone Cabin with a Bearpawwd custom inner would make a bomber shelter.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0Yo8dBY0I

I don't know if I would sleep much but at least it holds up!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Sean,

I have had my ss1 out in 40mph and it coped well enough, I did have both mid point guylines deployed though.
    Also when ordering Henry added extra ground perimeter guy points for me.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

You could look at one of the new HMG mids with a custom made inner. Given your requirements I would also look at complete tents.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

When I read this I thought you where asking about shelters that use poles.

The Hilleberg Unna is a shade over 2kg and has lots of space.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Are you putting ideology over survival and safety?

Anyhow, my winter tunnel weighs well under 2 kg.

Cheers

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Roger,

Any idea when your winter tent will be available? I know you said your summer tent was going in to production first.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, Stephen. I already have an SS2 but I received the same recommendation from Eric B. when ordering my Notch this week.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nice one Sean,

The extra guy points are a nice option to have.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Anyhow, my winter tunnel weighs well under 2 kg."

Define well

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"When I read this I thought you where asking about shelters that use poles."

Me too. Especially after reading the criteria

Criterias:
    – trekking poles as structure

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

MLD Trailstar with custom inner

MLD DuoMid with Inner

MLD SpeedMid with inner

Golite Shangri-La 2 with custom inner

Golite Shangri-La 3 with custom inner

Oware Alphamid with custom inner

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Hi Guys

I'm sitting here laughing at my attempt to make a very streamlined thread :-) – "it's like boys with toys" (from "Goldeneye")

@ Roger, Let's stick to my original criterias, and we can discuss ideology in another thread, but thank you for your concern, it's a legit question, that i'm very much aware of. Just look at this as a simple BPL brain pool study on a narrow subject.
    The Caffin tent is not available. Roger, i believe you are a master at the teasing game!

@ Stephen, the Unna falls short on several of my criteria.

@ Bradford, Thank you, you are the first who dares to make a list!

NOW, go on and make your (subjective) lists!

Edit: Spelling…thanks Franco! – english is not my first language, so i'm excused… ;-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Criteria

criterion, criteria.
    Yes, it is Greek to me too.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

It seems at 4.4 lbs there are a lot of choices. Our Backcountry Shelter 1 with our 3 side DWR nest is less than that and I've been in 60 MPH winds with it. The Lil Bug Out Tent with a 3 piece vestibule, which is a nearly identical design to the BCS 1 but lower in profile and a little more "tipi" like should fit in that weight as well. The shelter is 25 – 26 ounces, the nest with a 2 -3 k mm sil floor and 3 sides DWR is 21. It requires 6 stakes and a trekking pole extender is just over an ounce while the robust CF pole with 3 inches of adjustment is 6.5 ounces. You can use up to 12 stakes if you like since there are numerous guy out points for maximizing space and anchoring in severe weather.

One word of caution, often it seems at least with larger tents that the stake integrity starts to get compromised at 60 MPH in standard soils using standard stakes. The smaller shelters do better, but an inner nest can accelerate stake out compromise since the floor can get caught by the wind, and the constant stress will slowly pull the stakes up. If you are in the nest, this is less of an issue. It can be mitigated by using more robust stakes at the Nest / Shelter connection or using separate stakes for the nest so the shelter always maintains integrity.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Yama Mountain Terraform 2 w/ inner nest. 40 mph with no flutter. Gusts to 50 mph were no problem. My setup is 38.5 oz. plus trekking poles. Tight for two but a great setup.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> stake integrity starts to get compromised at 60 MPH in standard soils using standard stakes.

A very good observation!
    Too many stakes are short – some under 150 mm (6"). That length will not hold in a strong wind. For the ends of my tunnels I use longer stakes – between 180 and 200 mm (7"-8"), and I do not regret the extra weight.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools