Topic

Seam sealing shelter pitched inside out

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Stuart . BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I've just taken delivery of two MLD shelters – Trailstar and SuperMid – that are going to be quite challenging for me at 5'9" to seam seal while pitched at full tension.

In a flash of red wine derived inspiration last night (yes, that's why I'm asking now) I thought, why not pitch them inside out and seam seal Sistine Chapel style painting them on one's back, just like Michelangelo?

Anyone done this? How were the results? Any suggestions on how to maximise the seam sealing effectiveness?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm

If you seal seams upside down, then when you pitch the tents right side out, it will stretch the seam sealer possibly causing a leak

But, since in my opinion, you don't need to seal those anyway, it doesn't matter : )

If you want to seal it properly, it seems like it would be important to have it right side out, seal it, wait a day or two for full curing.

PostedJul 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

> and seam seal Sistine Chapel style painting them on one's back

Just wear your safety glasses… a drop of silicon and paint thinner into your eye could be nasty.

It seems that working for a big company with non-stop HSE, PPE, and tailgate safety meetings has rubbed off on me….

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Stuart,

I've always thought you just want to seal the outer seams (I could be wrong about that), so just a normal good pitch in the yard should do. Consider Permatex Flowable Silicone, which is about $5.00 and available at most auto parts stores (and I think at Fred Meyer). It is a tube with a tip which is fairly easy to run along a seam for a clean bead.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81730-Flowable-Silicone-Windshield/dp/B000BKEBO0

Edit: the first link I posted was too long, causing the embarrassing problem of an overextended hyperlink. I'm told it can happen to men of a certain age.

Stuart . BPL Member
PostedJul 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the feedback – once my idea saw the sober light of day I started doubting its viability. The challenge is reaching over the large silnylon panels of these two shelters without dripping excess and working on the neatest job possible.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJul 10, 2013 at 6:44 pm

OK I have a different take on how to do this. I did my mid in the living room floor. I used a piece of cardboard as a backer underneath. I pulled each seam tight and guyed the top and bottom out. Did one seam at a time with the Permatex flowable windshield silicone. Let dry for 30 minutes or so and repeat until all were done. Great thing about the Permatex is that is has hardly any odor and is ready to use right out of the tube.

YMMV. good luck, work neatly and have fun.

PostedJul 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Although it will take five times a long, you could do just one seam at a time using the loop at the top. (Or you could do two adjacent seams at once, if you have the anchors for the tie-outs.) Attach tie-outs to door hinges, or across the garage. You can really crank up the tension.

I have done long tarp seams this way, and I think I get better (more) tension than with a regular pitch. You can also place a hand on the "inside" to support seam as you work in the silicone.

Also, if you use Permatrex it has an applicator tip. If you mix your own silicone/mineral spirits, use a syringe (without the needle). Both give excellent control. You will be drip-free.

PostedJul 11, 2013 at 5:49 am

I followed Henry's instructions on the Tarptent website to seal the seams on my Notch. Worked great. Visually, you can't even really tell it's been sealed. By thinning the silicone, it flows into and soaks the thread as well as sealing it into the fabric. When you wipe off the excess (as instructed), you blend the sealer into the fabric and it becomes almost invisible. Added (much) less than 1 oz to the tent and is dry as a bone.

http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html#seamseal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...