Topic

Paradox Packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Paradox Packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Ross,

We intend to offer a Base Talon which would be just a simple single zip 1000 ci pocket. Hopefully we can get the sewers to put a zipper in a long run of fabric, then build the Talon around the zipper. In that case it should be much more affordable than the Day Talon which takes as much sewing time as the 6300 pack bag.

So we're thinking along the same lines, except for this….we had planned to offer it in VX21 and VX33 X-Pac, but it sounds like you might be willing to accept a bit less durability in return for weight savings. How far does that willingness go? Would a 200D Oxford material be acceptable? What about a single layer silnylon?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Nathan

Your "Base Talon" sounds exactly like what I was thinking.

I am not a fabric expert by any means, but perhaps VX07, 140D Dyneema Grid or 200D. Silnylon doesn't really cut it for me. Also please consider a lighter fabric for your lids too. All the best with your start up.

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

I like dyneema, but I don't like the cost. :) Really, dyneema is the perfect material for a snow collar, and I could see a Base Talon in dyneema as well.

The top lid I'd rather have fully waterproof. Maybe VX07, but if you ever bust brush instead of trail walk VX21 would be sturdier.

Silnylon is a good material for certain applications. We can make a sil rolltop bag with packcloth water bottle pockets that is very light. If you put a top lid over it, a Talon behind it, and the load shelf under it then it should be well protected as well as lightweight.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Nathan
    If Dyneema is too pricey, my personal preference would be the 200D oxford. I suppose a heavyweight 70d 2.3oz silnylon would work, but its not my first choice. I like the looks of that TX07 but it is probably not suitable?

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

When do those multi cam dry bags available to purchase? They look really nice.

Right now I have a ula epic I use with big river dry bags for canoe trips. What would your system offer that would be better?

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Ross,

We've got a lot of samples from DP. They have some interesting fabrics that are new on the market.

Diego,

I wouldn't call any of our pack bags a "dry bag". We aren't taping or seam sealing the seams, so there will be opportunity for water to get in. Now, if you remove water sports and limit exposure to rain, then the bags will be very water resistant. The seams are vertical, and they are bound on the inside so water will tend to run down the seam instead of penetrate.

Right now we are planning to offer a 70-75 L rolltop bag in the VX33 Multicam.

If we get firm time estimates from the sewers today then we should have pricing up over the weekend. I've got a small email list I promised to get it out to first, but I will probably only give them a day head start. If anyone wants to be on that list they can email me at [email protected] and request it.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

For anyone interested, introductory prices are set and the packs are available for orders.

Lightweight Backpacks

Prices:

Evolution Frame, no Talon – $299
    Evolution Frame, Base Talon – $329
    6300 Pack Bag with Flat Lid – $229
    4800 rolltop pack bag, no lid – $179
    Day Talon – $139
    Evo /6300 / Day Talon – $599 – Introductory Special

Let me know if there are any questions or comments.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

I went to Outdoor Retailer in SLC last week, then traveled down to the San Juans for a few days. OR was eventful. We sourced some quality hardware and met with Sea to Summit about offering their dry bags with our packs in package deals. Hopefully that will come to fruition soon.

We shot some videos during a hike at around 13K:

Compression Overview

Day Talon

I was able to climb Mt. Sneffels with my wife, and get in a few other hikes. Some photos:
    SneffelsSneffelsSummit

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

SneffelsSunriseView

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

We have added an adjustable height option to our frame. Basically, you have 4 inch extensions that sit atop the side framerails and are held securely in place by tension between the top and bottom encasement. When you desire a shorter frame then simply remove the extensions and store them in your pack. Then you can hike or pack with a shorter frame.

Here is a video illustrating the system:

Frame Extensions

The advantage of this system:

The taller frame provides a LOT of shoulder lift which is excellent for packing big, heavy, or awkward loads. The higher location of the top compression strap also allows you center a pack load between your shoulder blades which improves center of gravity.

The downside of a tall frame is that it limits head movement when looking up (climbing), and it hangs on brush when busting brush. The adjustable height frame mitigates these issues.

Corbin McFarlane
    BPL Member

@raven15

How quiet is it? I notice you say it allows you to draw a bow, but would that even be a possibility? It seems most framed packs are a lot less quiet with a few pounds in them, and start squeaking and groaning, but you would never notice unless you happen to be within 100 yds of a mule deer…

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

It's quiet. Externals rattle because of pin and ring connections. We don't use pin and rings.

Yes, you can shoot a bow. I've practiced this way several times. Here I'm loaded with about 26 lbs.ArcheryArchery

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

We are offering a special.

The Evo, 4800 rolltop, and a black base talon are $449.99 for a limited time.

4800 Rolltop

Lightweight Backpacks

The direct link to the store item:
    Evo, 4800 Rolltop Special

The pack bag is Stone Grey VX21 X-Pac with water bottle pockets and ice axe loops.

The Base Talon functions as a compression panel, weighs under 4 oz, and adds 1000 ci.

Total weight is under 3.5 lbs (1.59kg), Volume is 4800 ci (78 L) for the packbag and 5800 ci (95 L) with the Base Talon. You can use the packbag without the Base Talon.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools